Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Columbia MsRED

Registered
    Feb 2009
    I applied to USC in November and interviewed two weeks ago. You?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Yeah, I interviewed about two weeks ago as well. When do you think they're going to let us know? Which is your first choice school?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    arch_admissions@columbia.edu

Please consult your online status. It is up to date.
    Candidates will receive a response in late March.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    You mean the online application website? or is there another site? How do you know that it will be late march?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Hi all,

I too have applied to the Columbia MSRED program. I just spoke with a close friend of mine who is currently enrolled in the program. He tells me that the current 08-09 class had about 300 applicants with 92 admitted. The school tells the current students that they are processing about 400 applications for the 09-10 school year with about the same target acceptance numbers or possibly some fewer.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

H

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Did your friend give you any insight on decisions being made any earlier than the April 1st date?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Hempdiddy View post
    Hi all,

I too have applied to the Columbia MSRED program. I just spoke with a close friend of mine who is currently enrolled in the program. He tells me that the current 08-09 class had about 300 applicants with 92 admitted. The school tells the current students that they are processing about 400 applications for the 09-10 school year with about the same target acceptance numbers or possibly some fewer.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

H

Last year they had 350 applicants, so it's about 15% increase this year. Someone posted their admission stats link on first page.

It's going to depend on the yield, if they get a strong response from applicants then a fewer offer will be made. Last year's yield was about 73%.

Quote Originally posted by sully View post
    Did your friend give you any insight on decisions being made any earlier than the April 1st date?
    Sully,

Did you hear anything from USC? By the way, would you mind sharing who you interviewed with - first name and last name initial is fine.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 25 Feb 2009 at 10:05 AM. Reason: seq. posts

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Nothing yet. I interviewed with a guy named Brian W about three weeks ago.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by sully View post
    Nothing yet. I interviewed with a guy named Brian W about three weeks ago.

I didn't hear anything yet either, hang in there - only four more weeks to go.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Hi all,

Hope this helps.

Regards,

H
    i expected about 400. however doubt there are going to have fewer spots.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Hi all,

Just found out I've been accepted to Columbia's MSRED program!

Accepted:
    Columbia
    Johns Hopkins
    U of Illinois, Chicago

Unknown:
    MIT
    UF

To Columbia applicants: Please provide an update...!

Congrats Hempdiddy.

I was also notified (3/13) that I was accepted to Columbia.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally posted by jaruss01 View post
    Thanks!

looks like it will be well under 40% this year considering RE layoffs...wouldnt be suprised if it was below 30%.
    yeh v possible. I had my USC interview w an alum and he told me for USC applications were up 50%.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally posted by lifeas0ne View post
    Congrats Hempdiddy.

congrats!!

i am also waiting for a reply in order to be accepted for the MsRED of columbia.

Could you please tell us whether you have alreayd any professional full time experience?

My only concern is this, since i have a high undergrad score and i have several part time experiences and only 1 1/2 years full time prof experience in the field

i am anxious ...

Registered
    Mar 2009

Congrats to those accepted to Columbia MSRED

I too got word on Friday that I have been accepted to Columbia's MSRED. Just waiting to hear from MIT.

Has anyone heard from MIT yet? MIT says that admission decisions will be sent out by the first week of April. I was curious as to how likely they are to send decisions out prior to the first week of April?

Registered
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally posted by GK83 View post
    I too got word on Friday that I have been accepted to Columbia's MSRED. Just waiting to hear from MIT.

Has anyone heard from MIT yet? MIT says that admission decisions will be sent out by the first week of April. I was curious as to how likely they are to send decisions out prior to the first week of April?
    Could either of you help...

How were you notified and what city do you guys live in?

Thanks and Congrats!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by lifeas0ne View post
    Congrats Hempdiddy.

well, appears new yorkers were notified.

i really hope that the 3/13 round wasnt a majority of their notifications. does anyone know how these rounds usually work? i figure they release 120 or so acceptance notifications...wonder how many are left for second round.

has anyone received a rejection letter? or do programs typically leave those to the end.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    House,

I live in Fresno, CA and I was notified by e-mail. The e-mail stated that my admission decision was ready and there was a link. The link takes you the application website where you enter the same username and password you used for filling out the application. Once you log in, the decision is right there on the same page.

Registered
    Mar 2009
    I was accepted to USC (MRED), Columbia (MS Real Estate) and Harvard (MDesS in Real Estate) for 2009-2010.

I am leaning toward USC, as I live in LA and will most likely be out here for a while after school. I am also looking for a school with a very strong financial component and entrepreneurial emphasis.

For those of you with experience with any of these schools, I would be grateful for you input. What are your thoughts on these schools, specifically for entrepreneurial development?

Thanks!

(For those of you still waiting, USC let me know about 2 weeks ago, Columbia and Harvard within the last week. So I believe all the schools are still making decisions.)

Registered
    Mar 2009
    LA Arch,

I think USC is really good from the entrepreneurial standpoint. I hear its a good school if you want to come right out and do your own development. I'm not as familiar with them with regards to finance, but I suspect their decent. The vibe I get from USC is that they take a pretty holistic approach to real estate development. I get that same vibe from Columbia as well.

Harvard's program is something I'm not sure about. The School of Design does not seem too committed to the program in terms of resoruces. I think their program is also 3 semesters (Fall-Spring-Fall) if I'm not mistaken. I consider the length a drawback. You'll also note that they don't have their own dedicated center for real estate like some of the other top schools. I think you're basically getting the Harvard name and networking, but not too much else. The nice thing about Harvard though is that you can cross-register and take classes at MIT's center for real estate. I considered that scenario myself, but decided to balk on applying to Harvard and just applied to MIT and Columbia.

Basically, in my opinion your decision should come down to Columbia or USC unless for some reason you are especially bent on having that Harvard name on your resume. Personally, I did not apply to USC even though I live in California. I view going back to school as an opportunity to explore a new city in a different part of the country.

Did you apply to MIT? I would say they are the best with respect to finance. They put out tons of finance related research.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Is anyone in limbo with Columbia notifications?

Any idea of what is happening with admissions? From what I have gathered, I believe all of the acceptances went out on 3/13.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    I believe all the Columbia notification went out... and here's why:

To GK83,

You're in the same boat as me. But did you know...(?) you'll have to give your response (and deposit) to Columbia as to whether you accept or not prior to you knowing if you were accepted at MIT. MIT won't notify, most likely, until April 1st but Columbia is requiring your acceptence response (according to thier acceptance notification letter) by March 27th.

This desicion will also have to be made prior to you recieving your financial aid package as well.

Interesting.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Solved. Someone younger in admissions accidently mentioned that more notifications were going out on the 27th. Coincidence? Looks like these minimal second round notifications will be dictated by whatever seats remain open.

I suppose there will be very few waitlisted. And if there are, they wont be accepted until a matter of weeks before classes start.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Very, very interesting.

jaruss01 - check your profile; I'm sending you a private message.

Hempdiddy. If you would be so kind and tell me a little about your background I would appreciate it. I too am an applicant for Columbia MSRED this year and the suspense is killing me. I have over 7 years of direct development experience as role of principal developer and have been involved in various projects at different capacities totaling over 4 Billion dollars.

I still havent heard from Columbia and they keep telling by April 1...

I believe all the Columbia notification went out... and here's why:

To GK83,

You're in the same boat as me. But did you know...(?) you'll have to give your response (and deposit) to Columbia as to whether you accept or not prior to you knowing if you were accepted at MIT. MIT won't notify, most likely, until April 1st but Columbia is requiring your acceptence response (according to thier acceptance notification letter) by March 27th.

This desicion will also have to be made prior to you recieving your financial aid package as well.

Interesting.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Real estate/MSRED MSRED at Columbia
    Student Commons
    Replies: 96
    Last post: 06 Jan 2014, 11:46 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 17 Mar 2011, 2:10 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Feb 2009, 3:51 PM