Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Advice for recent gradute with BS seeking an entry position

Registered
    Dec 2008

Advice for recent gradute with BS seeking an entry position

I just graduated with a BS in Geography. I would like to eventually get my Masters in Urban Planning, but until I save enough to do that, I am seeking an entry position. I've been looked at architecture firms and environmental consultants, as well as governmental jobs.

I would love any advise. I live in Texas, I'm open to relocation (however I understand most companies don't want to relocate someone for an entry job).

Thank you for reading my post.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Most gov't jobs won't pay to relocate anyone, so don't expect that. Look at state APA websites (a google search will help you find those), as the national APA site doesn't have all the jobs listed. Also, don't be afraid to venture into a small town to get your foot in the door.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Congrats on your degree. You're lucky that you live where you do. The economy of Dallas is stronger than it is in a lot of the country, this gives you the advantage of not having to relocate too far (if at all) to snag that first paycheck!

You should try the following site to find work:
    http://www.planning.org/jobs/jobseekers.htm
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Most entry level private gigs won't pay to relocate either. How does your resume look? Do you have any internships? If not, start there first, even if it is the unpaid variety. You need to start somewhere yanno.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Debbie Downer alert

actually, given the economy, you may want to bite the bullet and go directly to graduate school and hide out until the economy returns

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    i think i've asked this before in others threads but i'm still confused. how do you get an internship so you have experience to apply to entry level jobs? i've applied to every one i can find but there arent many, and i've contacted tons of private landscape architecture and/or planning firms to see if they have any sort of position. private firms dont seem to be hiring at all (including internships), and public sectors hire for occasional internships but they are so competitive (i talked to someone in the waiting room for one internship interview and turns out she been working in an architecture firm for 8 years)
    it has now been 6 months since i've graduated from an MLA program and i have found absolutely nothing, at this point i would be happy with an internship but just cant seem to understand how to get one anymore

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Don't you have to have at least 1 internship to graduate with an MLA? How strong is your portfolio? Competition is tough. We just hired an entry-level landscape designer with a BLA and little experience. There were several dozen applicants, many with years of experience. However, he had a knockout portoflio (both digiital and hand-drawn) and interviewed well.

When did you start looking for a job? Most LA students I talked with start interviewing the last 1-2 semesters before finishing their BLA/MLA. I would be happy to take a look at your resume, coverletter, and portfolio and offer some advice.
    Last edited by nrschmid; 23 Dec 2008 at 8:32 AM.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I got a job this year after completing my masters and its tough out there! I had to relocate hundreds of miles away, but I ended up in a good spot. My advice, do what it takes to stand out and be confident in your abilities when you get interviews. A portfolio is a good way to stand out, also sending you application via mail along with applying online, with a portfolio might help get you a harder look from all the other applicants. Planners are visual, big picture people, so when they are sifting through the applications, having something to look at that is well organized and targeted to the position would really help. Best of Luck!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    nrschmid, actually an internship wasn't required but yes I did have one while in school at a land. arch. firm, then applied for and got another one, but very stupidly turned it down because I was so stressed at that point in school, the internship i had i felt was not very good and didn't really give me the practical experience i needed in design

i know this sounds awful but i dont feel my portfolio is very strong, i think that L.A. was really the wrong direction for me and that's why i've been applying for planning jobs as well, plus the Masters program really dealt with the bigger picture

and also due to the stress of my final project (in my program you had the choice to do a thesis or a project, the project is huge real life project with funding supplied by a client and requires a several hundred page graphic and text document as the final product, it is a lot more difficult than a thesis, but it is also a team project) i didnt start applying to jobs until a little before graduation...i guess i took it for granted how much easier it was for me to get the two internships in the past

and yes i would definately send my portfolio at least for you to take a look at if you wouldn't mind, it would be a big help since im out of school, and surprisingly got an email today from a L.A. firm that i had submitted my resume to asking to see my portfolio, so maybe send me your email address through a PM so i could send it? thank you!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Jul 2011, 1:32 PM
  2. Internship/entry level position chances
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 14 Mar 2011, 5:33 PM
  3. Entry level position
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Sep 2007, 5:15 PM