Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Amphitheater designs

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008

Amphitheater designs

I am currently working on gathering some design ideas for an amphitheater and was wondering if anyone had photos or knew of design ideas? The town only has a population of roughly 1,000 residents, but does host some festivals that attract lots of visitors. I am not looking for any large scale projects just one to host your local band etc...appox. 45'-x20'

Registered
    May 2005
    I am very fond of the Scott Amphitheater on Swarthmore College campus. The town is larger than yours and so is the amphitheater, but it could easily be scaled (its not that huge, but they do use it for graduation). I particularly like the incorporation of trees, the deep horizontal spaces covered in grass and the stone retaining walls. The bottom of the theater (which you cannot see in the photo) has a raised stage. I grew up in the neighboring town, so I spent a good deal of time relaxing in this space: http://www.scottarboretum.org/gardentour/amphitheater/

We are also designing (or actually have mostly designed - now we need to raise money) an amphitheater for our center. I would be happy to share the info we have for it if you want to PM me next week (too busy today to dig it out). Its probably more on the scale you are looking at. We are using gabion walls for the retaining, partly because we want to use as much volunteer labor as possible for construction, and partly because they look cool. Also, the area where the amphitheater is will also house a number of water cisterns for collecting water from the 2-story roof. We will be using miniature water towers (again, 'cause they look cool...) and the support structures will double as rigging for lighting.

This is all in design phase and moving into cost projections, but I'm willing to share what we have.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Oct 2005
    These are always good as part of a park, but as a former band member do me one favor. Keep the band shell away from the road. I have seen too many layouts where the amphitheater/band shell is just thrown in a corner park. With all the traffic noise how can anyone enjoy the show?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Check out my fair city's Mesker Amphitheatre with 5,923 reserved seats and 2,645 on the lawn.
    The seating chart offers views of the stage: http://www.smgevansville.com/mesker/mesker_seat.html

From Google Map:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...01717&t=h&z=19

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Some of the more unique and enjoyable examples I can think of include:

- Dillon, Colorado. The audience sits on a hill with the stage at the bottom, near a lake. The back and sides are open, so the backdrop is a gorgeous view of the lake and mountains.

- Jerome, Arizona. This is a WPA-era project The seeting is located on a hill that faces the principle commercial block. The street is used as the stage. It is a good one for hosting events in the downtown.

- Whitewater, Wisconsin. The stage is permanent, set at the base of a small rise, with the lake in the background. The backdrop is made from panels that can be removed when not in use, to keep the view open.

I have photos of these and others. PM me if you are interested.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post

- Dillon, Colorado. The audience sits on a hill with the stage at the bottom, near a lake. The back and sides are open, so the backdrop is a gorgeous view of the lake and mountains.
    Agreed, I have been there.
    Don't forget Red Rocks.

And there is the Pioneer Theater in Palo Duro Canyon State Park, TX
    Last edited by JNA; 06 Dec 2008 at 11:17 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post

- Jerome, Arizona. This is a WPA-era project The seeting is located on a hill that faces the principle commercial block. The street is used as the stage. It is a good one for hosting events in the downtown.

- Whitewater, Wisconsin. The stage is permanent, set at the base of a small rise, with the lake in the background. The backdrop is made from panels that can be removed when not in use, to keep the view open.

I have photos of these and others. PM me if you are interested.

Cardinal,
    Do you happen to have any photos, data, on the amphitheater built by the WPA during the 30's in Jacksonville, Texas? On the football stadium that was built there as well during the same timeframe (Tomato Bowl)? I am looking for photos/plans etc. Thank you. gigem1974 or email LTPEPIN@aol.com

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by gigem1974 View post
    Cardinal,
    Do you happen to have any photos, data, on the amphitheater built by the WPA during the 30's in Jacksonville, Texas? On the football stadium that was built there as well during the same timeframe (Tomato Bowl)? I am looking for photos/plans etc. Thank you. gigem1974 or email LTPEPIN@aol.com
    Nothing from Texas, although I do have WPA amphitheater photos from elsewhere.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Locally we have Chene Park. Even though it is pushing 25 years old, the design has held up. It is located on the banks of the Detroit River. If you have a boat you can sneak up and take in the concert for free.

http://www.birdair.com/downloads/pho...hyPreview.aspx

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Bus plaza designs
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Mar 2008, 10:12 PM
  2. My building designs
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 06 Jan 2006, 5:30 PM
  3. Roundabout designs
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Dec 2005, 10:30 AM
  4. Why no amphitheater in the Twin Cities?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Aug 2005, 12:16 PM
  5. Amphitheater design questions
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Jul 2001, 7:04 PM