Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Certificate programs in planning?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008

Certificate programs in planning?

Does anyone know of any certificate programs in planning? I've seen them for planning specialties, but those are for people with planning degrees already
    I have my MLA and you can work in planning with that degree but I may be interested in getting a certificate in planning
    i live in southern california but if you know of one someone else, please let me know because i'd like to see more about what they are about in general
    thanks!

Registered
    Nov 2008
    A GIS cert might be a good way to go. Those programs are pretty common and are often through state schools (cheaper tuition). It's not planning, but it is an important tool planners use, so it might give you a leg up. I wanted more GIS instruction from my MLA, so I am thinking about doing one of those in a year or two.

Also, it could open the door to GIS jobs. That might not be the best alternative for an MLA, but it beats working at Starbucks.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Rutgers has an on-line certificate program.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    The Ohio State, Kansas State
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Rutgers has an on-line certificate program.
    do you have a link for this? i found their certificate programs but they don't appear to be online

and thanks everyone for the suggestions....I am actually signed up for a GIS class through community college this semester because I have no GIS experience

Registered
    Mar 2002
    For Rutgers, try this: http://policy.rutgers.edu/pdi/bocep/
    It's their continuing education program, but they give certificates.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    UCR, UCSD and Cal State Fullerton all offer certificates in urban planning through the university extensions (links below).

UCR - http://www.extension.ucr.edu/certifi...uirements.html
    UCSD - http://extension.ucsd.edu/programs/i...StudyAreaID=18
    CSUF- http://www.csufextension.org/Classes...x?GN=3386&GV=1

I took a GIS course through the UCSD Extension and was very happy with the level of instruction provided.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    and now the question, if I already have an MLA but want to work in planning, would it be worth it to get the certificate? just to have that bit more of education and knowledge

Registered
    Oct 2007
    UC Davis also has a Land Use & Natural Resources certificate.

http://extension.ucdavis.edu/unit/la...ral_resources/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by HRose View post
    and now the question, if I already have an MLA but want to work in planning, would it be worth it to get the certificate? just to have that bit more of education and knowledge
    Before you run off and get a certificate, first find out if employers will look favorably on the certificate (meaning would they would seriously hire you over someone with an MUP everything else being equal). Second, find out which MUP programs would honor the certificate (and count your hours towards a degree). It would be a waste of your time and money pursuing a certificate if everyone still wants the MUP.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Aug 2009
    San Jose State offers certificates that can be applied toward your Master's. Most of the classes are in the evening, which makes it convenient if you have a day job. If I was close enough, I would look into that.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    Before you run off and get a certificate, first find out if employers will look favorably on the certificate (meaning would they would seriously hire you over someone with an MUP everything else being equal). Second, find out which MUP programs would honor the certificate (and count your hours towards a degree). It would be a waste of your time and money pursuing a certificate if everyone still wants the MUP.
    I posted this a while ago and have since been focusing myself on gaining experience through my planning internship at a local city...but I was never planning on getting a MUP...I have an MLA and was thinking of getting a certificate to understand planning better (and possibly it would good on a resume combined with the MLA)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 25 Jun 2012, 1:23 PM
  2. GIS certificate programs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 21 May 2011, 1:54 AM
  3. Graduate certificate programs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 24 May 2007, 5:46 PM