Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Gifts for thesis committee?

Gifts for thesis committee?

I am finishing up my Masters degree in Urban Planning and there is one last thing I need to do. I am giving a defense of my masters thesis this thursday. I was wondering if it is a good practice to give a gift to each memeber after the defense. I was thinking about giving them each a book from an author I like who is pretty mainstream (Tom Friedman). Is this appropriate? Thanks a lot!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by aspiringplanner View post
    I am finishing up my Masters degree in Urban Planning and there is one last thing I need to do. I am giving a defense of my masters thesis this thursday. I was wondering if it is a good practice to give a gift to each memeber after the defense. I was thinking about giving them each a book from an author I like who is pretty mainstream (Tom Friedman). Is this appropriate? Thanks a lot!
    Even though your intentions are very good, it can mistakenly look like a bribe.

Even if it is given after the defense? What should I do to thank them? One of the committee members is driving from another town and has helped me a lot.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What should I do to thank them?
    How about a simple note card.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I also don't think a gift for them is a good idea.

I second the suggestion of mailing them thank-you notes.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

What is this the IOC?

Personally I woudln't give them anything. I am paying them to do their job, which is reviewing my thesis (just like I don't tip movers or taxi drivers). I show deference to faculty. However, growing up in a household of academics, I don't tend to hold them in high regard. If they have to be lured by some bauble, then the past couple of years of school were a waste of MY time and money. I might grudingly give them a thank-you note, but that's pushing it.

Obviously, I'm in the minority on this one.
    Last edited by nrschmid; 15 Dec 2008 at 10:41 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    ^^ I agree. They don't deserve jack crap.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I'll also add that the planning profession puts high premiums on higher education but affords a mediocre salary. Any sort of "gift" is coming out of the 5-6 figures I am putting down for that education. Period.

Having served on thesis committees:

No gift is necessary. Typically one thanks the committee in the acknowledgment section of the thesis and at the defense.

Nothing more is expected.

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Blog entries

No Gift

There are other things you can do for them if you want to say thanks.

I personally like the program where you can buy a goat or some chickens or a cow for a village...you could do that in their name...

RES

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    No gift is necessary. Typically one thanks the committee in the acknowledgment section of the thesis and at the defense.

Nothing more is expected.

This is what I was thinking. - at least it is what I did
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Dec 2007
    No gifts. A nice card is appropriate. If you go on to write something that gets published, you can have them review it so you can acknowledge them in public.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Nov 2007, 11:38 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 16 Jul 2004, 3:52 PM