Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Vague Thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

Teh Vague Thread

I've got two questions and I'm hoping y'all might have some answers.

1. You know, why did they set up so many DIFFERENT things the same way? I mean, if things are that different it seems they should have a really different sort of way to set it up, shouldn't they?

2. Ever since the Powers That Be went through that period of time where they made all those bad decisions, nothing has gone right. Why do you suppose they did that in the first place?

Also, I (and probably a number of other folks) am happy to provide answers to any vague questions you might have.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Can you be more specific?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Just what are you asking about anyway ?

Just so you know the answer is always 42.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 1998
    So why are calculator buttons in opposite positions than for phones?

Registered
    May 2005
    Maister, you need to understand that the sameness of the differences essentially required a de facto common response. Otherwise, the sameness would have become so different as to be unmanageable.

As for those bad decisions, I think it was mostly a PR stunt. Since a lot of it happened in the '70s, they may have confused colloquial meanings of "bad" that actually mean "good" and therefore ushered in a whole slew of bad decisions that WERE bad, but not "bad." That's what happens when government tries to be hip...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2006

What is this "vague" that you refer to?

In reply to question number one, I've been assured that while there may be appear to be many different things set up the same way that they are, in fact, set up differently although that may not be apparent to the untrained eye.

As for number two, those people spent a lot of time, much of it at their own expense, to ensure that all the solutions were equitable for everyone and, if you really appreciated that fact, you would not refer to them as "bad decisions".

I'm sure that others can provide affirmation and documentation as well.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Maister, you need to understand that the sameness of the differences essentially required a de facto common response. Otherwise, the sameness would have become so different as to be unmanageable.
    I'm in general agreement with this BUT for the fact that in many instances the mode (not necessarily the mean and definitely not the average) of that quotient of difference hardly warrants the commonality found in the responses. This can be measured in a number of different ways. I'm sure you merely overlooked this consideration.

Quote Originally posted by ofos
    As for number two, those people spent a lot of time, much of it at their own expense, to ensure that all the solutions were equitable for everyone and, if you really appreciated that fact, you would not refer to them as "bad decisions".
    Why does this response coming from you not surprise me one bit? I don't know how you could characterize some of their solutions as 'equitable' when you consider that the grossest injustices to those least able to deal with the situation resulting from those decisions far outweighs the rather meagre benefits offered to the numerically larger group of people who 'benefitted' (and I use that term loosely) from them. And another thing......what about all those times when things didn't work out the way they planned. I suppose you're going to tell us that all of those unforseen circumstances got in the way of success and there was no way they could reasonably have been anticipated? Quit while you're ahead.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I can't remember the name of that piece of entertainment with the guy from that show with the people who walked around and talked to each and wore clothing.

Do you know?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    I can't remember the name of that piece of entertainment with the guy from that show with the people who walked around and talked to each and wore clothing.

Do you know?
    Oh wait a minute I know this, it's on the tip of my tongue....wasn't that the same one where the other guys in that piece of entertainment were also involved in a very similar form of entertainment (and I'm pretty sure it involved some women who were clothed and talked too) what was that called.....oh this is killing me, it's right there. Maybe someone else can recall? I know exactly what you're talking about, though.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Why does this response coming from you not surprise me one bit? I don't know how you could characterize some of their solutions as 'equitable' when you consider that the grossest injustices to those least able to deal with the situation resulting from those decisions far outweighs the rather meagre benefits offered to the numerically larger group of people who 'benefitted' (and I use that term loosely) from them. And another thing......what about all those times when things didn't work out the way they planned. I suppose you're going to tell us that all of those unforseen circumstances got in the way of success and there was no way they could reasonably have been anticipated? Quit while you're ahead.

This is exactly, more or less, the kind of thing you never, usually, see reported in the mainstream media.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    And another thing......what about all those times when things didn't work out the way they planned. I suppose you're going to tell us that all of those unforseen circumstances got in the way of success and there was no way they could reasonably have been anticipated? Quit while you're ahead.
    Oh, that's easy for you to say! Especially knowing that you actively campaigned to promulgate insinuation of machiavellian malfeasance and misconduct to further deflect criticism from your own paltry efforts to promote a plethora of platitudinous and pusillanimous positions. For shame!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    It is still kinda, lika, sorta you know.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Oh wait a minute I know this, it's on the tip of my tongue....wasn't that the same one where the other guys in that piece of entertainment were also involved in a very similar form of entertainment (and I'm pretty sure it involved some women who were clothed and talked too) what was that called.....oh this is killing me, it's right there. Maybe someone else can recall? I know exactly what you're talking about, though.
    It's coming to me, too...I think, but, this may be apocryphal, I think it involved more...you know...those people that delighted in those things with hinged edges and acid washed finishes.

Ya know, right?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Oh, that's easy for you to say! Especially knowing that you actively campaigned to promulgate insinuation of machiavellian malfeasance and misconduct to further deflect criticism from your own paltry efforts to promote a plethora of platitudinous and pusillanimous positions. For shame!
    Would it be too much to ask you to stay on topic? You make it sound like this is all about ME. All the Byzantine machinations of your silopsisticly slanted stratagems only prove how desperately devoid of dunnage your dulcet and demeaning detractions truly are.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post

Do you know?
    The one starring Rory Calhoun standing and walking? No, I can't recall either...

And Maister, where did you learn your math, at an all-ages Canadian dance party!? The problem clearly requires that you invert the quotient as an integer of the mode's root. Its calculus, not rocket science! "Quotient of difference" indeed - feh!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Maybe.
    Possibly.
    Probably.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Maister, you really need to ask that guy, you know, the guy with the hair and the big what'cha-ma-callit. He lives just down the street from that lady that does that thing. Anyway, it is kind of a big house with a bush in front. There is a car parked out front. I think it is red. Maybe.

Anyway, you should ask him. He has been a big help to me whenever I have had a question like yours. If he doesn't know, don't sweat it. Because I know that he knows a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy who can help you. He went to a fancy college back East somewhere, with ivy growing all over the buildings and lots of pretty coeds wearing emo glasses. You know the one I am talking about? If you don't know, ask that guy. He will remember or he will know a guy who knows.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006

Moi Off Topic?

Would it be too much to ask you to stay on topic? You make it sound like this is all about ME. All the Byzantine machinations of your silopsisticly slanted stratagems only prove how desperately devoid of dunnage your dulcet and demeaning detractions truly are.
    Of all the accusations of topical vaguity, this is the most amorphous, blurred, dim, doubtful, fuzzy, generalized, hazy, ill-defined, imprecise, indefinite, indeterminate, indistinct, lax, loose, nebulous, obscure, shadowy, uncertain, unclear, unknown, unspecified, and woolly misrepresentation.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    If you don't know, ask that guy. He will remember or he will know a guy who knows.
    I owe you a debt of gratitude that I may or may not be able to ever repay depending on the degree of helpfulness your advice generally provided.

Quote Originally posted by wahday
    The problem clearly requires that you invert the quotient as an integer of the mode's root
    Well duh. I, however, was referring only to those sets of real integers that are non-prime subsets of their own squared cotangents.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Well duh. I, however, was referring only to those sets of real integers that are non-prime subsets of their own squared cotangents.
    You make otterpop's point for him with this statement. Did you think we wouldn't notice? Sheesh. The whole context of the thing demands this in a way.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The only thing that I can think of when I read this thread is that you all may sort of be making fun of my comments, or some of my comments, or my writing style, or how I sometime break off topics into a tangent, you know what I mean? Think others do this too, but I'm not sure you know?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    The only thing that I can think of when I read this thread is that you all may sort of be making fun of my comments, or some of my comments, or my writing style, or how I sometime brak off topics into a tangent. Think others do this too, but I'm not sure you know?
    While I can't speak for everyone or even some of those who may or may not have participated in this or other threads related by synergy of activity, I can conclusively demonstrate that none were or are or might have participated in any way to reach beyond the disambiguation so urgently sought when dispersing knowledgeable fragments relating to a proclivity for nominative acclimation of transient thoughts.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Wait a minute, it has to be that guy whose song is on the radio and he sings at the same time as he plays his instrument. You know the song has a good beat and when you hear it you know exactly who it is.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Excuse me, is this the Things That Make Your Brain Hurt(tm) thread?

Registered
    May 2005
    Oh, you mean all the pretty ones...

I'm not sure if it is or isn't, but one thing I do know for sure is that it will make it through the winter, even if left outside. And don't worry, the color will come back if you add some vinegar.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 11 ... LastLast