Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Destination: VT

Registered
    Aug 2005

Destination: VT

My BF has suggested that we take a weekend trip to VT in January. Any suggestions of places to visit? We're not huge ski bums, like natural beauty, and enjoy good food.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Burlington! Very walkable, with a great variety of good restaurants at a wide range of prices.

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    My BF has suggested that we take a weekend trip to VT in January. Any suggestions of places to visit? We're not huge ski bums, like natural beauty, and enjoy good food.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I agree! Burlington is a wonderful city. Check out the downtown, the Intervale and the aquarium and science center on Lake Champlain. Shelburne Museum is about 20 minutes south. More here.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SGB View post
    Burlington! Very walkable, with a great variety of good restaurants at a wide range of prices.
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I agree! Burlington is a wonderful city. Check out the downtown, the Intervale and the aquarium and science center on Lake Champlain. Shelburne Museum is about 20 minutes south. More here.
    He had originally suggested Burlington. Plus he has never been to Lake Placid so we could probably adjust our route to include a brief stop in Lake Placid.

btw, MP, I LOVE tripadvisor.

Thanks.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    nuh-uh - Burlington is nice but our place we go often to see friends is the Northeast Kingdom - my husband's family lived there from the 70's until the late 90's - but I was actually avoiding posting about this area because it's a great secret that is getting out :

http://www.kingdomtrails.org/
    http://www.nekchamber.com/
    http://www.travelthekingdom.com/index.php

Burlington is wonderful, but I'd be remiss if I didn't put a plug in for Quechee Gorge. Fantastic area year-round but particularly in winter.
    Not for better. Not for worse. And certainly not for lunch.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    In addition to Burlington & Queechee, Woodstock is worth a stop for an hour or 2 on the way to Queechee.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Heck, I'd also include a relaxing and WOW!!! scenic drive up I-93 in New Hampshire, including through the Francona Notch (and past the no-longer-there Old Man of the Mountain) and on to the Saint Johnsbury, VT area before heading across to Burlington.

Mike

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Heck, I'd also include a relaxing and WOW!!! scenic drive up I-93 in New Hampshire, including through the Francona Notch (and past the no-longer-there Old Man of the Mountain) and on to the Saint Johnsbury, VT area before heading across to Burlington.

Mike
    I agree with that plug as well.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Burlington is awesome! So is Woodstock, and the drive down I-89 through the Green Mountains is beautiful. Montpelier, Stowe and Barre are also pretty popular destinations.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Having travelled through Vermont a few times when my family travelled to Maine via Vermont and New Hampshire, my memories of the islands on Lake Champlain stand out the most. I've always thought that the scenery of the islands and the lake was just splendid. It's not that much further north of Burlington, VT.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Jun 2012, 12:47 PM
  2. Destination retail development examples
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 09 Jun 2010, 1:11 AM
  3. Tax incentives for destination retail?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 23 Oct 2009, 6:42 AM
  4. What is destination retail?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 30 Jan 2007, 3:07 PM
  5. Cool Communities & Destination Downtowns...
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 30 Sep 2004, 12:20 PM