Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Large scale sketchup city centre models

Registered
    Nov 2004

Large scale sketchup city centre models

Our office is working on a new city centre plan which requires a Sketchup model of the existing and proposed towers (approxiametly 10%) as well as massing models of the proposed FAR dedications. The area size is approxiametly 4 km by 2 km so it is a very large model. Has anyone had experience in making a model this size? Anyone know any good examples of previous large scale models?

Main goal is to help with analyzing urban design issues such as how to deal with transition from 1.5 to 3.5 FAR as well as skyline issues. I am sure scores of other issues will arise

Registered
    Nov 2008
    I worked on a model of the University of Arizona campus. it was about one square kilometer. We used autocad plans as the base (that gave us building footprints, hardscape, etc.) and then we made plant components for all the tree species and put those in.

Our buildings were primarily boxes, but the heights were accurate according to data we got from the maintenance guys.

We also do some detail work on some of the plazas and public spaces.

We built it for a Google contest in order to get our model into Google Earth, but we were unable to enter it because we did a model of the entire campus, including topography, and google could only use collections of buildings.

If you go into google earth, go to a city (I recommend Las Vegas), click on "3D buildings" and tilt the ground plane till you can see the horizon.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I posted a similar question on land8lounge. Most of this work is a lot more detailed than simple boxes though.

http://www.land8lounge.com/forum/top...od-program-for

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    I posted a similar question on land8lounge. Most of this work is a lot more detailed than simple boxes though.

http://www.land8lounge.com/forum/top...od-program-for
    You can make an easy working model off of aerial photos and parcel maps. If you're just looking for general context of massing, this will suffice. If you want to paint a pretty picture it will entail an enormous amount of work. 3D modeling is tedious.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    thanks for the comments. Looks like the project is taking place much slower and a much smaller scale than anticipated which has given me much more time in preparation.

Will provide some images of the work as it is nearing completion.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Jan 2011, 12:58 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 Aug 2009, 4:42 PM
  3. Large-scale senior developments
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 04 Dec 2003, 7:58 AM
  4. scale models
    Design, Space, and Place