Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: People who deserve to get their *sses kicked

Registered
    Feb 2007

People who deserve to get their *sses kicked

Oh and forgot, there is a special place in hell for phone scammers that prey on the elderly. My mom got caught up in one on friday when a scammer called her to tell her that they were going to take away her medicare if she didn't pay them money. They asked for her last four digits to her SSN, and she gave it them because they knew her birthdate and my Dad's last four numbers of SSN. She called me after she disconnected the call and I tried to patiently reminder her that 10/10 phone calls are scams these days. Since my mom doesn't do anything internet, I promptly created logins to her bank accounts to discover three things:

1. She doesn't know the difference between a "savings" account and a checking account.
    2. She doesn't spend money.
    3. She thinks she is broke, therefore, doesn't spend money, but has sufficient funds, and by sufficient, meaning, she ain't gonna be poor anytime soon.
    4. Took the extra precaution of freezing her credit for all three credit reporting beaurs, but don't know what good that would do these days

I guess its not to half shabby for a barely educated high school diploma, english is a 2nd language, salvadoreno immigrant, who worked odd probably a total of 25 or sooish years which reminds me of this simpson's clip:
    No Signature Required

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    ^^ That’s beyond awful. Hell’s too good for someone who preys on people.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    oh wow Raf
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

My grandmother got hit by a scam a couple weeks after her husband of 58 years died. Claimed to be a bill collector and that unbeknown to her dear old granddad ran up a $3500 bill for some kind of subscription service. Grandma was filling out a check as we happened to show up to her house to see how she was doing. Why are the elderly so gullible - did they grow up in more trusting times?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

My grandma who was in her late '80's-early '90's got robbed at her home. They just took some cash and disappeared somewhere in the Metro area.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    There is a special place in hell for these miscreants. As our loved ones age, it's important to review their finances with them to make sure that they are taking adequate care of themselves and there's nothing untoward happening.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I worry about this and my 88 yr old mother every day

Registered
    Mar 2005
    A few years ago, my FIL called to ask where he could find the nearest Western Union. When we asked for more details, he told us of his recent phone call and a deal he'd made with someone -- he wires them $10,000 in cash; they repay him $100,000.

We explained that it was a scam and told him in no uncertain terms that he was not to wire anyone money. Now that I'm thinking about it, I can't be positive he didn't do it...
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    The paper prints about scams all the time here. We have an older population so it's like a giant target. So sad.

I would worry about my mom, but she's the who the hell are you and get off my lawn type (unless she knows you). She doesn't even answer the phone. I have to talk into an answering machine and she'll pick up once she knows it's me.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    I worry about this and my 88 yr old mother every day
    I worry about my 91 year old mother everyday. I wish she would get an answering machine and call ID.
    Habitual Offender

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I worry about my 91 year old mother everyday. I wish she would get an answering machine and call ID.
    My mom's young and generally skeptical, which I appreciate. At 61, she still calls me often to discuss her financial decisions and doesn't even trust using her credit card online. When she finds something she wants, she'll usually ask me to order it and then sends me a check. (I should give her credit by explaining that she got married at age 17 and my dad always dealt with the finances. She just never had to deal with it until he passed.)
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    May 2002
    So we all agree, scammers who prey on older folks should get their ass kicked. But how about some others? Here's one that is very high on my list:

People who park/stand/wait whatever in the fire lane in front of stores. I hate these self-important, self entitled jerks with a serious passion. And in the end, it will probably be what kills me. Because I just can't keep my mouth shut. When I walk around one of these a-hole's vehicles I always loudly say, "oh, it's the special people parking spot". I've been challenged before and usually just snarl "find a real parking space" and move on. But you know in the end somebody having a bad day and the random handgun under their seat will do me in. So if I disappear suddenly, that's more than likely what happened.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by RandomPlanner View post
    My mom's young and generally skeptical, which I appreciate. At 61, she still calls me often to discuss her financial decisions and doesn't even trust using her credit card online. When she finds something she wants, she'll usually ask me to order it and then sends me a check. (I should give her credit by explaining that she got married at age 17 and my dad always dealt with the finances. She just never had to deal with it until he passed.)
    That's basically what my mom does. She is in her late 70's and up until last year, really hasn't dealt with finances. I tried managing her money for her, but she didn't agree with some of the moves i made (granted I errored because I just did things my dad would do and never really explain to her) and so she went to managing her money on her own, which she does a good job in. My mom lost her license, and now she calls me when she needs a "taxi" aka an uber. She know gets the gift cards at the store and tells me the number over the phone.

Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post

People who park/stand/wait whatever in the fire lane in front of stores. I hate these self-important, self entitled jerks with a serious passion. And in the end, it will probably be what kills me. Because I just can't keep my mouth shut. When I walk around one of these a-hole's vehicles I always loudly say, "oh, it's the special people parking spot". I've been challenged before and usually just snarl "find a real parking space" and move on. But you know in the end somebody having a bad day and the random handgun under their seat will do me in. So if I disappear suddenly, that's more than likely what happened.
    I feel like this for the parents in at son's school who a) double park to let the kids out or b) park in the designated loading zone, get out the car, and wait for the kids to go to school. Our helicopter parents at my son's school has greatly increased over the last few years. It is driving me nuts.
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post

I feel like this for the parents in at son's school who a) double park to let the kids out or b) park in the designated loading zone, get out the car, and wait for the kids to go to school. Our helicopter parents at my son's school has greatly increased over the last few years. It is driving me nuts.
    Our elementary school principal calls parents directly if they do this. It’s awesome. They’ll kick a parent out of line and have them park if their child can’t manage to buckle/unbuckle themselves.

Even the middle school principal emails and calls out makes/models and tells parents to knock it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 51
    Last post: 12 Aug 2013, 5:16 PM
  2. Getting kicked upstairs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 19 Jan 2012, 2:13 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last post: 07 Jul 2005, 11:07 AM
  4. Places you have been kicked out from
    Friday Afternoon Club