Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: League of American Bicyclists - bicycle friendly community designation

Registered
    Aug 2005

League of American Bicyclists - bicycle friendly community designation

Has anyone applied for or received a Bicycle Friendly Community Designation from the League of American Bicyclists?

link

I am just curious as to what the application process was like and if you've seen any benefits from such a designation?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I can provide some insight...as a life member and former employee (magazine editor) of the organization formerly known as the League of American Wheelmen.

BFC nets you a cunning sign to post adjacent to your Girls State Volleyball Champs city limits awards. The criteria are, essentially, how many miles of facilities you have and how well signed/striped they are. Other measurables (bike racks) are addressed. If your fair city is so lucky as to have someone teaching the League's Bike Ed curricula (I'm a certified instructor as well), documenting the duration of this program and numbers trained can give you a bump.

The League publishes stories about the winning cities in a special magazine issue.

On the instructor newsgroup, we have regular discussions about BFC. Here we are working to bring the education program to the locals, teaching the citizenry how to use the existing street network. And they are giving special awards to municipalities based not on how extensively the bike-driver's ed is going, but the numbers and types of bike paths. (I am pretty sure that separated facilities earn more points than mere wide traffic lanes.)

You can find out more about this dichotomy by looking at the labreform.org website. (I'm on there, too.)

HTH

Off-topic:
    You're not really a bicycle-friendly community until you can surf the Copenhagen Green Wave
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I actually applied for our city last week. I submitted phase one of the application and I am waiting to hear back from them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 17 Jul 2012, 6:13 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 18 Mar 2011, 5:30 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Jul 2007, 3:46 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Mar 2007, 4:27 PM
  5. Bicycle Friendly Community
    Transportation Planning