5 14.29%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Climate and Comfort

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    "I'm a chick and I tend to feel it's too hot much of the time"

I'm the one vote (so far). Any other Ice Queens out there?
    Patience. We're just waiting for a few of the folks who posted on this thread to get a chance to say something.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    "I'm a chick and I tend to feel it's too hot much of the time"

I'm the one vote (so far). Any other Ice Queens out there?

^Ooh La La!

It's only too hot when I'm having a hot flash!

Having grown up in central FL, I'm a weenie when it comes to cold weather. Sometimes I wonder how I survived 3 years of college in New England. I don't mind chilly mornings in the '30s or 40s but I fully expect the afternoon temps to be warmish (it's not happening here!).

My son keeps complaining that RJ keeps the house too cold in the winter. Um, kid, it's the same temp I kept our house before we moved here! That's what sweatshirts are for! (68 winter, 80 summer)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Re: humidity

When my wife and I went to Mexico, we were sweating like hogs outside in the humidity. We're just not just to it coming from the dry, high plains of Colorado. We noticed when we did a couple tours that the other people from places like Houston, TX we're just fine in the humidity as is nothing was wrong.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I'm a chick who is always too cold. I used to be the opposite, I don't know what happened. I think it might have something to do with losing some of my insulation and also living on my own and paying the heating bill. So I don't use heat and freeze as a result. I also now live in the south where everyone hates winter but loves to recreate it with the AC.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons

This Bear punched the chad for "dude/too hot". As a lifelong resident of the Great Lakes area of North America I enjoy four seasons. Yes, "enjoy". I like the change of each season.

But.....as much as I enjoy being outside and doing summertime stuff, this old body heats up way too quickly, bringing with that temperature rise a moodiness that borders on the grouchy side. Perhaps it is my Eastern Europe lineage.

Katie is the opposite. She likes warm weather, though not quite a fan of really hot weather. When I talk about living in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan she laughs and says, "Have a nice time."

Dang it, the Turtle Club is closed.

(Regular fans of my posts will get that.)
    _____

This Bear does the same whatever-the-weather trick.....wander out to the mailbox or to get the paper or to bring in the doggie.....bearfoot, walking through snow or on ice, just for a few moments. Builds character.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    ......My son keeps complaining that RJ keeps the house too cold in the winter. Um, kid, it's the same temp I kept our house before we moved here! That's what sweatshirts are for! (68 winter, 80 summer)
    If the kid wants to kick in some $$ to pay for the increased utility bill, no problem, I'll turn up the thermostat. Nevermind, that would actually involve him leaving the house.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I voted other. I'm not really bothered by temperature much, I don't really care for when it drops below 30F and brings snow/ice. I much rather prefer the other end of the spectrum. Humidity doesn't bother me and I'm quite ok with just fans, I really do not like A/C. I wear tshirts and sandals in the winter often and rarely wear a parka/scarf/hat.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Given my ethnic background, I'm very warm blooded soul-complete with the light-loving in the winter fair skin. Swedes by nature tolerate the cold because the ones that didn't either moved or froze to death before they could reproduce.

I'm also a recent transplant to the deep south. As for my first summer here, it was an experience. 90+ with high humidity for 4-5 months can be interesting. I survived it by burying my butt in the AC. I've to gotten used to the humidity, which is rarely beneath 50%. I have noticed that 32 degrees with 70% humidity feels a lot colder than 32 degrees with 20% humidity.

Are there things I miss, yes. Snow can be pretty, especially at christmas. However, there is a lot about snow I don't miss, like shoveling it. Further, 50's and 60's 2-3 weeks before christmas seems to be a bit strange.

All in all, it's what you want to put up with. Mentally, I set myself for the summer before it happened and prepared for it. I toughed it out because I wanted to. Further, I can live with the seasons feeling out of wack. The pluses with living here outweigh the negatives.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 14 Nov 2012, 11:05 AM
  2. Comfort Foods
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 19 Dec 2011, 6:06 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Oct 2011, 8:42 AM
  4. GIS GIS / climate change