Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Teh Vague Thread

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    This thread reminds me of that silly Monty Python skit.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    What do they call those things that, you know, do all that stuff like you see on those tv commercials? And just so there's no misunderstanding, I'm talking about the really good ones, not those lame-arsed ones.

Registered
    Mar 2004

A vague response....

You need to remember that IT IS WHAT IT IS and once you realize this, you can move on to the important task of setting goals and meeting deadlines. They are who they are and in most cases that's a good thing. If you think outside the box and redifine the paradigm, you might be able to adjust the reality of your situation. Look beyond the short term solution and gauge your response based on long term aspirations and needs. If you end up dealing with a person who has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel, just wait a little longer and things will most likely work out just fine.

This post is dedicated to RJ
    Skilled Adoxographer

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

And Furthermore

This thread borders on the lame. Almost as lame as that one thread that somebody told you about once long ago on a planet far away near the thing that wouldn't go home because of the queesy.

As that one actor said in that one great movie, "But that's another story."

And it was, or actually it wasn't but I was sure it was, at least until the quo.

Bear (or somebody like him, maybe, on account of)
    Occupy Cyburbia!

The first thing to know is that there's no first thing to know. It's like the old "which came first, the chicken or the egg?" -- even though one of those ancient philosophers argued that it had to be the chicken because 'without the chicken the egg only had the possibility of becoming a chicken' thing I guess. Which reminds me, Paul Simon wrote "Mother and Child Reunion" after seeing chicken and eggs on a breakfast menu in some diner somewhere. Everybody raves about the movie 'Diner' but I guess I just didn't get it, which isn't really surprising since I'm sort of out of touch with modern culture. Like I was saying I think string theory really kind of holds the basis of where we came from and where we were when things kind of became knowable except that there weren't any creatures out there then that had the ability to know. Anyway, he or she that has the most knows at the end get to call the dance and pay the fiddler or something like that. There's this Starving Artist art sale this weekend with gi-Hugic oil paintings for sale and I'm thinking 'bout checking it out --absolutely nothing more than $59. This could be the first thing I do to start my domination of my neighborhood. You can't win the Battle of Gettysburg without winning the First Day, you know? My dad always said that and he was RIGHT ABOUT EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    "There are known things; ther are things we know we know. We also know there and known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know."

Donald Rumsfeld
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    ^^Invaded my personal epiphany.

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Blog entries

But it goes to eleven

It must be louder, it goes to eleven...I mean really...it's so simple...

Personally though, you have to have some goals, because that's what will help you form objectives, and working towards objectives is how you succeed, isn't it? So go out and get yourself a few goals and then use them to set those objectives...which will lead you to achieve your goal and then you will have succeeded, and that means you'll be happy -- HooRaaaayyy!

Otherwise, you might as well file for unemployment and have a few beers, but I bet while you're relaxing and enjoying your down time you'll begin to fantasize about happyness, and then, well, there you're off again, setting goals and working towards objectives...

You might even try to be a contrarian, but even so, to try that means you have to plan and set a goal or two...so there you have it again -- trapped by the human desire to seek happyness and our genetic predisposition to the herd mentality of the rat race.

I say chuck it all, turn it up to eleven, and rock the goals right out of your brain...it's kind of like washing clothes but funner, and enjoy the entropy until you sober up and decide to pursue happyness again.
    "Sometimes you have to get medieval with it...hammer, sparks, sweat, the whole nine yards...so don't forget your asbestos suit."
    Aphorisms on Public Hearings, Planning Guild Handbook (2001).

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Somebody mentioned that that one thread was dull. They mentioned it just after the clock clicked to some number.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I am inside.
    Oddball

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Don't you hate when animals mess things up or create situations?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What do you do when um you know um that thingy um does um you know what ?
    Oddball

Registered
    Aug 1997
    It's another day, isn't it?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I heard there was something going today, but I forgot what it was. Does anybody know? I'm pretty sure it was something interesting, or profound.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    I heard there was something going today, but I forgot what it was. Does anybody know? I'm pretty sure it was something interesting, or profound.
    Yeah, I heard that too. I believe it's going on downtown.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    It is! I read about it. I went last year and it was great. ----But for the life of me, I can't remember which downtown. I remember the sidewalks, trees, and--oh! There were some rather large buildings-- ya know-- the ones that are distinctly different in size and scale than in the suburban areas and have that "it" that you just can't miss. I'm sure someone will know where I'm talking about. One thing is for sure, most people never forget it when they've been there and are surely to remember when they picture it.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    It is! I read about it. I went last year and it was great. ----But for the life of me, I can't remember which downtown. I remember the sidewalks, trees, and--oh! There were some rather large buildings-- ya know-- the ones that are distinctly different in size and scale than in the suburban areas and have that "it" that you just can't miss. I'm sure someone will know where I'm talking about. One thing is for sure, most people never forget it when they've been there and are surely to remember when they picture it.
    I can see it from my house!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    How do you get there ?
    Oddball

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    How do you get there ?
    Easy. Just go down the main drag for a ways and then turn at the second major intersection. There's a bunch of different buildings around there. Can't miss it.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Easy. Just go down the main drag for a ways and then turn at the second major intersection. There's a bunch of different buildings around there. Can't miss it.
    No, there's construction over there on the main drag. Instead, you need to go over on the street past the big church, then turn left and go a few blocks, this street will turn into that street, and dump you out where you want to go with no stoplights, if you don't get lost.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    All I have to say on the topic is that the state of nullibicity is quite the place to be. Have you been there. Some have been there while others wish they could. Once my mother was there. She took some others with her. Do you remember them? They were the ones from across the street. South I think. Or maybe it was some other direction. They had a dog was it mean or nice? I can't remember, can you?
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B View post
    All I have to say on the topic is that the state of nullibicity is quite the place to be.
    Do you leave the same way that got you there ?
    Oddball

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Yes, definitely.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Do you leave the same way that got you there ?
    Sometimes but not always, it just depends.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast