Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Block length canopies

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008

Block length canopies

I am looking at some downtown development standards and heard to idea of a canopy covering which covers the length of the block and is constructed by the City. After speaking with an architect he said this can be helpful because it limits what changes property owners can make to buildings. Just wanted to get others thoughts about this idea, and also see if anyone had photos of what this looked like? Thanks alot.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Why would you want to limit some diversity in building facade? IMO, it's not such a good idea.

Mix the colors, mix the sizes, mix the shapes. That would be more visually appealing. But that's just me and I could be wrong.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This has been done in some communities I have visited on the plains. The pros to this are that it can create a uniformity of design at the street level, similar to what you might see in a mall, and more importantly, it creates shelter and protection from the sun or rain, or from winter snows. The cons are that it obscures the architecture of the individual buildings that make up a downtown, and may hinder use of the outdoor space in front of a store or restaurant. I do encourage communities to promote providing cover, but generally I think the best way to do this is on each individual building. Allow property owners to construct permanent canopies tied to the architecture of the building, permit and promote deep awnings that cover the sidewalk, rather than merely shade the window, and strategically construct public structures to provide cover and visual interest where they will not conflict with private buildings.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Here is an article with reader comments about my fair city's experience with canopies.

HEADLINE: City's hope to remove canopies hits snag
    http://www.courierpress.com/news/200...move-canopies/

Boston had a hideous plastic network of canopies in the 1980s in its downtown shopping district. They discolored over time, but remained quite popular with pigeons. They were removed in the 1990s I believe.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    North Platte, NE

Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2007
    IMHO make some standards, but allow flexibility within the standards to get some creativity going on the street. Require canopy the length if the majority wants it. I prefer canopies, but am sensitive to design to avoid pigeon poop and the like.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    In our fair city we have facade grants available for our Central Business District, is $1000 matching. Most businesses use it for new canopies and paint...the best part, Planning must approve the look and colors before we give them the $$$ Win, win!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2008
    I agree with RJ. In my fair city we have quite a few, but all are attached to individual buildings. Many are on historic buildings. Many also serve as balconies to the second floor... great place to watch the parades.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Sep 2013, 8:44 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Dec 2011, 2:17 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 22 Jan 2010, 12:12 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Mar 2006, 11:36 AM
  5. Gas stations with canopies in the rear
    Design, Space, and Place