Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Livable Centers Initiative

Registered
    Nov 2005

Livable Centers Initiative

Atlanta may be known as a sprawl capital in the southeast, but recently we have received validation on our efforts to combat this trend. This year, the US. EPA gave the Atlanta Regional Commission a Smart Growth Award for their Livable Centers Initiative. This innovative program has been around for almost eight years and it ties funding with transportation and land use planning improvements in an effort to combat sprawl. The implementation involves new transportation infrastructure, ordinance and policy changes in local governments, and quality-of-life improvements that bring about more town and activity center development. This is something that should be started by a regional commission, but the benefits really go towards the participating local governments. More information can be found on this program at: http://www.atlantaregional.com/html/308.aspx
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Have GDOT's current funding (and other internal) issues had any effect on the LCI program?
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Have GDOT's current funding (and other internal) issues had any effect on the LCI program?
    I am sure it has. I have not heard anything from ARC yet, but with all of the other transportation projects being impacted, I would imagine that the LCI program is being streached as well.
    Satellite City Enabler

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Green initiative - who does it?
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 01 Sep 2011, 2:44 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 20 Jan 2009, 10:21 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 12 Apr 2007, 9:24 PM
  4. Parks for livable cities