Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Architecture forum

Registered
    Dec 2008

Architecture forum

Could anyone point me in the direction of a good architecture forum if you know of one. Thanks!

Registered
    Jun 2002
    Architectural Record magazine has a possibly interesting website:

http://archrecord.construction.com/practice/blogs/

I have not spent any time there, but maybe this could help you find a useful forum.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Spoonsticky View post
    Could anyone point me in the direction of a good architecture forum if you know of one. Thanks!
    Please be more specific:
    What should the forum's orientation be: vocational; academic; professional; public policy; general interest, etc.?
    More photography- or publication-focused?
    The posters: mostly architects, varied professionals, or pot pourri?
    The photography: mostly professional, or pot pourri?
    Any specific types of buildings or structures?
    Modern architecture, or 'period'?
    Concentration on any particular architects?
    What particular location(s), or type of location?
    Should the forum be pretty much architecture-oriented, or are essentially unrelated sub-forums OK?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    Please be more specific:
    What should the forum's orientation be: vocational; academic; professional; public policy; general interest, etc.?
    More photography- or publication-focused?
    The posters: mostly architects, varied professionals, or pot pourri?
    The photography: mostly professional, or pot pourri?
    Any specific types of buildings or structures?
    Modern architecture, or 'period'?
    Concentration on any particular architects?
    What particular location(s), or type of location?
    Should the forum be pretty much architecture-oriented, or are essentially unrelated sub-forums OK?
    I suppose an academic/professionally oriented forum where the posters are architects, students, academics, and so forth. I'd like somewhere where I can learn about the general trade, not necessarily a particular movement, period, or person. I am looking for something kind of like Cyburbia.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    I'd try this one. It's very active and similar to Cyburbia in a lot of ways.

http://www.archinect.com/forum/indexed.php

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Links to two WNY forums with quality posts of photos and renditions,
    accompanied by informed discussion:
    World Skyscrapers and Architecture
    New York Skyscrapers and Architecture

Registered
    Mar 2009

Largest Forum

You could try skyscraper city, I know it is the largest forum of its kind, not sure about the best. Focuses on news, photos and discussions on skyscrapers, skylines, cities, architecture and urbanity.

Skyscrapercity

Archinect sucks-- the people who have stuck around longer on the forum (i.e., the high post counters) are so ideologically and socially inbred.

It would be mildly entertaining for cyburbia and archinect to have a battle over whether or not Detroit was/is an awful city.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by pierre-montee View post
    Archinect sucks-- the people who have stuck around longer on the forum (i.e., the high post counters) are so ideologically and socially inbred.

It would be mildly entertaining for cyburbia and archinect to have a battle over whether or not Detroit was/is an awful city.
    Moderator note:
    No...it wouldn't be funny.

I hope you're being facetious, therefore I just want to remind everyone that forums wars are not wanted.

So, let's play nice in the interwebs sandbox and pierre-montee - please dial back your vitriol next time.

Thanks
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

I wasn't suggesting a forum war? I was merely suggesting that the views of architects and the views of planners are so highly polarized when it comes to that city.

Perhaps when archinect starts paying cyburbia's bill you can defend it all you want but I think it's a conflict of interest there to defend competing websites as a moderator. I mean... if there's something personal going on.

I think you jumped the gun on dishing out the red warnings. But go ahead and ban me for saying archinect is close-minded.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    pierre-montee, what do you think of the forums that Woolley and I listed?

Not as pretty or easy to read but more flexibility. I cross referenced three thread ideas from all three boards to archinect... and it seems that the other three are far more balanced.

I read the archinect boards for over a year. There's some basic assumptions to make about the "hidden rules (despite the fact that architect has no TOS... so ever rule is bad)".

They are:
    1. Gehry is both god and the devil. Contrast him whichever way suits your argument.
    2. Never ever criticize Frank Lloyd Wright for he is anointed.
    3. Never bring up the topic of density.
    4. Forever look past beaux-arts architecture as a legitimate architectural school.
    5. Complain about Zaha Hadid and Remy Koolhaus while secretly giving a reacharound to Renzo Piano.
    6. Planners are dog crap who are only around to get between you and your vision.
    7. Detroit is an awesome place-- never make the connection between white flight and the collapse of Detroit's urban core.
    8. New York is for slaves. L.A. is for bangin'.
    9. Anything that planning does that is awesome is instantly "architecture," anything negative that planning does is "government intervention."

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    PushPullBar (http://www.pushpullbar.com/forums/index.php) is a rather decent architecture forum. It's probably the closest equivalent on the architecture side to the Cyburbia Forums.

Outside of the US, there's the friendly folks over at Archiseek (http://www.archiseek.com/). Their forums, with a strong focus on Ireland, are at http://www.archiseek.com/content/ .

I think it's important to point out there's a big difference between architecture forums like PushPullBar, Archiseek and Archinect, and skyscraper/urbanist forums like Skyscraper City and Skyscraper Page. The former cater mainly to architects and architecture students, while the latter draw a crowd of architecture fans, mainly enthusiasts of large buildings, large infrastructure projects, and so on. Nothing wrong with the skyscraper forums -- I belong to them myself, and occasionally participate -- but there's a far greater concentration of pros and studio rats at the architecture forums.

FWIW, just like Cyburbia, Archinect and PushPullBar have some interesting threads about how the recession is affecting those on the architecture side.

Speaking as the admin here, we really don't consider any of the architecture forums to be competition. There's something of a rival site on the planning side, but their forums aren't very busy.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by pierre-montee View post
    8. New York is for slaves. L.A. is for bangin'.
    Dear Diary,
    Today I learned that I've been a slave for almost two decades. If I ever move back to L.A. because the weather's better for my spinal stenosis, I can look forward to bangin'.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 24 Aug 2012, 12:03 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 03 May 2007, 4:06 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 06 Sep 2006, 11:38 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Sep 2005, 8:16 PM
  5. Architecture forum in India
    Design, Space, and Place