Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Would an employer send a letter if you got the job ?

Registered
    Dec 2008

Would an employer send a letter if you got the job ?

Hello everybody!

I recently had an interview in a rural township near Detroit for an entry level planning position. The interview went great the supervisor even said it was an excellent interview and was very complimentary in a genuine way. It was without question the best interview I have ever had. They told me that they would notify people at the beginning of this week. As I could not wait I called and asked if they had chosen a candidate. I talked with someone from the interview and was told that they had mailed out today the letters. My question is would they mail me a letter notifying me I had the job? I assume they would have told me then or would have called me already as the start date is next week. Is it protocol at all to notify only by letter? I greatly doubt it but figured somebody here may know. I also figured that they would have told me when I called? I know I could just wait a day or two and find out but I cant wait. I have been out of school for almost 2 years and have had 4 interviews and dozens of rejection letters. I know to keep trying but my patience is really wearing thin and the frustration level is rising. I dont expect to get the job as they did not notify me by phone or email but you never know.

Moderator note:
    (Gedunker) Please use descriptive thread titles in the professional forums. Title edited. Thanks and carry on!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    If they offered no verbal statement, you probably did not get it. Usually an offer is extended on the phone (to determine if a candidate is still available) and then a letter hits the post.

I hope for your sake that it's not a certain twp of my acquaintance. (Island with a year-round ferry?)

Suggest you relax and wait for next week. Normal business will resume on Monday.

HTH

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    You should receive a written letter of offer from the employer mailed to you. It may include the salary, start date, etc. These letters may also include additional compensation, benefits, and perks that were negotiated (typically not entry-level positions though).

Whatever you do, do not quit your current job until you receive a WRITTEN verification from the employer. I accidentally quit a paid internship years ago for a full-time job that was offered to me over the phone (turns out there was a miscommunication and they gave the job to someone else) and I lost all unemployment benefits.

No matter how confident you are with the interview, do not stop with the job search until you have accepted their offer, preferably in writing.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Vel and Nick are both correct. Typically a call would come first to verify if you still available/want the job. Second, an offer letter would be in the mail (sometimes overnight) that has the offical offer with wages, etc. This is the "offer" letter that has written verification for the acceptance of employment. Either three things have happened: 1) you did get the job and the folks who hire aren't in. 2) they still haven't decided anything and are sending rejections letter to certain folks and still deciding on other. 3) you didn't get the job.

Like nick said, don't stop looking for a job. It is the holidays and things might be a little slow. Good luck!
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I called another local Twp in the same county and talked to someone in their HR department. They told me that in their Twp they never tell someone over the phone they have the job and that they only do it by letter. She could not speak for where I had my interview but told me how they do it. I am hopeful but will find out soon I really hope I get the job obviously. The interview was last week and they told me the start date as Mon 12.29 so we will see sending a letter sure seems short notice but I made it clear I would be available then. In the interview the Supervisor even called it an excellent interview and said I was as sharp as they come. I hope I made enough of an impression to get the job.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In most public agencies, the preliminary offer for employment comes out of the HR department, not from the hiring authority. In my current position, I have very clear direction to have no contact with a potential hire after the interview; all further contact with the candidate comes out of HR.

Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    .....Whatever you do, do not quit your current job until you receive a WRITTEN verification from the employer....
    Better yet: don't quit your job until you pass the drug screening test.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by fareastsider View post
    ...The interview was last week and they told me the start date as Mon 12.29 so we will see sending a letter sure seems short notice but I made it clear I would be available then. In the interview the Supervisor even called it an excellent interview and said I was as sharp as they come. ....
    I r-e-a-l-l-y hope that this is not a Twp for which I have many first-hand tales of woe and intrigue.

Without naming the subject jurisdiction...I applied based on an on-line ad posted in August. Interview was in December. I returned for a second interview, and while in the nearby town picked up the bi-weekly tabloid. There was my name in an article, with an elevator pitch of my resume. Apparently I was going to be offered the job and everyone in the county had already been informed.

Did they mention that they are a dispatch center, and some code enforcement occurs via boat?

Oh, and no place would expect you to start on the first work day right after a holiday. Usually a successful candidate is offered the position, time passes while you accept, and there's discussion regarding the start day. Most folks need two weeks to relay the bad news to the current employer. Your comments from the Twp supervisor sound a lot like a familiar place (if it's the same guy, he told an admin, "you'll always have a job here" when she took a medical leave...and he had no authority to do that).

PM me, please!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Not to burst your bubble, but no matter how well you think you did in an interview, there is no guarantee that a great interview equals a job offer.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Your not bursting any bubble I thinks that is a given that a good interview doesn't equal an interview.

Registered
    Mar 2007

Off topic...

Fareastsider... do you also frequent Detroityes.com and use the same screen name?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Yes WSU I am the same Fareastsider. Whom might you be on there?

Veloise no the job is not for that Twp. I know which one you are talking about located in the "venice of Michigan!"

Registered
    May 2004
    ...Veloise no the job is not for that Twp. I know which one you are talking about located in the "venice of Michigan!"
    Phew. Something in the water ...a resident informed me that, because I did not own a boat, I was unqualified to work there.

Registered
    May 2005
    I can also imagine a scenario where there is another top pick but you are still in the running and they did not want to say anything to you over the phone until they heard from that other person. This has happened to us as an employer - someone called to ask about their status and they are the #2 pick. Not knowing if #1 would take the position, I was hesitant to say anything to #2 lest we end up offering them the position, which we did.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I think you need to relax and let the township follow its own process. Don't be a pest.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Dec 2008
    A pest? All I did was follow up with the interview. I'd love to relax but its really tough out here. I was just looking for some input and am sure I am coming off a bit frantic but I'm not going to be a pest to a place that offered an interview. Don't be a pest and wait for the response! I didn't consider that option! Thanks for the info I was about to visit their houses on christmas and inquire about the position.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    No! No!
    ...my lifestyle determines my death style!
    - Metallica

Registered
    Apr 2006
    A pest? All I did was follow up with the interview. I'd love to relax but its really tough out here. I was just looking for some input and am sure I am coming off a bit frantic but I'm not going to be a pest to a place that offered an interview. Don't be a pest and wait for the response! I didn't consider that option! Thanks for the info I was about to visit their houses on christmas and inquire about the position.
    Yes, no one on this board has any idea how difficult the job market is...coming off frantic makes you seem like a pest. The interview is done, there is nothing you can do to help you chances. You said you made a good impression why do you want to change that?

Do you have a competing offer or if you don't hear by this weekend does that make you unable to accept the job? If not then all you can do is wait. Have a beer and and a Merry Christmas.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Thank you to all who gave advice. I got my christmas rejection letter. I know I'm not alone in this but it sure sucks never landing something. This weekend I will be mad and on monday its back to work! Its all you can do.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Thank you to all who gave advice. I got my christmas rejection letter. I know I'm not alone in this but it sure sucks never landing something. This weekend I will be mad and on monday its back to work! Its all you can do.
    We have all been their...best of luck!
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I'm very sorry you didn't earn an offer. I have been in EXACTLY the same situation before, almost identical to your situation, MULTIPLE times. Like I said, the hardest part is keeping up with the job search. This might even happen again before you earn an offer.

Four Tips:
    1. As you know at the end of every interview, they will ask you if you have any questions. One of those questions you should ALWAYS ask in EVERY interview is what, if any, doubts or concerns the interviewers still have about you as a candidate after this interview. Very few interviewers are asked this question, and it puts them on the spot. However, most people appreciate the question because it gives you a golden opportunity to illustrate your strengths and to clarify other things. This might be more difficult to prove where you are underqualified for the job or learn that better qualified people are competing against you: you simply don't have the training or experience yet, so there is nothing you can do. I'll explain that more in #3.
    2. Chemistry is just as important as job skills, training, and experience. In addition to researching the job, find everything you can on each interviewer (this will take quite some time). Find out what their unique concerns are and get on their side during the interview. Sometimes, the only difference between two candidates is that one person is more likeable. Buy the book [I]Fearless Interviewing[/I and read it cover to cover. It has helped me and countless others earn jobs and internships.
    3. When you are rejected, find out why you were not selected for the job. I came in a razor sharp second place for a mid-level planning job in April (first job I have applied for in 3 years). The job went to a planner with more years than me, had an MUP (over my BUP), and was already AICP for a few years (I just passed the exam last month). They told me I did everything perfect, and it was a hard decision for them to make. The other person simply had better qualifications.
    4. Always leave with a good impression, no matter what happens. The planning profession is way too small to burn bridges. I still run into people from #3 at conferences and workshops.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008

FICO score

fareastsider, do you know what your FICO score is? Did you give your potential employers signed permission to check it? These days, a FICO score could be "make or break."

P.S. Say to yourself, "I'm not going to let THEM ruin my holiday," and resolve to have an extra wonderful one!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    seana, I certainly hope that you are wrong. It is bad enough that auto insurance premiums are now in part based on credit worthiness. I was once part of an interview team that rejected a potential finance director due to fairly recent personal and business bankruptcy filings; but goining into credit reports for staff planners is just a bit much.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    seana, I certainly hope that you are wrong. It is bad enough that auto insurance premiums are now in part based on credit worthiness. I was once part of an interview team that rejected a potential finance director due to fairly recent personal and business bankruptcy filings; but goining into credit reports for staff planners is just a bit much.
    To see how "make or break" FICO scores are to job applicants, one need only do a simple online search--
    Type this and get a deluge of sources:
    "FICO score" "job search"

A good intro article:
    FICO Scores Can Hurt Your Job Search

Some employers will look at the FICO scores of job applicants and use the scores as a decision-making factor in the hiring process. Although the FICO scoring system was not designed to be used for these purposes, the reality is that it is being used by more institutions and for more varied purposes than it was ever intended to be.
    Source: http://www.life123.com/article_FullS...7.html?start=2

While a company interviewing you is not permitted to access your score, they are allowed to request (with your written consent) a modified version of your credit report to see whether you have a history of meeting your financial responsibilities.
    Source: http://www.life123.com/article_Exper...353965797.html

Registered
    Dec 2008
    My FICO score is very good actually so i'm not worried about it. My biggest concerns are the time span since my last employment which was with a surveying company that I got laid off from due to a lack of work. The other is my little experience in the field as I have about 8 months in a county planning office and five years as a land surveyor. I thought though that I had a good basis to start with in those two varied yet related positions. I'm sure the competition is rough as many people with careers in planning spanning many years are now scattered looking for work to.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Anchorville??? Theats like Fair Haven without all the Glitz! Maybe its suburban Algonac?

I wish I had some advice for you about letter or not. I never got one, but I went from an internship to full-time employment and have been there ever since.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Send Cardinal on a Trip
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 01 Sep 2013, 12:28 PM
  2. how to send private message
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Jul 2013, 6:28 PM
  3. Should I send out resumes when no job is posted?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 28 Aug 2009, 3:36 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Nov 2008, 7:15 PM
  5. I have to send one of my own.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 03 Sep 2004, 5:45 PM