Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread

Thread: hi cyurbia, im from california...

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008

hi cyurbia, im from california...

I live in the north country-side of San Luis Obispo. I think our area has done some great planning, and most recently they approved to build a Target shopping center in san luis obispo, a lowe's shopping center in paso robles, and a super wal-mart shopping in Atascadero.

I plan to attend San Jose State, San Francisco State, or CSU Northridge in urban planning.

I have always dreamed of becoming a city planner and learning more about my area and the planning that was put into it.

Currently, I am trying to figure out which cities are urban in California.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Greetings from a northern California native transplanted to the Florida panhandle.

BTW, why not attend Cal Poly SLO? And don't go to SF State.
    I'll put a plug in here for Sonoma State.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 24 Nov 2008 at 7:11 PM. Reason: SSU, baby!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Welcome from sunny San Diego. I will echo what Richmond Jake said about Cal Poly SLO. You should also look into Cal Poly Pomona. Both schools have very well regarded and accredited undergraduate programs in City/Urban Planning. I've also run into some grads of San Diego State's undergraduate program in public administration (city planning emphasis) that speak highly of the program.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    1) San Luis Obispo County is not apart of northern california. it's apart of central california. and if u want say south or north, then south.

2) cal poly slo or cal poly pomona are not options for me. san diego state has a horrible program.

3) is los angeles, san jose, san diego, and san francisco the only urban cities in california? i would consider long beach and oakland suburbs. and fresno and sacramento ex-urban.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from the Hoosier State, along the Ohio River.

Family is from and still in California.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Greetings from Northern California!

BTW, i would never consider Oakland or Sacramento ex-urbs, they are urban centers in their own right, with Oakland being the hub of activity for the east bay (just like San Francisco being a rock for marin county, and certain areas to the south) and san jose being the hub for the pennisula. Sacramento is an urban area in its own right holding together at least 6 counties in the metro region. Good luck with finding the school that fits you!
    No Signature Required

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Would I fit in in California?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 28 Nov 2011, 1:21 PM
  2. Hi from California
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Mar 2010, 9:19 AM
  3. Hi I'm New (California)