Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: APA National Conference - Phoenix, AZ

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

APA National Conference - Phoenix, AZ

Other than 2 known Cyburbians who are presenting a session, who is going ?

If so where are you staying ?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm not attending, It's in my budget, but I'll let my planning manager attend. ZG and I will be in Tampa at the APA-Florida conference in September. That's more relevant to us.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    yes I will be there, speaking with TOFB

trying to figure out how to do it without raising ire with my 4 detractors, once of which is a Selectman...

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    yes I will be there, speaking with TOFB

trying to figure out how to do it without raising ire with my 4 detractors, once of which is a Selectman...
    I think I know but what is a Selectman? Tell them it is a matter of life and death.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    There is the good possibility that I'll get to make the trip.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'm checking my new and improved budget, but I'm doubtful.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    I think I know but what is a Selectman? Tell them it is a matter of life and death.
    chief elected official

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Roughly the conference would cost

registration = 700+
    hotel = 1,000 = 5 x 200
    air = 600+/- from the midwest
    food = 240 = 6 x 40 = 6 Fri & wed travel days, Sat, Sun, Mon, & Tues conference days
    other = 60

$2,600 +/-

Would you pay for it out of your own pocket ? If I went I would have to

Passing on it this year and going to the state conference this year. National fell on the days I couldn't get away from the office.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am going. Our community has a session, with my boss talking about it.

I wouldn't go if my community wasn't paying. I was contemplating not going even though they do pay for, but I need the credits.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2006
    Arizona is horrible, horribly planned and I hope never to go there. (OT: We should deport Sherrif Arpaio)

I am a chapter only member of NY Metro APA. It makes no sense to go to national this year unless your a big fish and can afford it.

See you all at NEW YORK 2017 !!!!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The Terminator View post
    See you all at NEW YORK 2017 !!!!
    I most likely will. We are limited to conferences that are 'driving' distance and NYC is definitely driving distance for me in metro Cleveland.
    Last edited by mendelman; 11 Jan 2016 at 2:01 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I'm planning on going! I need the AICP credits and my employer will pay for the conference fees. Now that my sister lives in Tempe I'll be crashing on her couch.

Registered
    May 2006
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    I most likely will. We are limited to conferences that are 'driving' distance and NYC is definitely driving distance from me in metro Cleveland.
    Clevo!

New York isn't as cool as it was in the early 80s but I would say is still much much cooler (literally, its 30 degrees today) than Phoenix. We have a Subway! and Pastrami. and Egg Creams. What does Phoenix have? Xenophobia and sprawl? That whole Metro Area would not exist without air conditioning.

On a serious note:

Will the conference be at all critical this year given its locale? I.e. will there be presenters speaking to why Phoenix is a disaster and how we can rectify it and not repeat those mistakes in the 21st Century? or is it going to be a celebration of sprawl? I hope the Latinos and Planning division will be VOCAL this year about the very real problems with racism and xenophobia that plague Arizona and how Planners can play a role in fixing those problems.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    New York isn't as cool as it was in the early 80s but I would say is still much much cooler (literally, its 30 degrees today) than Phoenix. We have a Subway! and Pastrami. and Egg Creams. What does Phoenix have? Xenophobia and sprawl? That whole Metro Area would not exist without air conditioning.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Phoenix is actually average in the sprawl side of things, but that's because it's still cheaper to spread out than up. Some city's are just jealous of that space. Plus planning is different when you walk around in January with polo shirts and are busy trying to figure out where you should tee off this weekend. Some actually good planning stuff, Phoenix has one of the best roadway systems out there. When you consider how much traffic the freeways handle plus the street network it blows away the competition and it's still not LA. It's an almost perfect grid network, but it could still use an extra freeway or two.

The problem with the conference will be the lack of things to walk to. You'll have to hop the light rail for a lot of it or use the "great" bus system. I'm not talking about museums and site seeing, I'm talking a good bar. Although there are some decent places showing up downtown now, just not enough. The conference center is nice though. I can't say much for the conference program. I know at least one session that should be worthwhile.

My budget is actually looking closer to letting me go. I just have to check a couple extra things. Hell, if I can pull it off this year, maybe I can pull of NYC next year.

Arizona is horrible, horribly planned and I hope never to go there. (OT: We should deport Sherrif Arpaio)
    I have noted the irony of APA having the national conference in some of the worst examples of sprawl i.e., Atlanta, Phoenix, Vegas.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I have noted the irony of APA having the national conference in some of the worst examples of sprawl i.e., Atlanta, Phoenix, Vegas.
    Okay so Phoenix scores at 173 out of 221 places studied, but it's still not the worst. The worst is Atlanta. Here's your trophy. Phoenix needs to just keeping working that downtown until it's something interesting.

Also would it kill the APA to have something in KC or St. Louis.? Something I could actually drive to.

Look at the history

2008 Vegas
    2009 Minneapolis
    2010 New Orleans
    2011 Boston
    2012 LA
    2013 Chicago
    2014 Atlanta
    2015 Seattle
    2016 Phoenix
    2017 NYC
    2018 New Orleans - because we need a recap?
    2019 San Francisco
    2020 Houston

There is a whole string of cities in the middle of the country that get missed. Denver, KC, St Louis, I'll even take Dallas or OKC, plus a bunch closer to the coast like Raleigh or Norfolk (not that I want to go to either place)
    I'm not asking them to go to Wichita. It couldn't handle it, but you're missing some major cities and doubling up on a few. Granted NYC and San Francisco sound fun.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Many things go into APA's decision to hold conferences in certain cities

one is the numbers of attendees - they need to be in cities that can handle - Seattle had more than 6,000 people

the other is feedback from past conferences - people like NYC and they like New Orleans so they get return trips - so does Boston

I remember when I was going to the Vegas conference - my police chief at the time said "having a planning conference in Vegas is like having a drug rehab program in a crackhouse!"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Okay so Phoenix scores at 173 out of 221 places studied, but it's still not the worst. The worst is Atlanta. Here's your trophy. Phoenix needs to just keeping working that downtown until it's something interesting.

Also would it kill the APA to have something in KC or St. Louis.? Something I could actually drive to.

Look at the history

2008 Vegas
    2009 Minneapolis
    2010 New Orleans
    2011 Boston
    2012 LA
    2013 Chicago
    2014 Atlanta
    2015 Seattle
    2016 Phoenix
    2017 NYC
    2018 New Orleans - because we need a recap?
    2019 San Francisco
    2020 Houston

There is a whole string of cities in the middle of the country that get missed. Denver, KC, St Louis, I'll even take Dallas or OKC, plus a bunch closer to the coast like Raleigh or Norfolk (not that I want to go to either place)
    I'm not asking them to go to Wichita. It couldn't handle it, but you're missing some major cities and doubling up on a few. Granted NYC and San Francisco sound fun.
    Further proof the APA is not listening. We made suggestions for new conference locations (Hobbs, NM, Copper Harbor, MI, Fargo, ND, Ciudad Jaurez....) but noooo they stick with the same dozen cities again and again.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Many things go into APA's decision to hold conferences in certain cities

one is the numbers of attendees - they need to be in cities that can handle - Seattle had more than 6,000 people

the other is feedback from past conferences - people like NYC and they like New Orleans so they get return trips - so does Boston

I remember when I was going to the Vegas conference - my police chief at the time said "having a planning conference in Vegas is like having a drug rehab program in a crackhouse!"
    Okay, so OKC can't handle it, but Dallas should be able to and I'm sure KC and St Louis can. Plus those city's actually have some interesting things (I'm not sure about Dallas) and OKC actually has some interesting planning going on.

One of the other things they could consider (other than obvious logistics) is getting planners to learn from each other. Planning in the sunbelt is different from planning in the rust belt, or in my case the bible belt. Part of the conference is supposed to be learning how other cities handle things. We just can't pick the same few cities every time. Okay, I'm done ranting.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I doubt I will be going to a national conference any time soon. The training budget is just not there. Now if it was within driving distance... say Raleigh, maybe Charlotte, that might be a different story.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Good Grief

One of the most surreal planning experiences I've ever had at a Planning Conference was at the APA Arizona conference in Mesa a few years back.
    The City of Buckeye presented a few dozen of their larger master plan communities (just a fraction of the total) located within 392 square mile city.
    I highly suggest you seek out a presentation by the City of Buckeye for the sheer entertainment value Try to keep a straight face during the presentation....if you can. Then ask about water
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Jun 2009
    If anybody who's going to the APA conference wants to know about good places to go and/or wants to hang out for drinks somewhere let me know. Would love to meet some more Cyburbians!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    If anybody who's going to the APA conference wants to know about good places to go and/or wants to hang out for drinks somewhere let me know. Would love to meet some more Cyburbians!
    I'm thinking George & Dragon if I can make it. Light rail adjacent and good beer selection. Plus far enough to avoid "those" other conference goers.

Still crunching the budget numbers. I have to account for conferences for my sanitarians. So far it looks like a definite maybe, but it'll be close.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. National Conference Attire
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 11 Jan 2016, 2:59 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 13 Feb 2015, 7:45 PM
  3. APA National Conference - GET REAL
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33