Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Mixed use overlay district

Registered
    Nov 2007

Mixed use overlay district

I'm working on a corridor improvement plan. Through public workshops we have learned (as we anticipated) that many in the community would like to see the development area become denser, more urban. State statute (Michigan) also requires us to plan for higher density residential, mixed use, walkable development.

This particular corridor was originally developed that way, but "redevelopment" from the 1950s on has not been kind to the built environment. We have been left with huge parking lots in front yards and inconsistent (and downright ugly) design. Anyone have an example of a good mixed use zoning ordinance? One that addresses design as well as land use?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I'm sorry I don't have any good examples off the top of my head but do a google search. Try, "Mixed Use Overlay" + Ordinance and see what you get. This is what I did while getting a new tree ordinance off the ground. I'm sure you will come up with some good examples. Try a bunch of different types of searches too with different features of the overlay you are looking for.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Zoning Rezone PUD vs overlay district
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 Mar 2008, 12:21 PM
  2. Zoning Exclusive overlay district
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 10 May 2006, 5:10 PM
  3. Zoning Controlled use overlay district
    Land Use and Zoning