Zoning Amendment Hearing Script
• The Kansas Supreme Court has defined rezoning as a quasi-judicial function. To protect the rights of all parties involved and in order to create an opportunity for everyone to speak their opinions in an orderly fashion, the Hutchinson Planning Commission follows a specific fact finding procedure which is posted for your convenience. Your attention to this procedure is appreciated.
• We would like to formally open the hearing regarding case number (insert case number and information from agenda). Have any Planning Commissioners had any outside contacts regarding this case? If so, please indicated who you have spoken with and explain the nature of the conversation.
• Do any Planning Commissioners have a conflict of interest in this case?
• Is the applicant or his/her agent in attendance? Please step forward and state your name. You have ten minutes to present your case. Planning Commission members may request clarification at the end of your presentation.
• We will now hear the staff report.
• Is there anyone in the audience who would like to comment on this case? You may have five minutes to comment. Please clearly state your name and address before commenting.
• Does the applicant wish to rebut any statements made?
• Does anyone in the audience wish to rebut any statements made?
• Does the Commission have any further questions of the applicant or staff?
• The public hearing is now closed. Acceptance of a rezoning request must be based on the following factors: 1) Character of the neighborhood, 2) Zoning and uses of nearby parcels, 3) Suitability of parcel for proposed development, 4) Detrimental effects on nearby parcels, 5) Length of time of vacancy, 6) Hardship if application is denied, 7) Conformity with the Comprehensive Plan, 8) Adequacy of current facilities, 9) Additional information. The Chair will entertain a motion on this case.
• A motion to (repeat motion) with the following conditions (repeat conditions) based on (repeat factors) has been made and seconded. Is there any discussion?
• Staff, please call the roll. Motion (carries or fails).