Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: End of Year Vacation Time still to be taken

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

End of Year Vacation Time still to be taken

So here it is Dec 3, I still have 14 days of vacation and there are only 18 working days so it is

RJ TIME

or carry over several days to next year.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    We have fiscal years that start on July 1, so usually I'm cashing in on my RJ time right before Independence Day.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I have one floating holiday that must be used before the end of the calendar year or else it is lost.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    I still have 83 vacation hours, but I can carry over two weeks if I want.

I will be utilizing some vacation time between Christmas and New Years. Just a few vacation days and I can get almost two whole weeks off.

I'm sure there are others that do this as well?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I have 12.5 vacation days, 5 personal days, and 8 comp days. Plus I keep accruing more comp time.

This year we're allowed to carryover 10 vacation days, but they have to be used by June 30, 2009. I'm carrying over them all .

I've request the 5 personal days, 4 comp days, and 2 vacation days. A nice long X-mas/New Year's break.

I'm hoping they let us cash out some of our comp time. Otherwise I may lose some of it.

One issue I'm having is that by taking this time off I have less time to do all the work that is required. I should be enjoying the time off but instead it is kinda stressing me out!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I work for myself so I can take as much vacation as I like or think I can afford. Unfortunately, I find it much harder to do that when someone else was telling me how much I could take.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    My wife has to take 2 days on top of what we're taking off for our trip to see her folks for Christmas. We're taking off the 11th and 12th in order to head for the mountains of sitck around town.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    My paid time off rolls over at the end of the year (I do have one of my two floating holidays left that I have to take or lose), but, since I've only been with this firm since late June, I don't have all that much accrued. I generally take off the week between Christmas and New Years, but I'll probably work some half days this time around to save some of my leave. My wife's company is "use it or lose it", so she's taking off a good chunk of December.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Heading into Christmas i have over a 100 hours of vacation. Our company holidays are Christmas, day after Christmas, and New Years. Due to the the economic climate here in CA we will be shutting down our office for the week between Christmas and New Years. I normally work a day or two between Christmas and New Years and keep my vacation time rolling so that i can have longer vacations in Central America or other places I have been thinking about going. So in actuality i will be taking 4 days off to cover this shut down, but i get 3 weeks paid vacation anyways, so i am in good shape for hopefully a quality vacation next year .

BTW turning lemons into lemonade by taking the princess on a 2-day excursion to disneyland.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    We can roll 10 days over into the next year. Anything more than that you loose. I have 11 days, so I will be taking an extra day during Christmas time while Mom is on town and carry the other 10 over.

Mrs. P started her new job in August so she has very little time accurred.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We cab roll over up to 300 hours aka 37.5 DAYS! I don't have near that much so I'm not worried.

Gotta save up for the honeymoon
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

December Blues

Woe is me!

This Bear has just a single vacation day remaining. People that I cover for all have some days left.....Production Control Manager (9 days), 2nd Shift Supervisor (1 day), 1st Shift Supervisor (4 days). December is gonna be one long "blanket" job.

Woe is me!

Oh yeah.....I like doing those other things. December is a slower period in my biz, so no biggie. Since I don't drink wine, I thought I would just "whine".
    _____

We do not allow vacation days to carryover. Even though I am one of nine owners, my share is not enough to change the policy. I would prefer that we allow 10 days to be carried into January (and no farther). Oh well.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I've got 206 vacation hours to use ....we can accumulate up to 240 vacation hours and then it goes to sick leave hours . Guess I need to take a vacation, huh?
    Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. :-o
    - Yogi Berra

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Mine are going to balance out by the end of the year.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    What is this vacation time you speak of?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2007
    When I was in the Marine Corps we could roll over up to 90 days!! at the end of our fiscal year (September 30). There were more that a couple years where I had to take a lot of days off in September or August to avoid losing any days (well, they buy them back from you so they aren't really lost, [I]but[I]...).

Working in personnel, we would commonly take our vacations and just never process it through the system.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I've got about 3 weeks I'm carrying over. No problem until I reach 300 hours, which will never happen.

The local non-profit hospital system is requiring everyone to take 10 days of vacation time before the end of the year. The reason is that accrued vacation shows up on the balance sheet as a liability, and they want their balance sheet to look better for funding in a bad economic climate. It will reduce liabilities by over a million dollars.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    What is this vacation time you speak of?
    Off-topic:
    Every Friday afternoon, sweetheart.

We can carry up to 240 hours of VT into the next year. Anything more, you lose.
    I will not be hamstrung by that rule.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 18 May 2012, 6:02 PM
  2. How much vacation time do you get?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 26 Sep 2011, 1:26 PM
  3. Christmas Vacation Time
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36