Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Grad school: considering UNO, need some advice

Registered
    Dec 2008

Grad school: considering UNO, need some advice

HI folks,

I live up in Ottawa and am planning to apply to McGill for urban planning starting in fall 2009. If I do not get in, I'm considering moving to New Orleans (which I consider a second home) for a year to get state residency and then applying to UNO. I've got a couple questions...if anyone can help me out.

How does UNO's program stack up against the more well-known graduate planning programs?
    How much does one's school matter to potential employers?
    I'm interested in sustainable design incorporating waste materials, environmentally friendly systems, and community-based small scale planning. How much does UNO's planning program involve these elements and newer ideas in planning?

Registered
    Sep 2009

UNO thread - any luck?

I just came across your post from back in December. I was wondering if you had any responses concerning the UNO graduate planning program. I am thinking of seeking a master's degree in planning and am curious about the program at UNO. Could you let me know if you found anything out.

Thanks
    Mark

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I'm a UNO alum. PM me if you want my HONEST opinion on their planning program.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Sep 2009

RE: UNO

I don't seem to currently have PM privileges. Can you message me?

Thanks
    Mark

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Planderella -can you message me with your insights? I am looking at UNO's MURP program as well. Thanks

Registered
    Oct 2008
    Just stumbled across this post. I, too am considering UNO and am not able to PM. Anyone with any feedback into their program, please drop me a line!

Registered
    Dec 2009
    I too am looking into UNO for grad school, can you please email at msjmlewis@aol.com and give your feedback about the program. THANKS ALOT!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Same here. The possibility of working in New Orleans is very attractive to me, but I would like to know the student's perspective on UNO. PM me too please! if possible

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Okkoflo View post
    Same here. The possibility of working in New Orleans is very attractive to me, but I would like to know the student's perspective on UNO. PM me too please! if possible
    If you by chance hear anything about UNO before me can you please email...unfortunately i can't pm any message. THANK YOU!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    When I was in the market for grad schools I visited UNO. It seemed to be way out of the way. As in far from the heart of the city. In fact, we saw a house being raided by police on the way out to the school. But that's besides the point.

I met with Marla I believe, she did a good job of selling the school. Lots of opportunities to get involved with the community. I liked this.

While I'm from the south (Mississippi) and enjoy visiting the south, New Orleans was not the kind of place I wanted to live as a student.

You're more than likely to find a job in the south or anywhere else for that matter with a degree from UNO. A friend of mine graduated from their program, worked in Seattle for awhile and now works in Chicago. You can go places with a degree from there.

But, if you really want to work in New Orleans and be a part of what's going on down there, you can always get a degree from a slightly better school and go down there and work later in life.

As a working professional you'll probably have a better living situation than as a student. Plus, you'll be able to afford to do a lot more in New Orleans.

I obviously choose to stay closer to home. But New Orleans, and the south in general, is on my map to relocate after I graduate.
    Master of Public Administration - 2012
    Concentration: Metropolitan and Regional Policy
    Daniel J. Evans School of Public Affairs
    University of Washington, Seattle, WA

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally posted by djad206 View post
    When I was in the market for grad schools I visited UNO. It seemed to be way out of the way. As in far from the heart of the city. In fact, we saw a house being raided by police on the way out to the school. But that's besides the point.

I met with Marla I believe, she did a good job of selling the school. Lots of opportunities to get involved with the community. I liked this.

While I'm from the south (Mississippi) and enjoy visiting the south, New Orleans was not the kind of place I wanted to live as a student.

You're more than likely to find a job in the south or anywhere else for that matter with a degree from UNO. A friend of mine graduated from their program, worked in Seattle for awhile and now works in Chicago. You can go places with a degree from there.

But, if you really want to work in New Orleans and be a part of what's going on down there, you can always get a degree from a slightly better school and go down there and work later in life.

As a working professional you'll probably have a better living situation than as a student. Plus, you'll be able to afford to do a lot more in New Orleans.

I obviously choose to stay closer to home. But New Orleans, and the south in general, is on my map to relocate after I graduate.

Thank you so much for that insight, if by chance can you give your friend my email address msjmlewis@aol.com, so that I spoke with them about the program. THANKS AGAIN!!!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Sep 2011, 11:51 AM
  2. One year before grad school - advice please!
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Apr 2007, 6:31 PM
  3. Grad School advice
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 Jul 2006, 10:19 AM
  4. Grad School Advice
    Student Commons
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 21 Oct 2005, 2:30 AM
  5. Replies: 26