Urban planning community

Poll results: Did your holiday indulgences change your weight?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gained 1-2 lbs

8 29.63%
  • Gained 5 lbs

7 25.93%
  • Gained 10 lbs

1 3.70%
  • Hah! I lost weight.

7 25.93%
  • I don't even want to think about it. Pass me the pie.

4 14.81%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Holiday Weight Thread

Registered
    Aug 2005

The Holiday Weight Thread

For a lot of people the holiday season equals family gatherings. And for many family gatherings equal food. Lots of food. Special holiday-only food. Unfortunately for some, holiday food also equals holiday weight gain.

How much weight did you gain this holiday season? 5lbs? 10lbs?

Were you one of the lucky ones who is able to exercise control around Aunt Edna's Famous Chocolate Chip cookies? Did you lose weight?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I overindulge and am pretty sure I put on weight. I didn't weigh myself beforehand so I'm not sure quite how much. I normally don't have large quantities of food around so I'm sure it will come off.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Weight did not go up but my HbA1c went up.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

For the first time ever, I seem to have put on weight. Or as my big brother kindly put it: even as everyone else thought you were a scrawny kid, I knew you had a gut just waiting to bust out!

Isn't that what big brothers are for?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I have managed to loose 7 lbs between now and T-day but I have to fit in a wedding gown so the incentive to lose is pretty darn strong. I WILL fit in and look good in something I spent that much money on.

Darn hard to drop the last few lbs and keep it off between now and March 22. I want to eat like a fiend and sleep all winter long
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Not sure how I did it.. cause I ate a lot of crap. But since the day before Thanksgiving I've lost about 10 lbs. I'm sure the stress of my divorce, and how busy I've been with my kids, helped me. And, I've been working out more.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Damage was done, but it could have been worse. I'd say 2-5 lbs or so were gained.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'll tell you tomorrow morning. I only weigh myself in the nude.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I gained a steady weight from Thanksgiving onward to now. I base this on a diet of sweets, over-indulgence and whiskey. Over Christmas, my weight gained was quelled a bit by the very fact of having to shovel snow laden roofs in the Inland Northwest. But upon my return it has been one giant snack-o-rama.

Today, I have loaded up on the protein and vegetables which had tempered my sweet tooth so far.
    Tomorrow morning: hit the weights.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    3-5 lbs gained. I was off my feet for most of December from slipping on the ice. Hopefully, I will get good news from my podiatrist next week about moving onto physical therapy and then back to the gym.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I gained at least 7lbs. I'm a little afraid to step on the scale and see what the exact number is. For me, it was a combination of holiday cookies/brownies/pie and less physical activity that did me in. I was eating 2,500-3,000 calories a day last summer with all the bike riding I was doing, and when it got cold and dark, I didn't scale back the calories to compensate... it's damn hard to do when your body insists on going to into hibernation mode as the solstice approaches. I'm already hitting the gym now with spinning class a few nights a week and running 15 miles per week to get back into fighting trim.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

As short as I am, even one pound looks like 20 pounds on a person of average height

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I avoid weighing myself, so I don't really know for sure, but I usually gain weight in the wintertime anyway... and since entering my 40s, my metabolism just isn't what it used to be.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I gained about 3/4 of a pound during our week in CA, so I'm not complaining. We did a lot of walking, which I'm sure helped counterbalance all the wine tastings and bigger dinners than I usually eat.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I finally passed the 150 mark consistently. (I'm a 6'2" scrawny SOB).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    I gained about two pounds. I think it was less about the holidays than about the general trend of weight gain over the last year. New job, move out of state, home purchase, children in preschool for the first time. I'm a mess and I feel awful.

However, I am redeeming myself. I joined Weight Watchers last Friday. I'm attending meetings and I'm going to lose at least 10% of my body weight by the end of February or God help me.....

Registered
    Mar 2004

Enough is enough.....

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I'll tell you tomorrow morning. I only weigh myself in the nude.
    Ok....MODS, can we get this guys name changed from RichmondJake to TMI?

Oh yeah.....I'm working the Wii Fit overtime from now until Spring!!
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I gained about12-15 lbs. Overeating and increased beer intake. I'm not much on exercise, so not sure how its going to come off.
    ...my lifestyle determines my death style!
    - Metallica

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    My answer to this would fit in well with the wish thread:
    "I wish I would lose weight over the holidays!"
    "You lost weight, but you were sick for two weeks, didn't get to see family and friends, and you're still filled with snot!"

Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I finally passed the 150 mark consistently. (I'm a 6'2" scrawny SOB).
    I finally passed the 150 mark, too! Unfortunately, I am 5.6

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I have put on about 20lbs since I got married back in May - and let me assure you it is not because of the multitude of home cooked meals from Mrs. WSU MUP Student. I blame it entirely on my choice of a daily drink from Starbucks which consisted of nothing but milk, sugar, chocolate, and a shot of coffee along with my love of McDonald's Southern Style Chicken Sandwich and pitchers and pitchers of beer (which were always accompanied by an entire pizza) every Wednesday night at bowling.

So over the past month or so I have all but cut beer out of my diet, limited my sugary/fatty Starbucks (or Caribou or Biggby) to once a week, and have given up fast food lunches in the new year (I did this last year as well and made it about 5 months). I have also signed back up for a couple of Spinning© classes at my local YMCA which began yesterday.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    I finally passed the 150 mark, too! Unfortunately, I am 5.6
    Count me in the scrawny club too. I've been gunning for 150. I've been making some progress over the past few weeks, and my plan is to soon have actual shoulders like an adult!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I gained about 6-7 lbs over the holidays, but that was on top of the extra 25 lbs I've been carrying around for the last couple years.

And TexanOkie - I passed 150 lbs when I was about 15 - that's 16 years ago.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I lost ten pounds between Tday and now. But I also gained probably 15 this summer from the gallbladder problems, medication, and socializing with the then boyfriend. I have been on a mission the last few years to lose weight overall and have done rather well, so I hope to continue on the right track

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I went back to the gym this morning and to tell you the truth, I wasn't into it. Not that I lazily wanted to get back to bed, but I think I wanted more of a "natural" workout. I looked at the weights. I looked at the people tirelessly moving on the treadmills. It just doesn't seem right to me.
    However, I got a decent workout in and I have hockey tonight as well. I still have to pay for this gym membership through April, but I doubt I will renew. I almost want to find a cheapo weight bench and some dumbells to keep in my basement; with tuesday night hockey and cycling (I promise I will go again!! ) along with dog walking to be my cardio.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The Cyburbia Weight Loss Plan (TM)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 30 Jun 2014, 10:07 AM
  2. Replies: 46
    Last post: 07 Dec 2011, 11:12 PM
  3. Why Brando gained all that weight
    Friday Afternoon Club