Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GRE... ugh

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008

GRE... ugh

Hi all! I am applying to 4 graduate schools for Fall 2009.

University of Colorado - Denver
    University of Illinois - Chicago
    University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
    Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

UC - Denver is my top top top choice. If you have below a 3.0 it says GRE scores are strongly recommended. Thankfully, I have above a 3.0 (3.21 to be exact).

I took the GRE today anyways, as many other schools require it. I did... okay. My total score (not including writing) was 1150. I got a 510 on the verbal and 640 on the quantitative. Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed with my verbal. Is it worth taking the GRE again to increase that or should I just focus on my applications, statement of purpose, etc.

Again, my top choice (UC - Denver) doesn't even require the GRE... I submitted my scores there anyways (free). Will it hurt my chances with such a low verbal?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm.....

I'm doubtful your GRE scores will hurt you....but it could help to call them up and ask. This will show more than just a passing interest to get into the program and you will most likely find out you'll be fine. Make sure you talk to the right person/professor/dean

Good top choice by the way
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Based on the schools you mentioned, I don't think your GRE scores will hurt your chances of acceptance, however, depending on how each school ranks applications for funding, you may take a back seat to those with higher GREs / GPAs depending on your experience, statement of purpose and letters of rec.
    "Try to be in two incredibly successful bands. If not, that's okay." -- Words to live by, courtesy of Dave Grohl

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    What about schools that have required minimum GRE scores? How strict are they with that? UNC requires 50th% in both Q/V sections. I have just below 50th in Q, and my V is 560. Would I be wasting money if I applied? (they have all the necessary info...I just need to pay the fee). I have killer recs, good work experience, top 25 undergrad...etc. It seems like they would reject me instantly...but who knows.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Victory View post
    What about schools that have required minimum GRE scores? How strict are they with that? UNC requires 50th% in both Q/V sections. I have just below 50th in Q, and my V is 560. Would I be wasting money if I applied? (they have all the necessary info...I just need to pay the fee). I have killer recs, good work experience, top 25 undergrad...etc. It seems like they would reject me instantly...but who knows.
    I have a similar issue with respect to GPA. My impression is that those minimums are more of a recommendation than an absolute requirement, but it's probably a good idea to talk with someone in the department to be sure.

I think as long as the other parts of your application are strong, you'd have a good shot at being admitted. I think it's very unlikely that not meeting the minimum would result in the application not being considered at all.

I would strongly recommend calling each school and asking, particularly if the GRE score is NOT required, because average scores tend to be a little higher at those schools. The GRE is optional for one of the schools I'm applying to, and the admissions guidelines advise only submitting scores above 60%. This was strongly supported by the department's secretary (who sees all the applications and knows who gets in) at the workshop I attended.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Generally there is no prescribed score that you need to have. If there is, there is probably a little flexibility in it since it's just a small part of the overall application. I had an 1100 combined with a 5.0 on the writing and I was admitted to everywhere I applied in 2006. Good luck!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread