Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Raging lunatic Clerk

Registered
    Mar 2005

Raging lunatic Clerk

Does anyone else have a lunatic for a clerk? Is this a ubiquitous trait?

Mine is driving me insane and not in a nice innocent way. In a psychotic hell mean targeted sort of way.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CDT View post
    Does anyone else have a lunatic for a clerk? Is this a ubiquitous trait?

Mine is driving me insane and not in a nice innocent way. In a psychotic hell mean targeted sort of way.
    no, but you're describing our receptionist to a T.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Not here, but at my last position, our administrative assistant was pleasantly weird. She was a nice enough person but had some really strange quirks. Some examples:
    • She would refuse to be in the same room as a running (or even plugged-in) microwave
    • Even though she lived three blocks from her office, she refused to walk work because she was scared somebody would, Jump out of the bushes and rape" her (incidently, our office and her apartment were in what is often listed as one of the safest cities in the nation)
    • She was in her late thirties and had a different sweater with a kitten, puppy, snowflake, etc.. embroidered on it for every day of the month
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    [*]She was in her late thirties and had a different sweater with a kitten, puppy, snowflake, etc.. embroidered on it for every day of the month[/LIST]
    Dude, what's wrong with that?!

JK

I like our clerk, and the County clerk. I will refrain from outing who I think is the raging lunatic here.....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Our clerk is 90 years old, in a nursing home, and comes into the office once a week for about an hour. The deputy clerk has the job of doing his job AND taking the clerk to the doctor, hospital, pharmacy, and shopping for groceries.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Luckily, our clerk is an appointed position and under the supervision of the Finance director, so "lunacy" is kept in check, unlike some elected clerks I have known in the past (they really have no "oversight").
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Our payroll clerk is the wicked beyotch from hades. Last week, she actually went to the hospital to visit my administrative assistant who was recovering from major surgery. While there, she berated my AA for inaccurate time-sheets. Can you imagine the audacity?

She also is notorious for sending email memos to department heads alleging outrageous grievances.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

At two previous places of employment the City Clerks were undermining the CM because they wanted the CM job.
    One caused at least 3 CMs their job before she succeded. Her family is connected to the former famous mayor of the Detroit, so it figures. Close members of her family are really connected.
    It was fasinating to watch both of them lie and hide files on the CMs. And yes the CMs knew it but because of the political climate there was nothing they could do about it.
    Hopefully they will end up like the Detroit mayor but probably not
    I tried to stay as far away from them as I could but was not always successful , I did notice that they did it to others in the organization, probably just to stay in practice or just because it was in their nature.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    The last city clerk I worked with was nutty as well. She was appointed but would send out rude emails, and generally acted bi-polar.

This county clerk is elected and has the biggest supriority complex I've ever seen. I recently got an email that was incredibly rude and tried to dictate my department processes.

I've heard from other department heads that she frequently goes on rampages and apparently I am the current target. Lord help me! I don't do well with bullies. I have some genetic defect that prevents me from backing down.

I figure there must be some predisposition for crazy clerks considering what they do. Although I did work with a fantastic clerk about five years ago. Must be hit or miss.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008

Crazy

They're all crazy. I have yet to run across one that isn't certifiable in one way or another. Here are two examples:

I agreed to work at a local township and help out the clerk during a mid-term election - it was supposed to be a four month assignment. I lasted three weeks. Talk about NUTS. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING was done by hand. Never mind the software system set up and funded by the state for voter tracking and registration that would print out batches of bar coded mailing labels for absentee ballots. Let's fill out all of those envelopes by hand. Instead of using just the computer files, let's keep track of everyone in the township on little cardboard sticks that slide into frames. We can roll them into the typewriter, type every one out, and rearrange them in the metal frames every stinking week. All that silly stuff on the computer that tracks burial plots? It might "disappear" when we turn the computer off. Let's back it up manually in two different 3x5 card files and three (that is right, three) ledger books that have been around since the dawn of time.

The Clerk in the municipality where I work now is in waaay over her head. A recent bond-funded project involved a landowner election. I emailed her a schedule of statutory posting and publishing deadlines for the election, to which she responded with a terse "I know my job and I don't need your help". It didn't get posted or published timely because her assistant was on vacation and it is the assistant's job to do that. She tried throwing me under the bus which backfired in a big way; now she's cozied up to legal and insists that the assistant attorney be present at all our meetings.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Raging Non-conformities
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 31 Jan 2003, 10:13 AM