Thread: Books about planning and climate change

Registered
    Jan 2008

Books about planning and climate change

The APA bookstore lists three that may be on target-
    Sustainable Urbanism
    Growing Cooler
    Smart Growth in a Changing World

Anyone have any recommendations about any of these? Are there other books that may be better?

Florida Planners are going to have to get with the program soon. All plan amendments now have to show that they do not promote increased greenhouse gas emissions.

Registered
    Dec 2007

Built environments and man-made climate change

Quote Originally posted by Richi View post
    The APA bookstore lists three that may be on target-
    Sustainable Urbanism
    Growing Cooler
    Smart Growth in a Changing World

Anyone have any recommendations about any of these? Are there other books that may be better?
    I have the first two. In a past life I forecast weather and aborted a bioclimatology degree, so I'm passionate about the subject of man-made climate change.

o Farr's book is excellent for practice at smaller scales (less than landscape), highly recommended (albeit a tad pricey) for design ideas and justification
    o Growing Cooler is a little more overview and detail with a bit less application, still very good compendium for getting your talking points down for plans and policy justification, & advice and consent for electeds and appointeds.

You may also want to look at:
    o Soule Remaking American Communities - various essays on a wide range of topics: finance, econ, land use law, etc and integrated well.
    o Newman and Jennings Cities as Sustainable Ecosytems - 30,000 foot view
    o Friedman Sustainable Residential Development - good technical detail across smaller scales
    for decent surveys of the topic. Scaling from larger to smaller.

A bit separate from strict built environment planning and design is Benedict and McMahon Green Infrastructure (I'm a GI guy) for excellent 15,000 foot-view strategies at integrating green and gray infra.

Another good one for policy formation - esp at a larger scale - is Babbitt's Cities in the Wilderness for scaling, integration, policy justification and good stories about enacting policy at high levels.

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Thanks, Dan
    I can add another helpful "book" re: climate change. The Florida Energy and Climate Change Action Plan by The Florida Govenor's Action Team on Energy and Climate Change. It can be downloaded from www.flclimatechange.us. You want Documents and then Phase 2 report. It puts some really interesting numbers on ways to help curb greenhouse gases. Cost per unit of GHG removed and positive/negative costs.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Nov 2013, 8:12 PM
  2. GIS GIS / climate change
    Information Technology
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 27 Oct 2010, 4:49 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 10 Jun 2008, 10:52 PM
  4. Climate Change Report
    Friday Afternoon Club