Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Are we being entertained into submission or death? TVís everywhere.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Are we being entertained into submission or death? TVís everywhere.

This morning as I am filling up my car, GSTV was playing on the gas pump. What is GSTV you ask? It is a networked Gas Station TV.

Call me old fashioned, but why do we need TVís on our gas pumps. Have we become so addicted to entertainment that we need to be entertained while we put gas in our car? I have seen things like this in other places, including TVís on the walls by the urinals in menís bathrooms, TVís inside shopping malls playing commercials for people as they walk by, TVís in almost every bar & grill you go into, and TVís in bus stops.

Heck, my dadís fifth wheel camper has a TV with a satellite dish. TV while camping kind of defeats the purpose of camping!

What are your thoughts on TVís being everywhere? Are we so indoctrinated with commercials and entertainment that we can no longer think for ourselves?
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Ads pay for the cheap(er) gas. Ads pay for the shiny canopy. Ads are what ruin everything.

In a society that wants everything for free (or at least have access to things for free), we did this to ourselves. HBO is my example. You have to pay for good programming, and you don't have to deal with crappy ads. NBC is "free", has weak programming, and is jam packed with ads.

Until we again are willing to pay for things, we will see companies continue to try and get advertising money from things that shouldn't be advertised on.

Welcome to "Your New Hospital" High School Football Stadium!

Ugh.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Ads pay for the cheap(er) gas. Ads pay for the shiny canopy. Ads are what ruin everything.

In a society that wants everything for free (or at least have access to things for free), we did this to ourselves. HBO is my example. You have to pay for good programming, and you don't have to deal with crappy ads. NBC is "free", has weak programming, and is jam packed with ads.

Until we again are willing to pay for things, we will see companies continue to try and get advertising money from things that shouldn't be advertised on.

Welcome to "Your New Hospital" High School Football Stadium!

Ugh.
    I think in some ways, it has always been like that. Take Wrigley Field for example.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I hate those GSTV TVs. They are so loud, ill-tuned, and annoying. However, they are headquartered in my downtown actually employee quite a few people and seem to be prosperous and growing, so I'll cut them some slack. If they were HQed elsewhere, maybe I'd be less forgiving.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I think TV's are like a lot of things. It's how you use them. As for the whole TV will rot your brain, that discussion has been happening since the 50's. The internet and all the devices that hook up to it, is the same way. It can be used for both good and bad. Some people will get hooked on it and use it for the wrong reasons.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmm.....

Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I think TV's are like a lot of things. It's how you use them. As for the whole TV will rot your brain, that discussion has been happening since the 50's. The internet and all the devices that hook up to it, is the same way. It can be used for both good and bad. Some people will get hooked on it and use it for the wrong reasons.
    ^^^^^^^Geeet Offf my LAWN!!^^^^^^^^^

I can't stand those crappy gas station tv's blurting out noise pollution all day......makes my ears hurt!! and eyes bleed I avoid those stations.......
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    Those TV's will only dominate you or destroy you if you let them. I ignore TV's that play in public places. They have no power over me.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I have found means to counter their efforts to do mind control

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, ďWhere are you from?Ē doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I have found means to counter their efforts to do mind control

I knew you were a hipster. Beard and glasses with a "one of a kind" hat... typical.

Registered
    May 2006
    I used to like TV but all the commercials annoy me. I avoid the gas stations with TVs and ignore TVs in public places. I will watch the occasional game or sporting event while at the bar.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 70
    Last post: 20 May 2013, 10:10 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Nov 2009, 3:35 PM
  3. MLA portfolio submission
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Jul 2006, 9:20 PM
  4. Subdivision Digital plat submission
    Land Use and Zoning