Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 College Football Thread

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

2008 College Football Thread

I guess I'll start this one now since SI has published their Top 25 teams for 2008:

1. Georgia Bulldogs
    2. Ohio State University Buckeyes
    3. Southern California Trojans
    4. Florida Gators
    5. Missouri Tigers
    6. Louisiana State University Tigers
    7. Oklahoma Sooners
    8. Auburn Tigers
    9. Wisconsin Badgers
    10. Texas Tech Red Raiders

I could comment on each of these (Congrats Bubba), but I'll refrain for now.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I could comment on each of these (Congrats Bubba), but I'll refrain for now.
    Ah, Sports Illustrated, dooming the Dawgs to a 6-6 season...

I think that a good case could be made for (and, in some cases, against) the inclusion of each of those teams in the top 10. Your Gators are a bit of a mystery - will Tebow stay healthy, can the defense figure out what they're doing, and will Moody help establish a running game?

And will the BCS please stop putting Ohio State in the championship game?!?
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    You are forgetting a team that has won 2 BCS bowls in 3 years and is returning 9 of 11 starters on Offense.. West Virginia University..
    Go ahead refuse to give us respect.. This year it will be "you have a new coach", last year it was "you are a one dimensional offense" the year before that it was "you cant recruit with the big schools",
    WVU is a top 15 all time winning program but because the state is small and lacks big media support the nation refuses to accept that
    all we have done is prove the critics and media wrong time and time again.. and we will continue to do so...

by the way we beat Georgia and Oklahoma (Number 1 and 7 on your list) in our 2 BCS victories.. Tougher opponents than most and we open up 2008 with Auburn at home.. Not to mention the Return of Noel Devine the number 1 over all Running back recruit last year and All- American QB Pat White

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    You all know where I stand on this issue... and you all know that I am hoping for a better season than last....

Sure, I'll predict now...

Notre Dame will be 7-4.

Previous schedule has been withdrawn b/c I believe it is wrong.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Go Blue!!! The curse of top ten ranking has been removed and Michigan can once again return to winning football!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Go Blue!!! The curse of top ten ranking has been removed and Michigan can once again return to winning football!
    Of course... after they lose in South Bend. (The beginning of the turnaround for the Irish and factored in the quoted 7 wins above...)

You heard it here first.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Of course... after they lose in South Bend. (The beginning of the turnaround for the Irish and factored in the quoted 7 wins above...)
    Oh zman, you poor deluded b*stard, basing your hopes and dreams on a return to glory with the help of Touchdown Jesus. Sorry Charlie, it just isn't going to happen next year!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Oh zman, you poor deluded b*stard, basing your hopes and dreams on a return to glory with the help of Touchdown Jesus. Sorry Charlie, it just isn't going to happen next year!
    Deluded? How did you know that there is too much blood in my alcohol stream...

7-4 is hardly glorious, but the road back to glory is a long one and will be lined with rotting Wolverine carcasses...

Ducks... runs...

-Peart

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by wv06 View post
    You are forgetting a team that has won 2 BCS bowls in 3 years and is returning 9 of 11 starters on Offense.. West Virginia University..
    Go ahead refuse to give us respect.. This year it will be "you have a new coach", last year it was "you are a one dimensional offense" the year before that it was "you cant recruit with the big schools",
    WVU is a top 15 all time winning program but because the state is small and lacks big media support the nation refuses to accept that
    all we have done is prove the critics and media wrong time and time again.. and we will continue to do so...

by the way we beat Georgia and Oklahoma (Number 1 and 7 on your list) in our 2 BCS victories.. Tougher opponents than most and we open up 2008 with Auburn at home.. Not to mention the Return of Noel Devine the number 1 over all Running back recruit last year and All- American QB Pat White
    You still have to get past the ...snicker... South Florida juggernaut. WV got all types of respect this year, many pundits picked them in the BCS title game. Next year you are down Slanton, lossing 7 starters on defense and getting a new coaching staff. WV will be good next year and with another soft Big East conference you could be playing in another BCS game. Touch games against Auburn, Colorado and East Carolina will determine early how good the Mountaineers are.

Mods: can we rename the thread to 2008 College Football Trash Talk Thread?
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ha!

Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    You still have to get past the ...snicker... South Florida juggernaut. WV got all types of respect this year, many pundits picked them in the BCS title game. Next year you are down Slanton, lossing 7 starters on defense and getting a new coaching staff. WV will be good next year and with another soft Big East conference you could be playing in another BCS game. Touch games against Auburn, Colorado and East Carolina will determine early how good the Mountaineers are.

Listen my friend....it should be obvious from this season that Colorado will win next year....win more the next and finally win the Nat. Championship in three years I think we can beat both Florida State and West Virginia next year.....its Baylor and Eastern Washington I'm worried about (strange....WV and FSU don't show up yet on CU's 2008 schedule)
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007

Before you call that big east schedule week. They are the only conference that has won their BCS bowl births the last 3 years.
    Slaton was behind Noel Devine by the end of the year.
    South Florida was a Coach Rod problem not a WVU problem.. he refused to adapt his play calling for the situation and stuck to strict gamelans..
    However you a right about losing 7 starters and D and I am very concerned about the graduation of Owen Schmidt (our punishing fullback) but I am not arguing a national title I am saying we deserve to be top 10 once again and I do not believe the media will put us their when the season starts.. meaning once again we will prove people wrong

Registered
    Aug 2005
    ...but I am not arguing a national title I am saying we deserve to be top 10 once again and I do not believe the media will put us their when the season starts.. meaning once again we will prove people wrong
    Here's a sampling of early preseason rankings (taken from another board) - WVU is in the Top 10 in most of them, if I recall correctly, and really no lower than 14 or 15 in the rest, fwiw.

Relax. It's a long time until kickoff.

Stewart Mandel, CNNSI.com
    Mark Schlabach, ESPN.com
    Jon Wilner, San Jose Mercury News
    Tony Barnhart Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    John Moss, BleacherReport.com
    Wendell Barnhouse, Ft. Worth Star-Telegram
    Dennis Dodd, CBSSports.com
    Matt Hayes, Sporting News
    Rivals.com
    CFN.com
    NationalChamps.net
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

WISCONSIN BADGERS

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Before you call that big east schedule week. They are the only conference that has won their BCS bowl births the last 3 years.
    Strength of conference measures the whole conference not just one team. The Big 12 was a much better conference last year than the Big East. The Big East might have the best team of the two but top to bottom the Big 12 was a far superior conference. The Big East finished with only 2 ranked teams (WV and Cincy). The Big 12 had Missouri, Kansas, Texas and Oklahoma all in the top 10. Next year The Big East will be like it has since VT, BC and Miami left for greener pastures, WV and everyone else.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    Strength of conference measures the whole conference not just one team. The Big 12 was a much better conference last year than the Big East. The Big East might have the best team of the two but top to bottom the Big 12 was a far superior conference. The Big East finished with only 2 ranked teams (WV and Cincy). The Big 12 had Missouri, Kansas, Texas and Oklahoma all in the top 10. Next year The Big East will be like it has since VT, BC and Miami left for greener pastures, WV and everyone else.
    Not one of those 4 teams you mentions played the other 3 teams..
    That is why they were all ranked top 10. If each played one another they would beat up on each other with only one(possibly 2) emerging as a top 10 team.
    The big east performs very well out of conference and beat up on each other within the conference. With only 8 teams everyone plays each other. The big 12's 6 team mini conferences are not that strong as a whole. It all depends on how you schedule draws and it is not fair that Kansas gets credit for being in a conference with Texas and Oklahoma when they played NEITHER last year. They lost to Missouri and proved they were a slightly above average team- Boise State and Hawaii had a tougher road then Kansas!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    What no props for the SEC. In the SI top ten, there were 4 teams listed. Best conference in the land baby!

(You got me covered Bubba?)
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    What no props for the SEC. In the SI top ten, there were 4 teams listed. Best conference in the land baby!

I got yer back.

Everything is cyclical, but for now (and until further notice), the SEC is the strongest conference, top to bottom (if you sort of squint and ignore the existence of Ole Miss and Vandy).

Registered
    Apr 2006

Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    I got yer back.

Everything is cyclical, but for now (and until further notice), the SEC is the strongest conference, top to bottom (if you sort of squint and ignore the existence of Ole Miss and Vandy).
    WV06 used WVU beating Oklahoma as justification of the strength of the Big East. No hate for the SEC.

Even though I am a Pac 10 guy there is little doubt that past year the SEC was the strongest conference in college football and looks to maintain its dominance next year. Ole Miss and Vandy were better than Baylor, 'Cuse, Stanford, and most other bottom feeders in the country.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Gloom, Despair ... Or Not ??

Is it time for the University of Michigan fans to look forward to "professional football season"? Do we hear "gloom, despair, and agony on me,,,,woooaa...." in the shadows of "The Big House"?

Even though it is the off-season, we took a hit from arch-rival Ohio State, when the nation's most-sought-after quarterback picked the Buckeyes instead of the Wolverines. Our three quarterbacks have thrown a grand total of one pass in a real U of M game. The new coach (thank you, West Virginia) has his hands full, because most of the remnants of what was considered (key word) to be one of the strongest Wolverine squads in years has moved on, either via graduation or sporting their chances in the NFL.

It could be a tough year for Michigan fans. But, the college-spread attack that the new coach brings will propel the Wolverines back into national prominence. It may take a couple years, though.....tough times, when you have to live with a spouse that is a "Buckeye nut".

And.....I don't want to face Z-Man along about autumn, because his little green men should be better than Michigan.

Gloom, despair......for awhile, anyhoo.....

Go Blue !!!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Nice little article about players names (and this one focising on the SEC).

http://gratefulblue.blogspot.com/200...ith-names.html

Mississippi State looks like they win with Auburn a close second

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Nice little article about players names...
    Nice find.

Other Cool Names - Roman Division

-Quindarius Carr, Auburn WR
    -Rodgerigus Smith, Auburn WR
    -Octavius Balkcom, Auburn DE
    -Omarius Hines, Florida WR
    -Dontavius Jackson, Georgia RB

This sounds like a role call from a Roman Empire regiment. "Octavius, Quindarius, and Omarius - you go with Dontavius. The others will run with Mucus."

And a little something for zman - do you think Clausen will be any better this season?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    ^^^^ That's so funny, I forgot to laugh...

This weekend marks the beginning!! While teams close to me (Notre Dame, Northern Colorado) do not play until next week, I will be watching a couple games as they come up.

Washington State/OK State - Adopted WSU by being around my in-laws, like the team, but don't know much. But a good reason to watch, College Gameday picked WSU as the upset team just now.

Colorado/Colorado State Last year from Denver, this game will be fun to watch as a Colorado native and football fan.

I cannot wait for it to start and college FB is finally here!!!!

-Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Great start to the season with a few upsets. The only top ten team to be upset was Clemson and my friend Stinky is very very sad right now.

Strange how the Top Ten teams changed just a little bit since the preseason poll was done back in January and without playing a game. Now it's (subject to change)...
    Georgia
    OSU
    USC
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Missouri
    LSU
    West Virginia
    Clemson
    Auburn

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    CU won.

Michigan lost another opening game.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Saw part of the Wash. St. game and the first half of the CU/CSU game. Stupid Buffs won, but oh well, it was good to have college FB back.

This week's games?
    Purdue vs. Northern Colorado
    NC sucks in I-AA play for the Big Sky conference. Look for a one-sided, high scoring "practice" for the Boilermakers.

Notre Dame vs. San Diego St.
    The Irish start out against SDSU in an opener that they may win! I will in Denver seeing friends, but may have to find a place to watch the game.

-Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2013 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 300
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 2:00 PM
  2. 2011 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 385
    Last post: 11 Jan 2012, 3:15 PM