Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: bashed mailbox!

Registered
    Feb 2003

bashed mailbox!

rats! today my mailbox was bashed. I was working from my home office around lunch time, heard a 'bash' and then a car pealing out... I live near a high school and while I did not see it happen as the room I was in faces the other way, it was the time of day when they leave for lunch, in fact, while I am not on the "main route" a trail of cars goes by everyday at this time (though I will point out that I have lived here for over 4 years and this is the first incidence).

so I can take this in stride. ha ha. I seek no recourse, but I really dont want this to become an epidemic (i.e. an 'I put it up, they bash it down' cycle).

the mailbox if actually fine, it bent back straight, and it is stable, but I removed it for now (mail was dropped in the carport today). my questions: 1) have you ever had this problem and 2) should I put the mail box back in the same spot, move it, turn it "sideways", etc. I dont want to do anything enticing, to attract more bashes. because what if it happened while I was out of town? I just dont like it.

what would you do?
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Mar 2002
    This happend a lot when we lived in rural Alabama for a while. Just about every night ours or someone close to us got bashed. We kept putting the box back up until the point the post man refused to deliver our mail to the crunched up bit of metal we called our post box.

Dad got a new box and put a couple of big bricks in it after dark, he laid in wait for the hellions to come down the street. You could hear them coming "bang" vroom "crash" vroom..till they got to our box

The kid broke his arm, my dad got the tag number

Our box never got bashed again
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Had mine bashed in the middle of the night. We came back from church and there was a police car at our house and the policeman was at our front door. He said he was leaving us a note.

Basically a neighbor was out walking his dog around midnight and witnessed 4 mailbox bashings on our street. Memorized the car and a few letters of the tag. The cops found the car and turned out to be a couple highschool kids. The Dad said he would pay for new mailboxes for everyone and if that was okay with us there would be no charges filed. That was fine with me and a new mailbox (actually better than the one we had) was not only delivered, but mounted on the pole that was remaining with a note inside that said they were sorry.

In my younger days we put smokebombs in a few selected mailboxesbut that tended to be found by the postman and not homeowners
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Get a mail slot. Probably not an option for a lot of people, but wonderfully convenient if it is. It seems like the trend today is to move away from door-to-door delivery and just deliver mail to a street side mailbox or a central point for a subdivision.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Surround your mailbox with the spike strips, so they will only get so far next time.

Make sure to make it friendly to the male person.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    Get a mail slot. Probably not an option for a lot of people, but wonderfully convenient if it is. It seems like the trend today is to move away from door-to-door delivery and just deliver mail to a street side mailbox or a central point for a subdivision.
    It is not just a trend, it is a requirement! Door to door or mailbox to mailbox delivery is a thing of the past in new areas.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    It is not just a trend, it is a requirement! Door to door or mailbox to mailbox delivery is a thing of the past in new areas.
    and old. I live in an older neighborhood and all the homes have mailboxes mounted on the houses (usually on the front porch). However, when we moved in, we got a series of notes from the mailman saying if we did not put up a street box within so many days, he would stop delivering the mail. I have noticed, that older residents are "grandfathered" with their house box, but whenever a home sells and a new resident moves in, a street box is up within a month. (and now they seem to be getting bashed down - ha! - I just took my dog for a long walk and saw I was not the only "victim" today... are we inviting vandalism here or what?!)
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Our mail lady (excuse me postal carrier) walks up 14 steps to our door every day, but they better be 100% clear of snow and ice.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    When this Bear dwelled in very-rural Henry County, OH, we had a metal rural-type mailbox mounted on a large diameter round wooden post that was buried deep in the sands of what was the ancient lakeshore. Not sure how long that telephone pole-like puppy was.....it had been installed by the previous owners. It sure was solid.

If a vehicle ever would have hit that monster they certainly would have been in the news and probably good chances that I would have been witness to a "life flight" helicopter landing in the corn fields adjacent to our land.

Our home in Swanton, OH, has the usual fancy mailbox attached to the front porch.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Grew up in a rural area and I only remember our mailbox being smashed a couple times but it wasn't uncommon for them to be the targets of ballbats, fireworks, and the occasional shotgun. Never did any of that myself but we did occasionally go beer drinking and play a game where the object was to throw the bottle over the roof of our moving car and hit a mailbox on the opposite side of the road.
    Life was simpler then but we were still stupid teenagers.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Our house was formerly owned by an elderly lady and we have a small outside door in our wall which the postman used to put the mail for her and there is an inside door to access the mail. We had never used it ourselves and we sealed each door. Our mail is delivered to a rural type mailbox off the street. No one could whack ours.

The postman cuts through my yard every day and has worn a path through my front yard. Which is okay. I figure the wear and tear on my lawn cancels out any need to tip him at Xmas time.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Our mail box

Here's my suggested solution.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Here's my suggested solution.
    [/img]
    We had one of those too although my dad made it part of one of the two "pillars" that the iron gate was attached to.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2007
    A few years back my brother's neighborhood had a problem with some kids repeatedly doing this in their neighborhood. My brother solved it by putting his mailbox on a piece of telephone post and reinforcing the interior of the box with a couple of pieces of steel rebar inside his mailbox.

The only problem he had after that was about a week later when he had to clean up a splintered baseball bat next to the mailbox.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2005
    That happens a lot around the place here. We have a brick mail box, a bit like RJ's

Mind you i have always wanted to blow up someones mail box (or garbage bin- in not fussy) by way of dry ice
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Mail is never safe. Years ago, neighbors used to bring my mail down because their in-law would stop in my yard and talk to my tree, and take my mail. Mom in law was kinda out there.

In my last home the middle school bus stop was next to my house; until the nasty kids started trashing my lot and mailbox; melting chocolate on my mail, hanging the neighbor's bike in a tree on my lot, finally bashing my mailbox to bits; just out of boredom, waiting for the bus. It all stopped when the bus stop got moved because I was threatening the school district with a lawyer. It really was more than just an annoyance.

BTW, couple of brick mailboxes here have been pulverized in he last few months. Not a fail safe idea.

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Blog entries

Happened to us when I was a kid...

My dad sunk a pole in the ground which had a plate welded to the top. He had a piece of light steel rolled and welded onto the plate, arching over it -- it made a nice little cave to slide the mailbox into. Others tried to bash it later, but it was never damaged...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    No curb and gutter here, so 26 out of 30 times it's a snowplow that's bashed the mailbox as opposed to a drunk/unruly teen or disgruntled citizen.

Registered
    Mar 2004

ha!

You people and your precious mail boxes make me sick! What about my bats?? Whose going to pay for my BATS???!!!

Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Mind you i have always wanted to blow up someones mail box (or garbage bin- in not fussy) by way of dry ice
    Hmm thats going to go over real nice in N America! Haven't you ever heard of the Unibomber or the guy whose mail shut down congress for a month because it contained a 'dirty bomb'?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    My mailbox has never been bashed, at least not to my knowledge. It has been silly-stringed though...by my brother's friends (or enemies) like 10 years ago. We've gone through two mailboxes in twelve years...not too bad. And the post is the same as it's always been.

I know in most of the newer neighborhoods in my neck of the woods, it is a requirement that the mailbox be located on the street so the mail car can pull up to it. Also, I think brick mailboxes have been outlawed or discouraged in many areas since snowplows will often hit them, damaging not only the mailbox, but the snowplow as well. The city has to then pay for fixing both and it gets costly after awhile.

The community mailbox for my townhome at school is permanently wobbly...I think someone must have hit it with their car at some point.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I remember our mailbox got stolen when I was a little kid. It was found in the next subdivision over with a handful of other mailboxes. All I remember was coming downstairs one morning and a sheriffs deputy was sitting at the kitchen table discussing the matter over a cup of coffee with my folks. I was scared until he gave me a Arapahoe County Junior Deputy badge which I were to school that day. What a day!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    I remember our mailbox got stolen when I was a little kid. It was found in the next subdivision over with a handful of other mailboxes. All I remember was coming downstairs one morning and a sheriffs deputy was sitting at the kitchen table discussing the matter over a cup of coffee with my folks. I was scared until he gave me a Arapahoe County Junior Deputy badge which I were to school that day. What a day!
    Oooohhh, a man in uniform making a house call. The few times I've enjoyed "going blue" on my street, it's been for something beyond minor property damage.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Oooohhh, a man in uniform making a house call. The few times I've enjoyed "going blue" on my street, it's been for something beyond minor property damage.
    Except when it involves mail/mailboxes, which can often involve Federal offenses, especially when things are stolen.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Off-topic:
    My mom let my daughter play with the phone when she was around 2 years old and she had managed to dial 911. They dispatched an officer to her house and she answered the door in her robe and curlers wondering what he was doing there
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 16 Mar 2007, 12:12 PM