Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: RTPI-recognized MA: Mean anything in the U.S.?

Registered
    Dec 2008

RTPI-recognized MA: Mean anything in the U.S.?

I am very seriously considering doing an RTPI-recognized MA course to become a planner in the UK. Thing is, I'm American and wouldn't rule out eventually returning there to work.

Would the RTPI course be recognized by American employers? Or would an American university at least give me some credit for the modules if I wanted to "convert" them into an American accreditation? I'm confused and need advice! Thanks.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    If your doing a planning degree / Ma in the UK make sure its RTPI accredited.

You really want MRTPI if your going to be a planner here. Its no different from chartered surveyors, or accountants, it shows you're part of a proffesional institution with standards and a good standard of education.

As for moving over to the US, no idea tbh... your job experience would be the key i'd think but having RTPI would surely help... I don't know, but i'd think APA has a similar thing as the UK, Aus and NZ institutes in that you can convert whislt on the job over a year or so.

But if your doing a planning degree in the UK make sure its RTPI accredited.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for your reply; my next question is, does it matter where you get the degree as long as it is RTPI-recognised? Are some universities top, while others are not as well regarded?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Err yes, some universities are considered 'better' than others i suppose. Try here:
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...rsityguide.php

The planning courses may not relate to the overall league table, for e.g. i know that the planning schools of Oxford Brooks, Sheffield Hallam and University of West England are well thought of despite being 'new' universities.

A list of accredicted courses: http://www.rtpi.org.uk/item/178/23/5/3

Just get lots of prospectus', goto open days and choose for yourself.

Do you know the UK well? The city you'll have to live in shoudl make up part of your choice.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    I am a MRTPI planner currently living and looking for work in the US.

Before I came out here I had spoken to a fellow Brit who had successfully secured a planning job with her British qualification (although this was a good 10 or so years ago) so I was optimistic about my chances. As yet however, I have had no luck getting a job in Planning but I can't say whether that is down to having the wrong type of qualification or if it is just this current rubbish economy and the fact that there are just not as many jobs available at the moment!

I will keep you posted!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Moved from the former Planning in the UK forum.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Dec 2011, 9:16 AM
  2. RTPI vs. AICP
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Aug 2009, 2:18 AM