Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Awards protocol

Registered
    Feb 1998

Awards protocol

I am not used to getting awards.
    At our last APA chapter meeting, I accepted an award for our Master Plan. The city adopted it, I got it through the system. The consultant, however, did all the leg work and prepared the draft, which was basically adopted as presented. I acknowledged the consultant, had the principals stand up to be recognized. Is the award the consultant's; or the city's? Should the consultant have been the recipient? BTW, the consultant prepared the award nomination.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    In my experience as a state director in a multi-state chapter, when we've awarded such awards, we give a plaque to both the community and the consultant.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    As a consultant, I would prefer to have the community accept the award and display it in their offices. I make a point of describing the project as "an award-winning economic development strategy" in project briefs. Having that award hanging in my office is not going to do much, and besides [BRAG]I don't have that much wall space[/BRAG]. Having the award hanging at the city is going to remind them that they got a good product. Maybe they will use me again.

I like the approach NHP mentioned, but I know of very few places that do that.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I have seen both. If I nominate the project (public sector), I will keep the glass ornamental that is given away. If is it a joint submission (public and private) we will usually both go up to accept and hagle over the paper weight. If it is a private sector submission, I have seen both the public and private entities go up to accept the awad, but the private sector has kept the award. It all really depends on who wants it.

Since the public sector paid for the project, the public sector usually keeps the award 9 times out of 10.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Plan-it View post
    I have seen both....

Since the public sector paid for the project, the public sector usually keeps the award 9 times out of 10.
    Yes. One should also draft a generous letter of appreciation/city gratitude certificate and present it to the consultant. This will allow the consultant to use if needed - and we all need some sort of PR in this economy.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan Staley View post
    Yes. One should also draft a generous letter of appreciation/city gratitude certificate and present it to the consultant. This will allow the consultant to use if needed - and we all need some sort of PR in this economy.
    The consultants should use it in their advertising regardless of a letter appreciation from the public entity. As the producer of the document, that entitles them to production ownership of the results.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Plan-it View post
    The consultants should use it in their advertising regardless of a letter appreciation from the public entity. As the producer of the document, that entitles them to production ownership of the results.
    I was unclear - I was thinking of a little shrunk .jpg of the actual certificate in a flyer or portfolio or something like that.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban Design Protocol for Australia
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 28 Nov 2012, 6:29 PM
  2. Understanding Event Protocol
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Nov 2011, 9:13 AM
  3. Kyoto Protocol: way beyond succes?
    Economic and Community Development