Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The President Barack Obama Discussion Thread

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I know these are tough times, but you would think we could at least spring for a nice chair for the prez-elect. A metal folding chair? This is an inauguration of the Leader of the Free World, not a PTA meeting at the middle school.
    Well, we *COULD* get him a throne....

<ducks and runs!!!>

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    People vote for a candidate for good and bad reasons. It is their vote, so if they want to cast in for a bad reason, so be it.

* I am voting against him because he is going to take away my guns.

* I am voting against him because his middle name is the same as the dictator of a country we invaded.

* I am voting for him because his VP choice is a maverick and purty (Yep. purty as an unbranded cow. )

* I am voting for him because he is for change

* I am voting for him because he will be tough on terrorists.

* I am voting for the other guy because he has experience.

* I am voting for the other guy because he is too old and smells like Grandpa.

* I am voting for him because he is a war hero

*I am voting for him because his ears stick out.

Some may be valid reasons; most are of course not.

My reason for voting for Obama?

* I am voting for him because it will make my Republican mother nuts.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Presidential Humor

I thought it best to place these thoughts on this particular thread. To begin with, some recent Cyburbian history.....

Another thread has a few comments that many Cyburbians were offended by, mentioning our next President's car. I am not here to discuss whether or not that was meant to be just a joke, a comment about the car and its' features, or if there was some deeper (and offensive) meaning.

And our history of presidential humor.....

I recall reading about Thomas Nast, considered a fore-runner with political cartoons. His drawings were from the middle of our country's first full century. I remember the record album that came out just after John Kennedy assumed the Presidency. I have enjoyed the humor that has come at the expense of the presidents that this Bear has lived through. In recent years I watched (and heard) as Bush One, Bill Clinton, and Bush Two were skewered.

I like presidential humor. Yes, it may sometimes get close to or actually reach an offensive level. When it does, backlash (even in the form of forum comments) can pop up. But I would hate to see an environment where our voices (and our humor, even if offensive) are silenced.

Finally.....one of my favorite funny-men is Bill Maher. Maher is very libertarian in his views....with streaks of liberal. He has already done some bits on his HBO series, expressing a concern that the Presidency of Barack Obama will scare away humorists. And quite frankly, the last sentence in the post on the other thread sounded very much like a Bill Maher comment.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    There was an article about this a while back. The late night comics (whom are all white) seem like they are treading lightly on how to poke fun at President Obama. DL Hugley seems to be having a field day with this because in his view "he's a brother, and well yanno". I guess that's gives him the green light to poke fun at such things as "spinners on the new presidential limo" (which i think as a lot of people found offensive, seemed a little distaseful, but a little funny if the comment were put in a better context).

The problem so far with Obama and humor is almost like this man is not human, but like cyborg. The man is sooo calculating it is not even funny. Very statesman like, but he calculates his moves. Not as slick as slick willy, or as bumbling as W it is hard to define Obama right now other than the man cannot bowl, nor can he be a plumber, or has he demonstrated the ability to throw down some shots with a few beers like his secretary of state can.

We need to find some time to really begin finding how to poke fun at this man in a tasteful, non-racist way because quite frankly, our nations racist relationship still remains on shaky ground.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    There was an article about this a while back. The late night comics (whom are all white) seem like they are treading lightly on how to poke fun at President Obama. DL Hugley seems to be having a field day with this because in his view "he's a brother, and well yanno". I guess that's gives him the green light to poke fun at such things as "spinners on the new presidential limo" (which i think as a lot of people found offensive, seemed a little distaseful, but a little funny if the comment were put in a better context).

The problem so far with Obama and humor is almost like this man is not human, but like cyborg. The man is sooo calculating it is not even funny. Very statesman like, but he calculates his moves. Not as slick as slick willy, or as bumbling as W it is hard to define Obama right now other than the man cannot bowl, nor can he be a plumber, or has he demonstrated the ability to throw down some shots with a few beers like his secretary of state can.

We need to find some time to really begin finding how to poke fun at this man in a tasteful, non-racist way because quite frankly, our nations racist relationship still remains on shaky ground.
    Agreed. A nation that has lost the ability to genuinely laugh at itself and its leadership in good humor is a sorry place indeed. The item in that other thread (and I have personally abandoned it) was in a thread in another forvm that I follow that is heavily populated with REAL flaming lefties (the kind capable of sickening Cyburbia's most hard-core lefties) and they were the ones producing that, even adding more of the stereo-typical things, such as an earthquake sound system and so forth, to that car - and laughing at their own work. I was looking upon it in a 'Saturday Night Live' or Onion sort of manner.

And had the McCain/Palin ticket won, I'd have been making similar commentary about them, such as pondering at how many huskies might have been needed to draw Palin's Secret Service approved armor-plated dogsled into Washington and down Pennsylvania Ave during the parade.

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

WOOOHOOO!!!!!

A new day is dawning in Montana and across the country, and the dawn will spread across the world, as well.

Does the sun seem to be shining brighter this morning?

"I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ahhh......

Today I'll be waking up from a sustained 6+ year nightmare.......this is what it feels like to beat cancer in the political sense
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Off-topic:
    I can't wait until tomorrow when I can return to political threads.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

It's official

On NPR, while the quartet was playing, it was noted that the new presidency takes effect at noon. The oath was a few minutes late. (Did Chief Justice Roberts not rehearse at all?)

I would hire Yo-Yo Ma for any gig.
    Last edited by Veloise; 20 Jan 2009 at 1:41 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    end of an error.

Beginning of hope and new direction.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Agreed. A nation that has lost the ability to genuinely laugh at itself and its leadership in good humor is a sorry place indeed. The item in that other thread (and I have personally abandoned it) was in a thread in another forvm that I follow that is heavily populated with REAL flaming lefties (the kind capable of sickening Cyburbia's most hard-core lefties) and they were the ones producing that, even adding more of the stereo-typical things, such as an earthquake sound system and so forth, to that car - and laughing at their own work. I was looking upon it in a 'Saturday Night Live' or Onion sort of manner.

And had the McCain/Palin ticket won, I'd have been making similar commentary about them, such as pondering at how many huskies might have been needed to draw Palin's Secret Service approved armor-plated dogsled into Washington and down Pennsylvania Ave during the parade.

Mike
    Comedy Central (David Allen Grier) has hammered Obama and his heritage and it has been side splitting funny. They had a photoshopped pic of Obama in a durag sporting brass knuckles like a gang banger. Let the comedians have him. He gets elected to run our country and be the foundation of jokes for 4 years.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    May 2004

There goes the chopper

A new day is dawning in Montana and across the country, and the dawn will spread across the world, as well.

Does the sun seem to be shining brighter this morning?

OP, they just loaded the Bush daughters aboard.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    the music was beautiful, and a picture of diversity.

i enjoyed the speech. i thought it was full of hope and energy.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I'm not American but have just watched/listened to the whole thing and Lowery's benediction and the John Williams arrangement including Lord of the Dance were the highlights for me.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Wonderful ceremony and speech, but I am concerned.

Obama, seemingly, has mountains of expectation riding on him, and I hope he doesn't get screwed by the people's hype.

Good luck, Mr. Obama, you're going to need it!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I didn't watch any of the innauguration but listened at my desk. Can anybody confirm that Dick Cheney was there in a wheelchair? I heard he threw his back out packing up boxes while moving out of the Vice Presidential Residence at the Naval Observatory.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I didn't watch any of the innauguration but listened at my desk. Can anybody confirm that Dick Cheney was there in a wheelchair? I heard he threw his back out packing up boxes while moving out of the Vice Presidential Residence at the Naval Observatory.
    I understand that that was true.

See:
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/....html?wprss=44

Mike

Registered
    May 2004
    Yup, Wheelchair! Cheney. NPR had cameras in the hallway beneath the Capitol, and he was wheeled along with W to reach the platform. The outdoor views cut away. He was holding a cane, so perhaps he hobbled down the stairs.

Loading into the limo, the view did not change, and I thought that was somewhat tacky. (Usually a broadcast will avert its eyes as the coffin is placed into the wall, etc.)

Interesting Air Force 1 stair-closing technique by the military guy.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post

It confirms what I have thought for years: Dick Cheney is actually Dr. Strangelove.

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jmf View post
    ... the John Williams arrangement including Lord of the Dance ....
    It was the old Shaker hymn Simple Gifts. Lots fewer notes, and meaningful lyrics.

Last edited by Veloise; 20 Jan 2009 at 4:02 PM.

Registered
    May 2004

Walking down the street during the parade

Wow. Just, wow. Then they get back in the limo, it travels a few blocks, they hop out and walk and wave some more.

I was six in 1963, and still impressionable in 1968. Could the Secret Service have borrowed the Popemobile?

On a happy note (heh), I am in low brass heaven watching all these marching bands. The Tuba Christmas arrangement of Jingle Bells contains part of the National Emblem march, and I keep expecting the melody to go from that back to the holiday tune.
    One of the military ensembles had about ten big horns, and it looked like they were hauling them on their right shoulders, then unison raised them up, placed over their heads, and settled on their left for playing. I will have to do that. (Oh, wait, everything I do is in unison. Nevermind.)
    Right after the swearing in, the Marine band was playing Stars & Stripes Forever, and little kids were jumping around to it, doing square dance elbow turns. I hate to log off and go home!
    Last edited by Veloise; 20 Jan 2009 at 6:03 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

And just his first day of work

On his first day on the job, Obama got the Israelis out of Gaza and two war criminals out of Washington D.C. , all while dancing the night away.

Good job, but try not to set the bar too high at the get-go.

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jun 2007
    It confirms what I have thought for years: Dick Cheney is actually Dr. Strangelove.
    I thought he looked more like Mr. Potter in It's a Wonderful Life, especially with the hat.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I thought he looked more like Mr. Potter in It's a Wonderful Life, especially with the hat.
    Heh heh.

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Wonderful ceremony and speech, but I am concerned.

Obama, seemingly, has mountains of expectation riding on him, and I hope he doesn't get screwed by the people's hype.

Good luck, Mr. Obama, you're going to need it!
    I agree and well said!

I am very impressed with 98% of the events of the day and I am happy to hear that Senator Kennedy is doing much better.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 30
    Last post: 01 May 2009, 9:31 PM
  2. Good Luck President Obama
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 06 Nov 2008, 5:58 PM
  3. Replies: 71
    Last post: 20 May 2008, 10:20 AM
  4. Replies: 7