Urban planning community

Poll results: Got 'em where you live?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep - but just a couple

10 30.30%
  • Yep - lots! I can't pick my nose without someone watching me.

7 21.21%
  • What is this CCTV you speak of?

11 33.33%
  • Other (see below)

5 15.15%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Closed-Circuit Television cameras - your opinion

Registered
    Jul 2002

Closed-Circuit Television cameras - your opinion

So I just posted this in another thread:
    I am currently working on getting Closed-Circuit Television cameras back into the central city. This was decided before I started in this role and I've got everyone on my tail wanting to know when the cameras are going in....not a camera fan myself but I guess they're okay in limited situations.
    ...and I was wondering how popular security cameras are in public spaces in the U.S. and Canada? They are pretty popular here, with all the major cities having cameras in the central city, but I get frustrated with how people go "We want cameras! We want cameras!" and then the Council spends lots of money putting them in but no-one really thought about ongoing issues and costs of management, monitoring and recording, and maintenance.

Fortunately we're not as bad as the U.K. where they have cameras on almost every street. Yet, anyway.

So what's the situation where you live? I'm not talking about privately-funded security cameras, but publicly-funded cameras used to improve safety in public spaces. Got 'em? How many?

Registered
    May 2003
    They've gone in in some of the high crime neighborhoods and housing projects here.

JNL, I guess I'm just paranoid but the thought of cameras reminds me too much of Big Brother. We have some in Charlotte, both red light and speeder cams, and the whole thing scares me. They also have some downtown but i'm not sure where or how many. Also the traffic cams on the interstates through town for traffic control. One problem with them is that in the case of red light and speeder cams, There has to be a sign to warn of photo enforcement. If they were serious, why not move them around and surprise a few people. The penalty is a fine and no license or insurance points. So do the deed and pay your toll and don't worry about it.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    In our city we have one for a public (Council) space. It is unmonitored but takes a recording and would be used for prosecutions in the event of an incident. This is obviously much cheaper than a monitored camera. It is mainly intended as a deterrent and has succeeded in moving a problem, if not solving it. It was very controversial among our Councillors BTW.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    We have these things that look like cameras on most of our stoplights... but they are left turn sensors, but everyone thinks that they are cameras and they are worried about getting caught.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    In the DC area cams are EVERYWHERE, for security, speeding, traffic, red lights etc etc etc. Though the statute giving Nova the power to have redlight cams is about to expire and they will all have to come down *yhaeeee*
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

After the sheriff discovered people climbing the street trees adjacent to the jail to deliver "packages" to prisoners (uh, that'd be "gaol" to you, JNL ) he did what any red-blooded peace officer would do: he cut down the trees and installed security cameras. As others have said, I don't care to be watched so much...
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2004

You don't know the half of it....

Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    In the DC area cams are EVERYWHERE, for security, speeding, traffic, red lights etc etc etc. Though the statute giving Nova the power to have redlight cams is about to expire and they will all have to come down *yhaeeee*
    PG those are only the camera's you can see.....Its a lead pipe cinch that the FBI/NSA and Secret Service have cameras in places unknown to most....key routes for the pres. and those suspected diplomats who need watching....DC has to be the most watched place on earth.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Lol I know, its strange during "events" when they will pop up on all the buildings and out of these little silos in the ground where you were sure they were not there the day before. God help you if you are a tourist taking pics and happen to get on it your pic (unknown to you) Ive seen cops/parkrangers/whatever grab folks just taking pics of monuments. Its REALLLLYYYYY bad in DC.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    red lights etc etc etc. Though the statute giving Nova the power to have redlight cams is about to expire and they will all have to come down *yhaeeee*
    This idiot that sits in the cubicle to the right of me is trying to get a pilot program (red light cameras) for the city. Thing is, everybody runs the lights 3 seconds after it turns red and still there isn't really a problem with accidents. The signals in the city have a 3-4 second delay from when it turns red in one direction to green in the other. If she really wants to solve some problems she should put them out by her f-ing house. Man I hope she gets hit by a car going through a red light

I think I'll bring up some cases where they were deemed unconstitutional.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Dec 2001
    We have cameras all over our "high crime" downtown and 4 cameras at each signaled intersection in town for traffic monitoring purposes, not enforcement.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hmmmm... I don't know of any, but I guess I never really thought to ask. But it's Canada... it's not like we have crime or anything.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    The number of cameras has been growing enormously for the last years. Less than five years it was news item that cameras had been installed in some city centre, nowadays cameras are at lost of public spaces. Much of this has to do with the political attention to safety on the streets.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    They are illegal in NJ for traffic enforcement, though the hwy dept. has them on major routes. You can look at them live on the web to check traffic for your commute. Some police depts. use them in high crime areas. Of course they are all over commercial buildings, especially those often subject to robberies, like convenience stores. Some TV stations also have webcams on their websites with city panoramas you can look at anytime, weather permitting.
    Adrift in a sea of beige

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I have a camera installed in the shower.

Seriously.....

Toledo has a bunch of cameras at high accident intersections. I'm a pretty conservative driver so it doesn't change my habits. A certain wife, who shall remain nameless (Katie Katie Katie Katie Katie Katie.....), has the bad habit of gunning it when a light turns caution yellow. Those cameras changed that habit, at least at those intersections.

Slightly off-topic.....in the farm country in NW OH a lot of young drivers, approaching a cross-road at night, kill their lights to see if anybody's coming. If no other light is seen they blow through. Dangerous.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I just want to say that the number of CCTVs in Derry, Ireland, is mind-boggling. There are ever eavesdropping lines lined in all the trees in the centre of the town. Yikes. I'm glad I didn't stay there very long.

Now, in this town, I can't say that I've ever noticed any CCTVs. I wonder if they're more disguised than what I saw in the UK. Are they?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    We have had a number of traffic cameras for some time. The 3 new ones going in are to be in pedestrian malls, for watching drunken disorderly people mainly. The people monitoring them have direct contact with Police. So, in theory, they are supposed to help with crime prevention, not just prosecution.

I read a Police review of the pilot, describing a number of situations in which teh cameras proved very useful - it was very interesting reading!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Portland has them on all the buses, light rail trains and streetcars, as well as at selected light rail stations. Plus, we have the "Rumpy Redlight 2004" model at selected intersections.

That's in addition to the various webcams that seem to be everywhere. Who knows how many are really out there? A co-worker brought a catalog into work a couple of months ago. It was full of spy devices, including clocks, houseplants, briefcases, smoke detectors, "exit" signs, and god knows how many other common items...all of them with cameras hidden within. I'm not a paranoid person, but just looking at all that stuff gave me the creeps. We have NO IDEA at all how we're being watched, or by who.
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by nuovorecord
    A co-worker brought a catalog into work a couple of months ago. It was full of spy devices, including clocks, houseplants, briefcases, smoke detectors, "exit" signs, and god knows how many other common items...all of them with cameras hidden within.
    That's one thing that worries me: there is a massive multi-zillion dollar security industry out there, pushing their stuff by claiming that their technology will help keep people safe. I don't like it when I hear of advertising that preys on peoples' fears. Making people fearful is a great way to reduce safety... if people feel unsafe, they might start going out less frequently, and hiding away in fortress type lock-up homes. Then safety is reduced for those who do still go out, and they are faced with a scary environment where everyone is hidden away behind locks and bolts... yes I am talking worst case scenario but I do think it's important to look at the potential implications of current trends.

SkeL - Snow Crash was amusing because of how it dealt with these themes... remember the super high-tech security surrounding the franchised suburbs?

Oopsies maybe I am going a little OT. I am going to xmas drinks put on by our CCTV supplier this afternoon...

I'm going to help my pops install a camera to keep an eye on the front area of the house.
    1. There is a lot of graffiti coming in to their neighborhood
    2. Some a**hole knocked on a neighbors door in the middle of the night and when the wife answered, she was sprayed with a fire extinguisher -I'd like to beat the sh*t out of that person but I'd rather they get caught and go to jail. Thing is, it could be racially motivated. . I thought it would be a good idea to install a camera or two before anymore bullsh*t happens.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    I'm going to help my pops install a camera to keep an eye on the front area of the house.
    1. There is a lot of graffiti coming in to their neighborhood.
    How will cameras help if someone graffitis with their hooded sweatshirt pulled up and nondescript clothing?

At the very least we will get to see what time the people are coming around. Some people are stupid so one day the vandalizer may leave the hood down. Honestly My parents and myself don't have a lot of faith in the idea that a camera will catch the people or solve any problems. It's just a drop in the bucket. The best thing they can do, and have done, is to photgraph the graffiti and give the police a copy of the pic.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    One redlight camera (which was needed, sadly). Cameras at the civic center (community center indoors)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    The best thing they can do, and have done, is to photgraph the graffiti and give the police a copy of the pic.
    Yep And maybe keep some paint handy for painting out any graffiti - as futile as it may seem sometimes, rapid removal is an important part of preventing more.

And maybe keep some paint handy for painting out any graffiti - as futile as it may seem sometimes, rapid removal is an important part of preventing more.
    Absolutely! I totally agree. One of the major problems in the neighborhood is that there is barely any community -in that people don't socialize. There are some language and cultural barriers, and quite frankly people don't give a sh*t.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. GPS cameras and use in planning
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Jun 2009, 10:29 AM
  2. Anyone still use film cameras?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 16 Dec 2008, 4:00 AM
  3. Digital Cameras for Code Enforcement