Urban planning community

Poll results: What About Them ?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Have you seen, light, released one ?

6 33.33%
  • They are banned in many states don't you know ?

4 22.22%
  • I want some ?

3 16.67%
  • This is 'merica don't be telling me what I can or can't do ?

5 27.78%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sky Lanterns ?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Sky Lanterns ?

They are banned in many states don't you know ?

Fire danger

bans include California, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia and Washington,
    Last edited by JNA; 18 Aug 2014 at 9:51 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The one time I used them it got stuck in a tree. Luckily we got it down before anything happened, although I'd guess it would of just burned itself out.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Seems like a bad idea. Where do they land? In the forest? In someone's front yard? On top of a big box store? Seems like litter floating on flames...

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

ArtPrize 2012

The entry folks first stated that there would be a couple thousand...

More pics here
    https://www.google.com/search?q=art+...w=1024&bih=686

While he describes it as “one of the nicest, most beautiful things we’ve had happen in Grand Rapids,” City Manager Greg Sundstrom also was “quite upset” to see 15,000 sky lanterns aloft downtown on Friday, Sept. 28.

He and the event organizers behind the entry that placed fifth in this year’s ArtPrize said they agreed that the launch would include only 2,500 lanterns...

Mayor George Heartwell said he worried for a few moments during the event that lanterns he saw launched on the east side of the Grand River could inflame a building.

“I’m thankful the event came off,” he said. “The event was spectacular and I’d approve it again, but we thought we had a set of protective measures in place and they violated the agreement. We did what we could to mitigate the risks.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've seen them, and agree - floating, flaming litter.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I've seen them and agree they're a potential fire waiting to happen. They do look cool, though.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    We see them every year despite all the warnings that they come down and light up wheat fields in a second. Still pretty though.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Only seen them in videos. Banned in NH.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    The entry folks first stated that there would be a couple thousand...

More pics here
    https://www.google.com/search?q=art+...w=1024&bih=686

While he describes it as “one of the nicest, most beautiful things we’ve had happen in Grand Rapids,” City Manager Greg Sundstrom also was “quite upset” to see 15,000 sky lanterns aloft downtown on Friday, Sept. 28.

He and the event organizers behind the entry that placed fifth in this year’s ArtPrize said they agreed that the launch would include only 2,500 lanterns...

Mayor George Heartwell said he worried for a few moments during the event that lanterns he saw launched on the east side of the Grand River could inflame a building.

“I’m thankful the event came off,” he said. “The event was spectacular and I’d approve it again, but we thought we had a set of protective measures in place and they violated the agreement. We did what we could to mitigate the risks.”
    It was an amazing site. We were eating dinner at B-dubs in downtown and watched as they filled the sky.

To my knowledge, even though the number of lanterns more than doubled, there was no issues and no homes caught on fire. However that is not always the case. LINK
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We were sitting on the beach on 4th of July when some neighbors a few houses down let a few of them off and I thought they looked pretty but both my MIL and FIL made repeated comments about the fire risk, especially since they seemed to float out a bit over the lake and then eventually drift back towards the shore and the houses each time.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread