Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Tunnel design

Registered
    Oct 2008

Tunnel design

Our relatively upscale residential neighborhood was cut off from another part of the city when a limited access road was put in 15 years ago. We've been discussing the possibility of re-connecting via a tunnel of some sort, in that it's really not feasible to bridge over. However, the only way people would support this is if the tunnel is sort of low capacity and low speed, safe and bike/pedestrian friendly. We don't want it to become some roaring thoroughfare into the neighborhood, or to become a place where criminals hang out.

Does anyone know of any examples of a good looking tunnel that goes into a residential area? Or of a website where we might find some ideas?

Thanks much, and I Hope my question isn't too vague.

rj

Registered
    Nov 2008
    I think your main criteria should be sightlines and visibility - pull out the CPTED manual, go through it and really hammer out what needs to be done. An example of the top of my head of a nice tunnel/underpass is the Chilco Underpass in Vancouver's Stanley Park - wide, bright, easy to see approaches on either side, no way to get jumped unawares inside. Maybe someone has a pic?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I hate too disappoint, but the only way you will avoid it becomming a pass through route is to build it yourself. This could cost millions of dollars. In order for it to qualify for federal or in many cases state funds it would have to be a major roadway. In addition, you would be required to look at all NEPA requirements because I assume you will be impacting the other route which is most likely a federal-aid roadway.

Your agruement about pedistrian activity causing a criminal arguement is NIMBY btw, most pedestrains connections only enhance the safety of streets by putting more eyes on the street and safe places for pedestrians to walk in comparision to the roadside.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Oct 2008
    spatialmongrel, great suggestions! Thanks very much.

DetroitPlanner, thank you, too. We may have a way to get the funding. We're not worried about pedestrian activity creating the potential for crime -- just the opposite. The more pedestrian traffic we can generate, the safer we think it will be. Our concern is that it not simply became a place for cars to go zooming through.

I really appreciate the feedback!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Example of bicycle tunnel anywhere?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Jun 2010, 2:44 PM
  2. Russia wants tunnel to Alaska
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 19 Jul 2007, 11:39 AM
  3. Seattle Tunnel