Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Phoenix

     
    Registered
    Mar 2004

Phoenix

Has anyone been? I'm going tomarrow and will be seeing the Cubs-Pads in Peoria, does anyone have any info on where to go?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Don't know anything about Phoenix, but I'm going to see the Dodgers play the Tigers in Lakeland on Sat. Can't wait..first spring training game this year...
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Peoria is not tops on my list. I used in live in the adjacent City of Glendale. They are both a little dull. Near Peoria Sports Complex, there is Arrowhead Mall which has every well known national chain restaurant. Not many nice bars or night life out that way. For nightlife try Scottsdale. The Phoenix area has quite a collection of excellent non chain restaurants. One of my favorite restaurants is Durant's. The place is like stepping into a time warp. It is a classic steakhouse with a 50's feel, probably because they haven't changed the place in 40 years!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If you get to Scottsdale, try Don & Charlie's Steak House.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Also very good, but crowded during spring training because the Giants games are played 1/2 mile up the street. I can't wait for spring training to be over. Working close the Giants games, I have to check their home schedule to plan my out of office field trips because traffic is a nightmare.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    Also very good, but crowded during spring training because the Giants games are played 1/2 mile up the street. I can't wait for spring training to be over. Working close the Giants games, I have to check their home schedule to plan my out of office field trips because traffic is a nightmare.
    I typically make a pilgrimage Scottsdale to catch the Giants each spring but not this year.

     
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Yeah, I got back tonight. I didn't go to Don & Charlie's, even though it was right next to my hotel. I ate at Buckets, which was good. I have some pics of Phoenix's downtown which I'm still uploading. I ended up going to three games. Cubs lost twice, and the Giants lost.

I've lived in Phoenix before. Definitely check out Scottsdale if you can. It is really where most of the "hip energy" is concentrated in that desert valley.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Supertall View post
    Has anyone been? I'm going tomarrow and will be seeing the Cubs-Pads in Peoria, does anyone have any info on where to go?
    Today's New York Times Travel Section--the biggie, it's Sunday!--shows what there may be to love about the city and suggests an itinerary for tourists, in "36 Hours in Phoenix":

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/11/30...ours.html?8dpc

While Supertall has long left us, he effectively has been replaced by Supershort Seana who thinks that this article is worth a look.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    Today's New York Times Travel Section--the biggie, it's Sunday!--shows what there may be to love about the city and suggests an itinerary for tourists, in "36 Hours in Phoenix":

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/11/30...ours.html?8dpc

While Supertall has long left us, he effectively has been replaced by Supershort Seana who thinks that this article is worth a look.
    This article missed downtown Tempe and Scottsdale which if you only have 36 hours in the Phoenix area they are must sees.

IMO the best place for Mexican food in Phoenix is Via De Los Santos. The place is a dive but the food is and drink are truly authentic.If you can take the heat then Los Dos Molinos is a must visit.

Pizza Bianco is always rated as one of the best (and most overrated) pizza places in the country.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    This article missed downtown Tempe and Scottsdale which if you only have 36 hours in the Phoenix area they are must sees.

IMO the best place for Mexican food in Phoenix is Via De Los Santos. The place is a dive but the food is and drink are truly authentic.If you can take the heat then Los Dos Molinos is a must visit.

Pizza Bianco is always rated as one of the best (and most overrated) pizza places in the country.
    I concur. Mill Ave. in Tempe is one of the few walkable urban areas in the valley. Plus, it has the vibrancy of ASU adjacent to it. I think that to realize Phoenix in 36 hours, you MUST take a hike in the urban mountain parks. The article already noted to visit not in summer. As long as you do that, the hikes are great.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    The article already noted to visit not in summer.
    I will be attending a conference in Phoenix next year...in August. Ugh.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    I will be attending a conference in Phoenix next year...in August. Ugh.
    August in Phoenix is a lot like August in the South except when the thermometer says 110 it means 110 where in the South it says 95 but it feels like 110.

Let us know when you are going to be out, we can cry in beers over what has happened to the Braves and what your Dawgs are going to do to my Sun Devils "Between the Hedges."
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Let us know when you are going to be out, we can cry in beers over what has happened to the Braves and what your Dawgs are going to do to my Sun Devils "Between the Hedges."
    Will do - looks like I'll be out your way for most or all of a week...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ahh....Yes....

I've yet to spend much more than a day and half in Phoenix since I've been in Arizona. Mostly for seminars and meetings and other short visits. I did stay at the Hotel San Carlos downtown. Once the downtown has the people mover and continues to mature and implode back on itself with regard to density and new commercial/condo developments, things will get better. It really reminds me of pre-1993 Denver right now.

Now if I could only get Brocktoon to take me to that Mexican restaurant he's been talking about
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Registered
    Dec 2006
    That implies you waited hours in line to get a table

Despite its downfalls, the Valley, especially Tempe has a special place in my heart. For those making trips, make sure to check out Four Peaks in Tempe. An excellent brewery / pub near ASU.
    "Try to be in two incredibly successful bands. If not, that's okay." -- Words to live by, courtesy of Dave Grohl

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Not knowing much about Phoenix and its area, I've always thought if I were to visit this part of the world, then I would be sure to consider staying at the Hotel Valley Ho in Scottsdale.

http://www.hotelvalleyho.com/hotelin...ion/index.html

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    I've yet to spend much more than a day and half in Phoenix since I've been in Arizona. Mostly for seminars and meetings and other short visits. I did stay at the Hotel San Carlos downtown. Once the downtown has the people mover and continues to mature and implode back on itself with regard to density and new commercial/condo developments, things will get better. It really reminds me of pre-1993 Denver right now.

Now if I could only get Brocktoon to take me to that Mexican restaurant he's been talking about
    Consider it done...I honestly forget about grabbing Mexican food when you are down
    Maybe we can hit one of them when you are down this weekend.

Quote Originally posted by planr View post
    That implies you waited hours in line to get a table

Despite its downfalls, the Valley, especially Tempe has a special place in my heart. For those making trips, make sure to check out Four Peaks in Tempe. An excellent brewery / pub near ASU.
    I refuse to wait that long and from everyone I know that has been does not say its worth the wait...its good but not 2 hours in line good...

I second your recommendation on Four Peaks, I went there for lunch in July and forgot they do not have air conditioning, only swamp coolers...

Another great restaurant in Tempe is House of Tricks...good place for a date...sorry TO I am not taking you there unless you bring your wife...and you wear pants...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hi from Phoenix
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Sep 2010, 2:58 PM
  2. Environmental Planning in Phoenix
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 03 Mar 2009, 2:08 AM
  3. NPR Piece on Phoenix
    Cities and Places