Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Throw me a bone with a GRE range

Registered
    Jun 2007

Throw me a bone with a GRE range

So, I know that there is no threshold for GRE scores for MUP, but I was wondering if anyone could point me in the general range of scores one would need to get into the following schools, with the understanding that the applicant has a strong GPA, letters of rec., and work experience.

Berkeley
    MIT
    Harvard
    UCLA
    USC
    Cornell
    Columbia
    Rutgers

I have searched various websites and I am not getting any definitive info concerning entering classes. If you are in one of these programs and can shoot me your gpa, gre's, etc. that would be helpful.

Peace, Love, Community

Registered
    Sep 2006
    I got a 1200 on the GRE (650 math, 550 verbal) and 6.0 on the writing. I had a 3.7 GPA from Berkeley undergrad and got into UCLA, USC and Berkeley for grad. I am currently at UCLA. Hope this helps.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Hello. I got a 1480 in my GRE (740 math /740 verbal) and 6.0 in the writing. Accepted into MIT, Harvard and Cornell. Berkeley reject. Going to MIT Fall 2007 onwards.

Best of luck for your GRE and applications!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    yeah most of those schools i think require a base line score, something like 600 verbal, 500 math 5.0 writing if I recall my conversation with some admissions person at harvard correctly. I hope i score as well as the above guy, thats pretty impressive...

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Rutgers has a min of 1100, if I recall correctly. I believe someone here mentioned admission to Rutgers for scores slightly under with an otherwise strong application.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Good to see these scores. I'm not going for a planning degree but I am entering graduate school in the Fall. I have a 3.93 undergraduate gpa but have not taken the GRE yet. Ah well, I'm just going to a dinky state school anyway (did the private school thing for undergrad... too expensive).
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2008

be mindful that . . .

not all urban planning graduate schools require the GRE. Check the website of individual schools and you'll find that a few schools don't require it if your GPA was above a certain percentage and some don't require it at all.

I can only speak for UCLA. It seems that the GRE determines your funding more than your admissions. They care for your resume the most. That is the impression I got from going to a billion of their workshops and speaking with the professors and counselors. They are looking for people that are interested in public affairs, social justice, and in making the world a better place not scores and gpa.

Oh and I forgot to add that if your math scores are low they'll have you enroll in a math boot camp the summer prior, so you should be fine.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by njm View post
    Rutgers has a min of 1100, if I recall correctly. I believe someone here mentioned admission to Rutgers for scores slightly under with an otherwise strong application.
    1110-560 Verbal, 550 Math, 5.5 Writing. Admitted to Rutgers, Ohio State, Portland State, Ball State. Attending Rutgers on scholarship.

Remember it's about the overall application.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 13 Mar 2011, 2:52 PM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last post: 10 Nov 2004, 12:27 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 20 Sep 2003, 3:58 PM
  4. Replies: 43
    Last post: 22 Jun 2002, 12:23 PM