Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Online degrees: are they worth it?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008

Online degrees: are they worth it?

In some cases (Phoenix University etc.) obviously not. However I am talking about degrees from accredited institutions with legitimate programs. Basically I am trying to figure out whether an MPA offered from the University of Illinois would not be valued as much if acquired in an online setting. I definitely wouldn't advertise the fact that I got it online, but if it came up do you think prospective employers would hold it against me?

I am also trying to factor this into my MBA v. MPA decision, which I realize depends on what I want to end up doing. However I have recently read some information stating that MPA's are becoming more attractive due to the glut of MBA's out there.

Any advice or comments?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    If the school you receive the degree from is accredited I don't see why there would be a problem. If you get it while working then you have both real-world and educational experience. There are a lot of accredited schools out there, but I mean a school that is familiar with the general public and has a bricks-and-mortar campus.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    The piece of advice I would give is to verify what the diploma will state. Does it look identical to a diploma issued by the bricks & mortar campus? Is it accredited? Does the program look rigorous, in your judgement?

MPA is fast becoming one of the more common degrees offered through a virtual campus from a brick & mortar university. Most employers recognize this fact.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Online master's degrees
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 03 Aug 2010, 10:53 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Aug 2009, 3:27 PM
  3. Are online MUP degrees held in high regard?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 May 2008, 2:21 PM
  4. Online Degrees
    Student Commons
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 14 Sep 2006, 8:49 PM