Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Urban planning or urban design?

Registered
    Jan 2009

Urban planning or urban design?

I graduated with Bach. of architecture and have 6+ experience in the field.
    And almost done with ARE.
    However, I want to change my carrier as a planner, since I want to work on a larger scale.
    I am planning to apply GSD, but not sure which program I should apply, either MUP or MAUD?

Would you give me any advice to me?
    Thanks.

Registered
    Dec 2007
    Urban Planning is largely policy based, and Urban Design is, well design based.

I would say, that with your Arch. degree, you have a good concept of how to design. I would look for a planing program that offers a design track - or has a parallel LA component.

Registered
    Jan 2009

Design vs Planning

So I am thinking about a career in planning/design and had some thoughts....

If you go and get a MUP can you still be a designer by trade? and Vice versa.

The field is so interdisciplinary that it is hard to tease out one without part of the other. Or at least it seems to me.

Does it depend on the classes offered in the particular program?

I really like the thought of design and I like planning, especially transportation. But I am no Archetect(?) but I do have a background in painting and drawing, but I havent done it in years which is one reason I am drawn (no pun intended) to Urban design and planning. To get back into it.

I guess what Im saying is that right now Im thinking about going and getting an MUP and trying to focus my electives on design/studio experience so that I can land a job with planning with a focus on the design side

I guess thats how I hope it can work. whateva I'll make it work that way!
    Ha

Thanks for reading my self discussion out there!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Jakers View post
    So I am thinking about a career in planning/design and had some thoughts....

If you go and get a MUP can you still be a designer by trade? and Vice versa.

what i've learned on this forum: if you get a design degree (Master of Arch. or Master of Lanscape Arch.) you can be a planner OR a designer. Though with these degrees you are more qualified to design.

on the other hand a Master of Urban Planning doesn't really qualify you to design. you could work for a larger design firm advising on planning aspects of design.

It would seem like your artistic side would make you a good candidate for an architecture/landscape architecture degree.

anyone care to validate my thoughts?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    if i were you, i would get the MUP. you already have the design skills, so if you want to work on a larger scale it might be worth your while to learn more about policy than you would in the MAUD program. if you're talking about the GSD, the urban planning program itself is more designy than normal anyway. plus, pragmatically speaking, if you were torn between the two 50-50 then it would be in your favor to apply for the MUP; it is a bigger program and thus the chances of getting in are much greater.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Jan 2013, 4:14 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 29 May 2009, 3:38 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 13 Mar 2008, 6:05 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 07 Aug 2006, 11:50 PM
  5. Replies: 13
    Last post: 21 Sep 2005, 12:24 AM