Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Exploring Google Maps

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

"Bicycling" now a travel option

Apparently it's in beta, and you can report back routes that are ill-suited (such as the 55 mph 6-lave arterial it suggested to me).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post

Those "working women" don't look anything the ones I see around town. Add about 50 pounds and then it's more accurate. Actually, looking around Italy you'll see a lot of these women standing around.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This will be very funny to users of Google Maps: http://niemann.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/10/my-way/

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Oops !!!

This morning I was wandering around Bing Maps......just off the coast, Michigan's "thumb", north of Port Huron. The data for Lake Huron said....

Sault Ste. Marie Canals.

WTF?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Does it seem to anyone else as if a disproportionate amount of street view imagery depicts blue skies & sunny days? I'm sure some attempt was made to ensure they weren't recording poor imagery during the middle of a downpour, but the net effect this leaves on the viewer is that we live in a halcyon world where the birdies chirp and neighbors bring over apple pies every day (or as the band Aha once put it 'the sun always shines on tv')
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Does it seem to anyone else as if a disproportionate amount of street view imagery depicts blue skies & sunny days? I'm sure some attempt was made to ensure they weren't recording poor imagery during the middle of a downpour, but the net effect this leaves on the viewer is that we live in a halcyon world where the birdies chirp and neighbors bring over apple pies every day (or as the band Aha once put it 'the sun always shines on tv')
    Think of seeing a tornado in the background, or snow banks 5 foot tall in Buffalo. Let's do image capture during a flood event. Hey, shoot Fargo, ND right now with the Red River out of its banks.

I need to check NOLA's 9th ward to see whats been doen there.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I think your view is skewed by the fact that you live where the skies are cloudy all day. Here in , those blue skies and sunny days are just a fact of life. In fact, I ofter wear sun glasses on cloudy days because the sky is still too bright for unfiltered viewing.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2004
    My sister was trying to plan a family trip to the Grand Canyon. I looked it up on Googlemaps to view what the gateway city looked like at the south rim. It seems they drove through that in one nasty storm, can't see a darned thing. Some of the more popular sights within the park however it looks like it was a bright sunny day.

My own home does not appear on googlemaps even though they drove right by it. It seems they drove by in the morning when the sun was low, all you see is a bright sunspot obscured by a blob (my house).
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    My own home does not appear on googlemaps even though they drove right by it. It seems they drove by in the morning when the sun was low, all you see is a bright sunspot obscured by a blob (my house).
    My current residence, the one in South Carolina, and my last one in Oregon are not on the street view of Google Maps. Probably because they are all on private streets.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2003

Private Golf Course?

Tonight I was wandering around, via Bing Maps, in Palm Springs, CA. Noticed a huge building, surrounded by what appears to be an 8 or 9 hole golf course. It is directly across Frank Sinatra Boulevard from the Desert Island Golf Course. At first I thought it was simply an across-the-road extension of the Desert Island layout, but upon closer inspection, there is a gated entrance and NO golf cart paved paths.

My question for the wandering duffers of Cyburbia......is it a private residence, with their own private course or perhaps, a private business? Anybody know the answer?

Slightly off-topic.....amazing scenes from the air in Palm Springs.....desert white on one sided of a road and solid green on the other side of the road.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I jusy read an article on the Bay of Nouadhibou in Mauritania and the 500-strong ship graveyard that is supoposed to be there. I decided to explore a bit with google map and found some ships. The most obvious one is here:

Beached cargo ship

Then I found another article with the coordinates, which is not as much fun:

One of the largest ship graveyards: the bay of Nouadhibou

20°54'03.23"N 17°02'31.56"W

It's amazing that it's more economical to throw all those ships away than it is to do something useful with them.

Registered
    May 2003
    Another fun thing for this Bear, when wandering Google Maps or Bing Maps, is to follow railroad lines. Really enjoyed following lines from the major west coast ports, chugging away with containers filled with the things we need (and don't need).

Buy, baby, buy !!!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Triborough Bridge

This Bear is slowly (and with much purpose) reading The Power Broker. I have arrived at the part about the huge NYC project known as The Triborough Bridge. So after reading some of it I jumped to Bing Maps to check it out. Pretty impressive......and I love just following the access roads, etc., to see how they arranged it all. And I have a question.....

The park areas are on Randall's Island. I spent some time trying to find a non-toll method of getting to those play areas, which include baseball diamonds, football fields, tennis courts, etc. I gotta believe that I just missed the way. I can't believe that folks would pay $5.50 everytime they had a softball game.

Help?

Note: Seana, if you still hang here and lurk, help an old Bear out. Show me the way!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Another fun thing for this Bear, when wandering Google Maps or Bing Maps, is to follow railroad lines. Really enjoyed following lines from the major west coast ports, chugging away with containers filled with the things we need (and don't need).

Buy, baby, buy !!!

Bear
    I've done this before, especially with lines that I know of that pass nearby where I live just to see where they go.

I also like to follow some of the US routes, like US 6, US20, US45, old Rt. 66, Highway 1 (PCH), old US 1, etc.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    This Bear is slowly (and with much purpose) reading The Power Broker. I have arrived at the part about the huge NYC project known as The Triborough Bridge. So after reading some of it I jumped to Bing Maps to check it out. Pretty impressive......and I love just following the access roads, etc., to see how they arranged it all. And I have a question.....

The park areas are on Randall's Island. I spent some time trying to find a non-toll method of getting to those play areas, which include baseball diamonds, football fields, tennis courts, etc. I gotta believe that I just missed the way. I can't believe that folks would pay $5.50 everytime they had a softball game.

Help?

Note: Seana, if you still hang here and lurk, help an old Bear out. Show me the way!

Bear
    $5.50 is CHEAP in that area - it costs $10 or more to use most ocean beaches and other attractive parks in the northeast and more for parking (if it is available) - especially if you are not a resident of whatever micro-town it happens to be in.

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    $5.50 is CHEAP in that area - it costs $10 or more to use most ocean beaches and other attractive parks in the northeast and more for parking (if it is available) - especially if you are not a resident of whatever micro-town it happens to be in.

Mike
    Ahem...it's free if you walk or bike and public transportation is about $2 each way to get to Randall's Island.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The toll bridge to our favorite beach is 50 cents each way (so its a dollar). There is a way to get there free, but its several miles out of the way.

Coordinates if ya wanna go there:
    27degrees 42' 24.21" N 82degrees 44' 18.56" W
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    When a landowner with too much money, a bored surveyor, and a tree cutter in need of work gets together:

LUECKE from space

Pay attention to the scale to really appreciate the size of this. Not a fan of the clear-cutting, obviously, but still quite a sight.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Nice. I guess the practice of having your name spelled out in shingles on the barn roof just doesn't quite cut it anymore.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    When a landowner with too much money, a bored surveyor, and a tree cutter in need of work gets together:

LUECKE from space

Pay attention to the scale to really appreciate the size of this. Not a fan of the clear-cutting, obviously, but still quite a sight.
    Yikes. Only in Texas.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    Yikes. Only in Texas.
    Perhaps not. There is this in New Jersey.

http://googlesightseeing.com/maps?p=...4,0.008991&t=k

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Perhaps not. There is this in New Jersey.

http://googlesightseeing.com/maps?p=...4,0.008991&t=k
    There's a difference between doing that in a grass field than in a forested area.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    There's a difference between doing that in a grass field than in a forested area.
    Yeah, the height of the vegetation. That grass field was a forest at one time too.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Google Street View is now live for Johannesburg, South Africa.

Plopping down the Streetview Man in a random spot, SA's built environment is ... well, pretty, but also pretty bad. No sidewalks, fortified houses ... sad.

Some Jo'burg sprawl. Almost every commercial strip I've plunked down in seems to be a strip of auto dealers. The look of commercial areas is kind of like Canada meets SoCal.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Google Street View is now live for Johannesburg, South Africa.

Plopping down the Streetview Man in a random spot, SA's built environment is ... well, pretty, but also pretty bad. No sidewalks, fortified houses ... sad.

Some Jo'burg sprawl. Almost every commercial strip I've plunked down in seems to be a strip of auto dealers. The look of commercial areas is kind of like Canada meets SoCal.
    It is kind of sad - South Africa suffered a MASSIVE increase in crime rates, including violent crime. after Apartheid was done away with and from what I am aware of, the Johannesburg area suffered the most. I have seen before/after photologs of the downtown area of Johannesburg that are JAW DROPPING in how far and fast that area collapsed. Think on the lines of North Michigan Ave in Chicago turning into Woodward Ave in Detroit.

I certainly hope that things have improved since then and that things do go right for them with the World Cup.

Panning over to the available parts of Soweto, on the other side of the Johannesburg metro area, you'll find similar residential fortifications, only on a much smaller size scale. Also, the properties there appear to be immensely improved since the 'bad old days'.

Truly fascinating.

Mike

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Bicycling directions on Google maps!
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 17 Jun 2010, 3:08 PM
  2. Blurred areas in Google Maps
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11