Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: New format for Planning Magazine cover

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

New format for Planning Magazine cover

What, no comments so far?

Not too shabby, IMHO. A definite improvement.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I like it. Although it would be better if I was on the cover every month like Oprah on O Magazine.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    I noticed the new format. I always hated the old covers with the stories blasted all over the front...if I want to know what's in the mag, I'll open it up! It's a professional magazine, not one they are trying to sell in a news stand.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I always hated the old covers with the stories blasted all over the front...if I want to know what's in the mag, I'll open it up! It's a professional magazine, not one they are trying to sell in a news stand.
    Hmmmm...anyone here with good photoshopping skillz? Could the previous design of Planning possibly have been any worse?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop View post
    I like it. Although it would be better if I was on the cover every month like Oprah on O Magazine.
    Chairman Mao would be more appropriate.

But yes, an improvement.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I think the cover and the formatting of the entire magazine is a vast improvement. Much cleaner to read. It looks much more professional.

Registered
    May 2005
    Now if only the content could be a little meatier...

I do think the layout is a big improvement. But I also think the publication is a little too l-i-t-e for a professional magazine. I'm not looking for a scholarly journal, but something a bit more in-depth and substantial would be welcome. It seems to be written for non-planning people to convince them planning is cool. But if you get the magazine, you are a member and presumably know a thing or two about planning already.

My two shekels
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I haven't been an APA member for many years, but it always seemed to me that the APA Journal was far superior to (and more informative than) the magazine, and it annoyed me that I had to pay extra for it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Now if only the content could be a little meatier...

I do think the layout is a big improvement. But I also think the publication is a little too l-i-t-e for a professional magazine. I'm not looking for a scholarly journal, but something a bit more in-depth and substantial would be welcome. It seems to be written for non-planning people to convince them planning is cool. But if you get the magazine, you are a member and presumably know a thing or two about planning already.

My two shekels
    I totally agree. My favorite issue is the Conference edition. But now that I don't get to go every year, that has even lost its lustre.

BTW Cardinal if you see this, can I get my 20+ years of Planning magazines last I left behind, or did you bonfire them? Not that I will never look at them, I just didnt want to reload the mail cart for another trip out to the car....

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I haven't been an APA member for many years, but it always seemed to me that the APA Journal was far superior to (and more informative than) the magazine, and it annoyed me that I had to pay extra for it.
    Exactly! My annual dues for the Trust for Historic Preservation is only $25 as an individual (compared to $150 for APA). They also put on a big annual conference and have a very comparable magazine. So, where is the extra APA $$ going if I can't even get the Journal as part of my annual dues?!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmmm

Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Exactly! My annual dues for the Trust for Historic Preservation is only $25 as an individual (compared to $150 for APA). They also put on a big annual conference and have a very comparable magazine. So, where is the extra APA $$ going if I can't even get the Journal as part of my annual dues?!
    CHINA
    It should be easy to get our hands on the budget breakdown for APA and AICP as members right?
    Last edited by The One; 08 Jan 2009 at 5:01 PM. Reason: Ask me again.....I dare you....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I would comment that the format change of the cover is definitely improvement.

Would agree that the substance needs to be a bit more meaty. I don't need a sidebar on "Minnesota Nice."
    “I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward.” - Thomas Edison

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Bah....

Humbug.....

I was REALLY hoping for a photoshop contest among Cyburbians for what Planning Magazines cover should REALLY look like......Mine would simply have a HUGE $ sign on the cover with no other identification at all.....no price, no nothing....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Long on looks, short on content. It's perfect for APA.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Humbug.....

I was REALLY hoping for a photoshop contest among Cyburbians for what Planning Magazines cover should REALLY look like......Mine would simply have a HUGE $ sign on the cover with no other identification at all.....no price, no nothing....
    Maybe with a tag line at the bottom along the lines of "Not that we're of any use to you anyway..."

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Can you actually read the fonts now??? Awesome.

Registered
    Sep 2008
    Not only does the new cover look great, APA seems to be redoing their whole approach and program. (The upgraded website www.planning.org is much better.) I can greatly appreciate it. In the digital age and as the Boomers retire, APA NEEDED an overhaul if they wanted the younger generation of planners to use the APA as a professional information and networking resource. I am very happy with APA's continued effort to bring themselves up to speed. Now, if we can get the state chapters to follow suit, that would be the next thing the organization could do. Either new blood or new ideas, it's time to let the young ones learn from the older, wiser planners, but help mold and shift the state organizations into the 21st century.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by planner.tk View post
    Not only does the new cover look great, APA seems to be redoing their whole approach and program. (The upgraded website www.planning.org is much better.) I can greatly appreciate it. In the digital age and as the Boomers retire, APA NEEDED an overhaul if they wanted the younger generation of planners to use the APA as a professional information and networking resource. I am very happy with APA's continued effort to bring themselves up to speed. Now, if we can get the state chapters to follow suit, that would be the next thing the organization could do. Either new blood or new ideas, it's time to let the young ones learn from the older, wiser planners, but help mold and shift the state organizations into the 21st century.
    They need to do it in a less bureaucratic and more cost friendly manner and rely less on mandates and soft extortion tactics.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 25
    Last post: 17 Apr 2012, 8:40 AM
  2. APA Planning Magazine
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Mar 2011, 9:34 AM
  3. Replies: 44
    Last post: 30 Mar 2009, 4:03 PM
  4. Planning ... see the cover?
    Friday Afternoon Club