Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Metro rail projects that have been successful

Registered
    Dec 2008

Metro rail projects that have been successful

I am doing my Masters dissertation, I choose the topic on “The factors required for implementation of a successful
    Metro Project”. I am requesting you to send me any kind of literature reviews/ material related to the Metro Rail strategies and sceneries.

Looking for some guidance/advise to make my dissertation more valuable and effective.
    Thanks in advance

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Exactly what do you mean by Metro Rail? To some that implies a subway like the London "Underground" or NYC subway system. Others may think of commuter rail or the "metropolitian railways" that connect the edges of Budapest with outlying Villages/towns.

For the typical completely grade seperated systems, density and extent is critical. The urbaan area must be of relatively high density and the area covered needs to cover a large enough area to generate sufficient trios of a long enough distance.

Google the "Transit Cooperative Research Program". They may have publications that you can download that are of use.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    To answer the basic question in todays economy, check the old news stories from N.Y. on the subway upgrade to automation with sensors.

it's rare to find a rail project, that in it's own mind, doesn't think it's a great success.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Dear All,
    Thanks for the reply
    Please take Topic as whole Metro Rail projects as global view not specify particular project .If you have any particular project also ok i will manage based on that.
    Metro rail focused on the concepts of metro rail concepts, scenarios, strategies, etc. Metro rails, how they will be constructed, operate and maintain throughout the project life cycle, etc
    Thanks in advance and looking forward for the reply.
    Siva

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I'm not a planner, but part of the problem in putting the label of success on a rail project (in addition to the reluctance to automate) is the political bias on best practices. A case can be found for several types of leadership among transit plans, from smallest subsidies, ridership, redevelopment, or speed.

If best practices continue to trump new technology, then anything, and nothing, can wave the banner of success.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Jan 2009
    the dallas rail project is from what ive seen and heard pretty successful. when i was living there (10 years ago) it was still new. the last time i went to my parents to visit they said it was running at or above capacity and they were looking to expand it. if you want specific sources, check out the dallas morning news or texas monthly magazine (i think thats the name.)

i think as far as 'metro rail as concept' goes its a good example. you have a central city with 50+ miles of sprawl in all directions, a ridership that wasnt sold on the idea and now is running at full capacity and is expanding.

http://www.dart.org/

Registered
    Dec 2008

Thanks

Dear All
    Thank you very much for the info.
    But i need more info about the "The factors required for implementation of a successful Metro Project"
    As I need to write the about 400 pages on this thesis.
    Can any one help to get the information more about this topic?
    Thanks in advance.

Registered
    Jul 2008
    A forum on the internet is probably the worst place to look for guidance.
    Ask your professors...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008

Do some research

I think you need to define clearly what types of projects you want to consider (streetcars, BRT, LRT, subway, commuter rail, PRT.. there are many), and then think carefully about what constitutes "success". Do you mean financial, social, environmental, something else, or all of the above? Then do a lot of reading.

Personally I think this is either too broad a topic for a Master's, or you are intending a cursory review.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Oct 2008, 11:10 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 11 Feb 2005, 11:39 AM
  3. Most successful #1
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 18 Nov 2004, 12:11 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Nov 2003, 11:01 AM