Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Governor arrested for corruption in . . . . .

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    I'm not making any accusations here, but you could have said the same thing about Blago yesterday.

HOWEVER, about the vacant lot next door to his Chicago home:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...nds-appraisal/
    Mike
    Let me get this straight: Obama bought a house, and Rezko bought the adjacent lot from the same seller. Obama got a deal on the house. A second appraisal was provided on a lot adjacent to Obama's home that is not owned by Obama that overvalued the property. The Obama's then bought a strip of land from the lot (at the "market" value based on the lower assessment). Sounds like Obama's got taken to cleaners and paid to much. No?

I want to play fair here, so why is it criminal for someone to purchase a house cheaper than market rate? Is their a law against that? Also, why is it criminal to purchase a 10-ft strip of land at the "assessed" market rate? Those actions in themselves are not criminal.

Now, if you can show that Obama offered kick-backs to Rezko or the former owner of the property for the reduced prices-- then you have a case. Did Obama use state funds to make the purchase? Did Obama get a kick back or authorize expenditures for Rezko? From my limited knowledge of the Rezko case, there was no connection provided between Obama and Rezko. In fact, that wasn't why he was taken to trial.

I really want to be neutral here and believe that Obama was being shady, but this old talking point doesn't have any teeth. It doesn't show me that Obama was of poor character or judgement. It shows me that he made a private financial decision with his wife to purchase a home, and get a good deal on it. The market was softening in 2006, so selling under may have been uncommon but possible. He wanted 10-feet of space, so he sought out 10-feet of space and purchased it. It appears he probably paid too much. I just don't see how this is a concern of his political character or associations? Is it suggesting that Rezko and him were friends?

Moderator note:
    If you missed it... OBAMA in the OBAMA thread. Not here, unless it is directly tied to the Governor of Illinois. I know they are difficult to separate in some cases, but let's do our best to stay on topic. - Mastiff
    Last edited by Mastiff; 10 Dec 2008 at 1:21 PM.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Well, the latest thing this morning was a recording of the Governor being majorly pissed off that Obama wouldn't offer him anything for his preferred replacement. I bet Obama has never been so happy to hear "f*** him, that mother f***er" directed at him in his entire life!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'm nauseated. I read THIS article this morning.

The most straightforward way to measure corruption is to check the number of convicted local officials. Between 1995 and 2004, 469 politicians from the federal district of Northern Illinois were found guilty of corruption. The only districts with higher tallies were central California (which includes L.A.), and southern Florida (which includes Miami). Eastern Louisiana (and New Orleans) rank somewhat further down the list -- .
    No wonder my job is so hard...

Registered
    Apr 2003
    What is it with IL? Chicago is a great City, but the corruption makes Detroit look like paradise.

*I don’t think Obama personally knew what this idiot was doing, but I think his staff people did.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    *I don’t think Obama personally knew what this idiot was doing, but I think his staff people did.
    Good chance, since Valerri Jarrett was supposedly "Candidate #1". I imagine that as soon as the Obama transition team realized what this guy was trying to pull as they were discussing Jarrett, they backed away and named Jarrett as one Obama's presidential advisors.

Perhaps it was Obama's staff who helped the Feds once they knew.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2006
    The most straightforward way to measure corruption is to check the number of convicted local officials. Between 1995 and 2004, 469 politicians from the federal district of Northern Illinois were found guilty of corruption. The only districts with higher tallies were central California (which includes L.A.), and southern Florida (which includes Miami). Eastern Louisiana (and New Orleans) rank somewhat further down the list -- .
    Wow I never new Los Angeles was part of the central california district.....I always held the assumption that it was part of the southern california district.

Interesting

What is the really the difference between dirty politics and criminal activity. Both erode society's faith in the system that governs them.
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by craines View post
    What is the really the difference between dirty politics and criminal activity. Both erode society's faith in the system that governs them.
    I'm assuming this is directed at my early post. I'm glad someone is responding to it.

I would agree that they both erode society's faith in the system. I was simply trying to point out that politics can get ugly (unfortunately), especially as the contests become grander in scale. But to lump those politicians who play a little dirty in the same sentence with the politicians who actually commit felonies is taking it a step too far for my tastes.

Sure, you could argue it's a fine line, but I say that until that line is crossed, don't go there.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Here's the part I like:

dude's birthdate is December 10, 1956.

Small world.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Here's the part I like:

dude's birthdate is December 10, 1956.

Small world.
    I can picture some inmate walking up to the Governor in a slow seductive way singing “Happy Birthday Mr. Governor…”
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I can picture some inmate walking up to the Governor in a slow seductive way singing “Happy Birthday Mr. Governor…”
    Hmmm. What do you suppose the going price for a Gubernatorial Seat (pun intended) is in that environment?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Hmmm. What do you suppose the going price for a Gubernatorial Seat (pun intended) is in that environment?
    4 boxes of cigs, 2 boxes of cup cakes, and next months issue of GQ.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Seems like when one IL vich is about to leave public office, another one goes, too.

Butt seriously, the semblance to Mr. Serling is out of this world.

Click, if you will, to enlarge...

Again...

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 05 Feb 2013, 1:15 PM
  2. Lohan Arrested (Again)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Jul 2007, 6:35 PM
  3. Microsoft street spammers arrested