Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Your thoughts on fur

Registered
    Aug 2001

Your thoughts on fur

As an animal lover I have never really considered wearing fur. I have recently begun to rethink that, as I often find myself wearing one or even two around the house. Yesterday I was not feeling well and lay down in the Lazy Boy. Even with a fleece throw I was still chilled when the fur came over to lie down on me, stretching between my legs with his head on my chest. (He also does this at night in bed.) within minutes I was nice and toasty warm, and later the other dog joined him, so that they were both lying on top of me in the chair.

Natural fibers are wonderful to wear. Cotton, linen, hemp and silk feel so good and breathe, helping the body to regulate temperature. Wool and down are unbeatable for keeping warm in cold weather. So what about fur? The big difference is that an animal must die to produce it (unless you wear a dog as I do). Does that mean it is wrong in all circumstances? What about native people living in the frozen Arctic north (Toronto)? Does the same moral reasoning against fur apply to leather shoes?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I wear leather boots or shoes every day so I have no problem with people wearing fur other than I generally don't find it aesthetically pleasing. I have a down filled parka that has a detachable fur collar that wraps around the hood. I usually have the piece of fur detached, but when I am out for a walk and the snow is coming down and there is any sort of wind, that strip of fur gets put back on. It works wonders at catching the snow and ice before it hits my face.

FWIW, I've also worn jackets with faux fur collars on the hood and they seem to work just as good. If I were buying a new jacket, I'd probably go with the faux.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    As long as we're not making species go extinct, I have no problem harvesting them for their fur.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I see no difference in wearing fur or eating meat, it's a traded commodity and animals are killed to provide it. It matters little if you are talking cattle, hogs, fish, mink, or any other animal. If you are OK with eating animals as food, wearing their skins is no great leap.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

this thread may go south real quick

I'm sorry but I snickered completely inappropriately at the title of this thread - I'm really sorry, I'll just go back to work now...

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    I see no difference in wearing fur or eating meat, it's a traded commodity and animals are killed to provide it. It matters little if you are talking cattle, hogs, fish, mink, or any other animal. If you are OK with eating animals as food, wearing their skins is no great leap.
    QFT. I'm not into wearing fur as apparel, but that's just because I'm too cheap to buy "the real thing". OTOH, if I've named it, I'm NOT going to eat it. I may wear it, however, as my cats and I practice symbiosis: they give me warmth, I give them soft. The dog is a little large for snuggling.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I'm sorry but I snickered completely inappropriately at the title of this thread - I'm really sorry, I'll just go back to work now...
    Furries???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I believe I had the same thoughts as you. What is wrong with us?!
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I am more of a leather fan than a fur fan.

(please take your mind out of the gutter and wash it off.)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I can't tolerate anything more than short and narrow trimmed fur. A landing strip. Less is more.

EDIT: I should have read through the entire thread before responding. Never mind.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    You need to get yourself more into the gutter my friend. lol

Anyways, I have a leather jacket that I dig, but where I live now I'm kind of afraid to wear it. Clothing made out of animals is not smiled upon here. Coincidentally and guttery (is that a word?) I've heard that fur IS popular around here.

My own personal view is that its no different than eating meat, so long as its done sustainably.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I have a zero tolerance for fur clothing. It isn't that I think killing an animal is bad. It is that I know that if this trend regains popularity, we will once again end up in a situation where animals are captured and skinned alive in extremely inhumane conditions just for their fur. In fact, this act hasn't even fully stopped yet even though fur has not regained much of its lost popularity.

If you wouldn't do it yourself to your own pet in front of your kids, it shouldn't be done.

My 2 cents.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Still breathing

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    ... Even with a fleece throw I was still chilled when the fur came over to lie down on me, stretching between my legs with his head on my chest. (He also does this at night in bed.) within minutes I was nice and toasty warm, and later the other dog joined him, so that they were both lying on top of me in the chair.
    Part of why the heater dogs & cats are so warm, along with their coats, is their body temp. A pelt would not be as cozy as a live (purring, kneading) kitty.

In the family estate sale was my mama's fur coat. Digging through the photos, it appeared to be an acquisition from their first year together (married Thanksgiving weekend, living in the D, Louisiana girl would have been cold). Bonus: she looked very happy and lovely in the photos.

I couldn't justify bringing it into my home, let alone ever wearing it. And I couldn't see re-making it into four teddy bears (a way to keep a family heirloom around and share with several offspring). Further, I never saw her wear it, so my two younger sibs would have had no interest. It's someone's else's problem now.

Technical fabrics are more flexible and better for the purpose.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I don't have a problem with it if the animal is being raised for consumption and the whole animal is being used. I don't like to see wild animal fur used as a fashion statement.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Jan 2009, 4:31 PM
  2. Thoughts on NYU RE
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 24 Dec 2008, 1:31 PM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last post: 09 Dec 2008, 7:48 PM
  4. Your thoughts: MUP programs