Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Garden city movement

Registered
    Jan 2009

Garden city movement

Hi all, I see that someone has suggested a wikitopic on the garden city movement, well Im not offering to do anything on this, but I am going to be visiting Letchworth from tomorrow (5th Jan) to the 12th Jan. So I shall take pictures where I can of prominant buildings and areas etc.

For all of you who are not aware, Letchworth is the worlds first Garden City. Ebenezer (spelling?) Howard is claimed as the father of the Garden City Movement. Although I have found websites (when studying for exams) that suggest that Howard expanded on ideas from the 1800's park movement in London. I'll see if I can find the site, it was around 8/9months ago that I found it.

Years ago, when I was a student for a couple of months near London, I made a point of going to at leat 3-4 of the new towns and garden cities in the region. They are worth a visit. you should let us all know your impressions.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Make sure you get to Welwyn Garden City too as, Letchworths' garden-ness has been erroded over the years, Welwyn is largely intact.

Stevenage is a good example of a 1960's new town, as is Hatfield. I would recommend contrasting these with Hitchen, a small market town, and St Albans a very attractive and prosperous town dating back to the Romans. 9 miles away, Luton is a good example of English urban banality, its still quite industrial and very, very dull.

If your pressed for time though, i'd say Welwyn and Stevenage. If you don't have a car they are both on the same railway, and cycleable.

I would also suggest visiting Milton Keynes.

Registered
    Jan 2009

ahh...

I only said I'd take pictures didnt I? lmao, im actually down here to visit family, and yes Stevenage is a good example of New Town and Hitchin is a beauty in the Summer, but unfortunately I dont have time to go round all those areas, having trouble finding the required information I need for my dissertation case studies...

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dsmccafferty View post
    I only said I'd take pictures didnt I? lmao, im actually down here to visit family, and yes Stevenage is a good example of New Town and Hitchin is a beauty in the Summer, but unfortunately I dont have time to go round all those areas, having trouble finding the required information I need for my dissertation case studies...
    Suit yourself.

But i'd still say Welwyn is more intact and just a 'better' example :-P

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Maybe so, but letchworth is the first and I love how so many of the original features are still intact. I have neveractually been to Welwyn myself so cant comment on that one.

And the pictures, if anyone is doing that page then I shall hand over.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:21 PM
  2. Books that define a movement.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 31 Mar 2009, 11:33 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 12 Dec 2006, 11:39 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Nov 2006, 10:20 AM