Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Box signs

Registered
    Nov 2006

Box signs

Does anyone prohibit box signs with big ugly projecting raceways entirely or within certain districts?

Any feelings about backlit box signage?

We are getting a lot of permit apps where it appears that we are approving modest channel lettered signage.
    How about you take a gander at making an executive decision for once, huh?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    We don't allow vacuum-formed signs or billboards but we allow back-lit signs. I'm hoping to disallow pole signs but I don't think that will be taken very well in the community.

What is a box sign - like a McDonalds sign?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    In my last city, a box sign was a cardboard cube, with hand painted letters, secured to the ground with a brick.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    Where I work they have a code regulation that prohibits box signs, but then someone came in with a box sign with points projecting out of the top and said it wasn't a rectangle or square so it wasn't technically box shaped, so the director & city attny decided they had to allow it. Where there's a will there's a way!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    One muni that I worked for prohibited box signs, but allowed channel lettering.

City of New Berlin, WI
    I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward. - Thomas Edison

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Our H-1 (downtown historic district) doesn't specifically prohibit internally illuminated box signs, but we haven't had any in years by specifying that sign materials have to be in keeping with the architecture of the building (since internally lit plastic buildings aren't a fad right now, this works).

We also have a design review for all signs in the H-1 district by the Main Street committee, and they dislike these signs, so they never get approved.

We are also looking into a sign incentive program and sign guidelines which would most certainly restrict internally lit boxes.

In a prior community I worked in, we incented new signs (25% of total cost, up to $1,000) that met design guidelines and were approved by design review. We were able to get rid of the plastic signs in the downtown completely within two years.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Can someone post a picture of a "box sign?"

Registered
    Dec 2008

Box signs

Our sign law (first adopted in 2004) is very restrictive-- we prohibit all internally illuminated signs (including box signs), pole signs, and most graphics and logos. I'm curious about the sign incentive program that someone mentioned, since we have many business owners who are unhappy about the recent enforcement of the sign law.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards LED signs
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 20 Oct 2011, 11:08 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 31 Oct 2003, 6:34 PM
  3. Signs / billboards LED Signs
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 27 Jan 2003, 3:13 PM
  4. Signs / billboards Signs, signs, everywhere signs...
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Sep 2002, 10:07 AM
  5. Signs / billboards signs
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 27 Jun 2002, 3:02 PM