Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Hello from over seas

Registered
    Nov 2008

Hello from over seas

hi, im Billy, im deployed right now, im in the u.s. marine corps. im an e-4 (Cpl.) and this is one of the only sites not blocked on this ship, were sailing around and have been for the past 4 months with the navy.

"I have no competition for I am competition itself" - Me

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from the the Hoosier State, along the Ohio River.
    My fair city had one of the inland shipyards that built the WW2 LST and we have one as a memorial - LST 325.

There are several Marines who are members of Cyburbia.

Ever consider Col John Glover a hero or legend of amphibious operations ?

Thank-You for you for serving.
    Last edited by JNA; 29 Nov 2008 at 8:49 AM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Greetings from the rainy Florida panhandle.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Greetings from another Hoosier, also along the Ohio River, but in a different time zone.

My grandfather graduated USNA in1917. I know very little of his service history other than he was medically discharged after losing his hearing after standing a bit too close when the ship he was aboard (USS Texas?) fired her 14" guns. My father served in WWII aboard BB59 and CVE72. As you well know, sailors have a way of figuring out the Navy's abbreviation system, and they concluded that CVE stood for "Combustible, Vulnerable, and Expendable". They also figured out, as JNA notes above, that LST stood for "Large, Slow, Targets" Hey, when you're out to sea, you have to have a sense of humor, right?

Anyway, thanks for registering, thanks for serving, and OoRah!
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from an Army brat in Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    welcome from downeast Maine!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Welcome from the far northwest suburbs of Chicago! I have a bunch of friends in the Marines and one in the Naval Academy who will be joining the Corps soon. God bless you and welcome to Cyburbia! We look forward to your posts.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Howdy

From Western Arizona.

I just had a wonderful visit and tour of the USMC Yuma Air Station in Yuma Arizona during the Arizona APA conference. I gotta tell you......I was MAJOR league impressed with the Marines I met and the order of the place. The ability to completely reinvent the base every 10 years or so and work within such a limited space in real terms was the most impressive to me in this case. While they have a ton of land, they really have taken to compact development and efficient use of space. So an atta boy for the Marines and thanks for all of your hard work in the Corps
    Last edited by The One; 01 Dec 2008 at 7:04 PM. Reason: US MARINES RULE!
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Semper Fidelis Billy. I spent a few long months on each of the Kearsarge, the Saipan, and the Belleau Wood during my time in the Marine Corps and miss those days dearly.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hey wow - welcome from downeast Maine!

Closed thread