Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 181 of 201 FirstFirst ... 171 180 181 182 191 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,525 of 5004

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 4 (2009)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    This foodie is celebrating with a can of SpaghettiO's.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2006

Planning gives Arts a black eye

A Columbia University professor has been charged with assault and harassment after an another Columbia employee accused him of punching her in the eye at a Morningside Heights bar Friday night.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/ny...a.html?_r=3&em
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Watched the launch of Shuttle Atlantis a little while ago on NASA TV. The command "Go with throttle up" always gives me the shivers.

Whoever coined the phrase "breaking in new shoes" got it right. My dogs are barking at me -- the shoes fit fine, but there's always that one place where they seem to rub the wrong way. And it seems the only thing to do is to wear 'em till the shoes conform or the callous forms.

Why do manufacturers start mens sock sizes at nine and go up to 13? What about us 8-1/2 fellows? A size 13 is huge compared to my feet. The heel ends up half way up my Achilles. Plus, I feel silly buying my socks in the kids section of stores.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Why do manufacturers start mens sock sizes at nine and go up to 13? What about us 8-1/2 fellows? A size 13 is huge compared to my feet. The heel ends up half way up my Achilles. Plus, I feel silly buying my socks in the kids section of stores.
    Women's sizes have the same problem...socks are manufactured for sizes 6-10! I'm a 6 1/2 and socks generally are too big.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Sock size 13 is about a 12 shoe (go figure). I have a 13.5 - 14 foot. I don't want to hear you complaining!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I got a massage last night. It was almost wonderful. It was my first time getting a hot stone massage and I highly recommend it. Unfortunately the woman had the strongest hands ever and wasn't afraid to use them. I was worried that I'd be all bruised today.

I know I could've asked her to tone it down a bit but I didn't want to look like a wimp.

So next time, before it begins, I'll ask her to ease up.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I think socks and other clothing was made for the "average" person. No one here being average, it's no surprise we can't find good socks, or in my case pants the right length (I always seem to need a tailor).
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Women's sizes have the same problem...socks are manufactured for sizes 6-10! I'm a 6 1/2 and socks generally are too big.

Buy boys socks- I'm your shoe size and they fit perfectly on me..

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post

Buy boys socks- I'm your shoe size and they fit perfectly on me..
    Thanks for the tip! Its good with winter fast approaching...
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I had to go out yesterday and stock up on winter clothes, jacket, boots, etc. I gave most of my heavy clothes to Goodwill when I moved.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Still no word on this new job. It has been over two weeks since my last interview. I phoned them last week and they said they were still making a decision. Seriously, how long does it take to pick a candidate already?
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Still no word on this new job. It has been over two weeks since my last interview. I phoned them last week and they said they were still making a decision. Seriously, how long does it take to pick a candidate already?
    In my experience they usually will have decided and are calling references or waiting for the chosen candidate to accept the position, negotiate salary, drug test, etc. before they call back the non-chosen candidates. They don't want to tell the second choice that they weren't picked and then have the first choice fall through.

I would be glad that you even got an interview in this market. I have over ten years planning experience, am AICP certified and I applied for an associate planner job that I felt I was extremely over-qualified for recently and I didn't even get an interview.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    In my experience they usually will have decided and are calling references or waiting for the chosen candidate to accept the position, negotiate salary, drug test, etc. before they call back the non-chosen candidates. They don't want to tell the second choice that they weren't picked and then have the first choice fall through.

I would be glad that you even got an interview in this market. I have over ten years planning experience, am AICP certified and I applied for an associate planner job that I felt I was extremely over-qualified for recently and I didn't even get an interview.
    Bummer. Oh Well, I went through 3 interviews and got down to the last 2, but i guess it wasn't meant to be. This sounds like the logical scenario. I just wish they would have phone and said, "at this point we have gone with another candidate, but we will keep in touch if you that falls through". Guess i will be buying a Christmas tree this year after all

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Longest lead time horror stories

Twp gig: saw the ad posted in August, applied.
    December interview (apparently they waiting until after the election). On the way home I picked up a copy of the local bi-weekly paper, and read an article about myself and how I'd been offered the job.

Major city: ad posted & application in April.
    Late April: HR sent a generic letter stating that the position would not be filled.
    Next day: letter from the department stating that this was incorrect.
    December interview.
    March call: "are you still available?" I guess they'd approached a few preferred candidates, who'd already been snapped up.

HTH

Registered
    Mar 2002
    ^^ Interviewed for a federal job in July. The following March they called and offered me the job. Seems there were some internal hurdles to be overcome on filling the job at all. I turned them down since I had been working at another job since October.

Registered
    Mar 2007

More Stories from Applicant Limbo...

At my current position, I applied for this job in July of 2006 and was promptly sent a letter stating that I was at the top of the candidate list and interviews were in the process of being scheduled. Two weeks went by without word so I called and was told that they were still working out the details... Two more weeks and I was told the same story. After that, I gave up and decided that they probably were not going to actually be filling the spot.

In April of 2007 I finally got an unexpected email to set up an interview for that same position. Three weeks from then, I start my first (and only so far) full-time jobby job in the planning world.

It turns out the hold-up was due to the department fighting with the budget folks to make the position a full-time one, then a change in department management at multiple levels, then the entire office getting reorganized and being physically moved into a new building.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Bummer. Oh Well, I went through 3 interviews and got down to the last 2, but i guess it wasn't meant to be. This sounds like the logical scenario. I just wish they would have phone and said, "at this point we have gone with another candidate, but we will keep in touch if you that falls through". Guess i will be buying a Christmas tree this year after all
    Keep your hopes high and your expectations low. Until they send you the "sorry" letter, there's still a chance.

And even afterwards. Sometimes the A candidate starts, and then is contacted by his/her first-choice job (which is not this one). I've seen folks leave a brand-new job because lightning struck.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the good word vel. Luckily things have mysteriously picked up at my office and I am cranking pretty good doing the job of 2 planners. Guess this falls in line with the whole "productivity" up, jobless recovery thing.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

APA Mailings

Look out all you members of APA. I just received my "Liberty Mutual Group Insurance will save you money" junk mail. UGH!

file 13 please...
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I'm so glad I ditched my APA membership. What a load of crap.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl View post
    I'm so glad I ditched my APA membership. What a load of crap.
    The APA and AICP is really starting to tick me off something serious.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I switched to ULI and have never been happier honestly.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Look out all you members of APA. I just received my "Liberty Mutual Group Insurance will save you money" junk mail. UGH!

file 13 please...
    I used to get upset by the APA's relentless mailings, but ever since we got the fireplace insert our heating bills have gone down considerably. Now I anxiously tread out the mailbox each day anxiously hoping for more complimentary fuel.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I've always enjoyed taking all the junk mail, sticking it in a return envelope and sending it back. It keeps the post office busy and keeps keeps someone looking at the mail. I should just forward my mail to Maister, he needs the fuel.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post

file 13 please...
    I enjoy sending that stuff through my confetti size cross cut shredder.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Closed thread
Page 181 of 201 FirstFirst ... 171 180 181 182 191 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 5562
    Last post: 01 Jan 2011, 12:01 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM