Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What's your favorite State, Province and Territory?

Registered
    May 2006

What's your favorite State, Province and Territory?

They can be anywhere! Here are mine:

State: WASHINGTON. Long live the evergreen state, legal bud and the riot grrl scene!! Seattle is where Im going if Trump doesn't win.

Province: Québec. Je me souviens!

Territory: Les îles de la réunion. Often overlooked but they are an oversees "département" territory of France!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'm an Arizona boy myself. I'm a desert rat, but I love the variety from the low desert to pine forests all in one state. Nothing better than sitting in a jeep on a mesa smoking a cigar and watching the sunset.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have a certain affinity for Louisiana. I love seafood & cajun spices, and I love swamp/marsh areas (favorite areas to canoe/kayak). I love everything about New Orleans--even Bourbon St. despite the fact that it isn't my scene. The varied architecture, eclectic culture, music scene, arts scene... it is all right up my alley. If I could set myself up in any neighborhood in the country, it would very likely be any number of the NOLa neighborhoods surrounding the Garden District (District itself, Tourmo, etc.), Treme, etc.

New Orleans is the only city in the country that my wife and I have made repeat vacation trips not linked to family in the 10 years we've been married.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I like the states that I have lived in

NJ, California, Utah, Colorado, & Indiana

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I enjoy the pace of Colorado. I think I could manage there in retirement. Nothing to do for the day... sure why not?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I only knew Colorado up[ to a month ago. Washington is doing nice things for me (although far removed from Seattle)

For some reason, the Mid-Atlantic speaks to me... DC-Baltimore-Philadelphia. I have no clue why. I enjoyed my time in the area, when I have visted and always seem to want to go back. Could it be because I have only visited and not lived there? Who knows.

Also, I love Los Angeles... friends and family said I would hate it, but I loved it.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I was thinking about this question most of the weekend... and I have come to the conclusion that I don't have one.

There are elements of so many different states that I enjoy, but there is not one state that I have been to that puts it above the rest in terms of a favorite.

I can tell you that I love the weather in the south, the visible and cultural history of the east coast/ new england states, the ruggedness of the UP, and small town character of the midwest, and the snow sports of the mountain states.
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by zman View post
    I only knew Colorado up[ to a month ago. Washington is doing nice things for me (although far removed from Seattle)

For some reason, the Mid-Atlantic speaks to me... DC-Baltimore-Philadelphia. I have no clue why. I enjoyed my time in the area, when I have visted and always seem to want to go back. Could it be because I have only visited and not lived there? Who knows.

Also, I love Los Angeles... friends and family said I would hate it, but I loved it.
    I'd say LA is a great place to visit, and maybe live as a single person, but I'm not sure I would raise a family there unless I didn't have to deal with the commute. I'd rather live up in SLO with Raf or down in San Diego.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I could say that I like and don't like things about many states.

But overall, the states that I think I could see myself living in and enjoy and that mostly seem to have their act together are Virginia, Texas, Oklahoma, and Arizona. Possibly Colorado too.

I like many aspects of the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Iowa, but I think I would be bored to tears living there and the weather is too cold and/or volatile much of the year.

I like many aspects of Illinois, but it has been plagued with political corruption, poor leadership, and mired finances and tax burdens for far too long.

I very much like to visit Florida and Wisconsin, but I don't think I would enjoy living there for various reasons.

I liked visiting central Indiana and SW Ohio. But there are some aspects I don't like, like their haphazard development patterns. It's wonderful that the states have budget surpluses and thriving economies, but the local road networks in some of the newer suburban areas seem like they're 30 years behind the curve. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. People also don't know how to drive in the snow in Indiana. I don't get it...I feel like I'm in the Deep South, even though it's still the Midwest. A lot of my sentiment here could be applied to the actual Deep South states as well, like TN, GA, and the Carolinas. Great economies, low taxes, low cost of living, nice people, laid-back, beautiful terrain, but wages and infrastructure that may or may not have caught up yet.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jun 2009
    State: I've always loved Oregon and Washington, so one of those two. I'd say California if it wasn't so expensive. Sure is beautiful, though. I loved Colorado, too, but it's getting pricey there, too. I could someday retire in the mountains there, though, in a 1,500 sf cabin with a nice view.

Province: British Columbia. So beautiful. I obviously have a thing for the Pacific coast.

Territory: British Virgin Islands seems quite nice.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I
    I liked visiting central Indiana and SW Ohio. But there are some aspects I don't like, like their haphazard development patterns. It's wonderful that the states have budget surpluses and thriving economies, but the local road networks in some of the newer suburban areas seem like they're 30 years behind the curve. I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. People also don't know how to drive in the snow in Indiana. I don't get it...I feel like I'm in the Deep South, even though it's still the Midwest. A lot of my sentiment here could be applied to the actual Deep South states as well, like TN, GA, and the Carolinas. Great economies, low taxes, low cost of living, nice people, laid-back, beautiful terrain, but wages and infrastructure that may or may not have caught up yet.
    Back into the arbitrary geographical designations. The Deep South states are LA, MS, AL, GA with some of SC. The upper 1/3rd of Indiana is more traditionally Midwestern. The lower 2/3rds of Indiana is lot more Mid South than Midwestern and has more in common with KY and TN. Trust me, I know most of this from first hand experience.

If I had my druthers, it would be the UP of Michigan and the upper 1/3rd of the lower peninsula.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Back into the arbitrary geographical designations. The Deep South states are LA, MS, AL, GA with some of SC. The upper 1/3rd of Indiana is more traditionally Midwestern. The lower 2/3rds of Indiana is lot more Mid South than Midwestern and has more in common with KY and TN. Trust me, I know most of this from first hand experience.

If I had my druthers, it would be the UP of Michigan and the upper 1/3rd of the lower peninsula.
    Mid-South?!? Now we're really splitting hairs. I tend to use the terms The South and The Deep South relatively interchangeably. I know I shouldn't, but I do.

Regardless, it is always interesting how areas along and south of I-70 are more Southern than Midwestern despite being in traditional Midwestern states. The South is closer than you think!
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

So you like 10 months of winter and 2 months of bad sledding?

The UP is amazing in the summer months, but it can be an evil b^#@( come winter.

As for the south... parts of NC feel like the south to me. Other parts feel (and sound) like a mix between the North East and Midwest.
    There is no such thing as failure, only learning experiences. However, it is our choice to learn the lesson and change or not.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Regardless, it is always interesting how areas along and south of I-70 are more Southern than Midwestern despite being in traditional Midwestern states.
    A good chunk of the settlers of that area came from Alabama, so...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Speaking of the South... I have always consider Memphis to be my "second city". I really like it there and have been there often. (Now if only the crime would settle and the economy grow...)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    A good chunk of the settlers of that area came from Alabama, so...
    Whereas Northern Indiana was settled by either european immigrants or New Yorkers and Ohioans/Pennsylvanians.

Mid-South?!? Now we're really splitting hairs. I tend to use the terms The South and The Deep South relatively interchangeably. I know I shouldn't, but I do.

Regardless, it is always interesting how areas along and south of I-70 are more Southern than Midwestern despite being in traditional Midwestern states. The South is closer than you think!
    Yeah, there is a difference between the Mid South and the Deep South.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Yeah, there is a difference between the Mid South and the Deep South.
    Yes, yes there is.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    So you like 10 months of winter and 2 months of bad sledding?

The UP is amazing in the summer months, but it can be an evil b^#@( come winter.

As for the south... parts of NC feel like the south to me. Other parts feel (and sound) like a mix between the North East and Midwest.
    I think NC has had a lot of immigrants from those areas which probably contribute to that. Where I live, they have had a lot of people come in from other parts of the county/world. As a result, it isn't a typical deep south city and has a different feel to it. As for the UP, your probably right. Plus, by the time I could actually move up there, I would been in the steam bath for so long that I couldn't take the cold weather anymore.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    California and Florida.

Who can't appreciate earthquakes, mudslides, drought, hurricanes, sinkholes, and alligator attacks?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    California and Florida.

Who can't appreciate earthquakes, mudslides, drought, hurricanes, sinkholes, and alligator attacks?
    You just need a third home in Kansas so you can enjoy tornadoes too and you'll have the perfect disaster lottery.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm

Still Colorado
    then
    Virginia
    then
    maybe some other part of California
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 25
    Last post: 01 Jun 2014, 4:49 PM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 27 Nov 2013, 10:35 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 11:32 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 May 2005, 12:43 AM