Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning at McGill U.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007

Planning at McGill U.

Can any current students or recent graduates from McGillís School of Urban Planning share their thoughts?

Iím aware that the department is in a stage of transition, and the programís weaknesses have been mentioned here in the past, but I would be grateful if anyone aware of the departmentís current state could share their thoughts. Iím particularly interested to know whether thereís a strong sense of community within the program.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    I'm a prospective student like you, but I did geography at McGill for my undergrad so I also took a few classes in the planning dept and know a handful of profs (hard not to when there are like 7 faculty).
    The dept in teeny tiny, so it would be impossible for it not to be intimate. Although I'm aware of the downfalls of a small dept, one of the reasons I would consider McGill is because of the size. Even now I can go to guest lectures and all the professors know who I am and it gives you that nice fuzzy feeling that you're important and you're part of a crazy, planning-obsessed family. You would definitely get way more one-on-one attention at McGill and if your research interests are closely related to one or two profs then it shouldn't matter as much that it's a small faculty.
    My friend linked me to a McGill planning Halloween party photo where one person dressed up as a "sad cul de sac". If that isn't a sell, I don't know what is.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. School: McGill McGill MUP
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Jan 2013, 3:19 PM
  2. What school? McGill or Penn?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Apr 2012, 7:39 PM
  3. McGill vs. Dalhousie
    Student Commons