Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you going to watch the inauguration?

Are you going to watch the inauguration?

I hope I don't start some heated political discussion on who should have won the presidential race or the quality of the departing president, but I was wondering, are people planning on watching the inauguration?

I made the mistake of making a doctor's appointment for 11:30 next Tuesday. I will hope the doctor is running late and will run home to turn the television on.

To me, this is the reason for a HDTV.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    It's a pageant, a ceremony. No, those don't interest me.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Would your answer have been the same in 1861 or 1865? If no, why?

As for me, yes, I will be watching. These are historic events and this one even more so. I'm looking forward to hearing the new president's oratory.
    Je suis Charlie

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Yes. I will watch it.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Like any inauguration, I'll watch it. It's history in the making, especially with Barack Obama.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I wasn't an Obama supporter but I'll watch as much as I can. My wife has been called for jury duty that day. I find it hard to believe that the courts are going be operating but I'm sure the court will be in recess for at least part of that time.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Yeah I will try to tune in, if only by radio.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I am with Maister on ths one. I watched all the debates with complete interest, and will watch when he talks to the nation about "issues," but this... this is fluff imo. But I sure it will be entertaining fluff, so have fun watching!

[EDIT: I should add that I AM very excited about his presidency though]
    Last edited by H; 13 Jan 2009 at 11:02 AM.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by H View post
    I am with Maister on ths one. I watched all the debates with complete interest, and will watch when he talks to the nation about "issues," but this... this fluff imo. But I sure it will be entertaining fluff, so have fun watching!
    I skipped the debates. I'll take a parade over a charade.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Yup I will watch it on TV and hope the traffic nightmare they are predicting for my area does not come to pass. I figure I am NOT leaving the house next Tuesday.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm going to try to watch though I'll be at work. I suggested setting up TVs somewhere in the building so employees can watch. We'll see what happens.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    No, I won't be watching the coronation on TV, but I have no doubt that it will be on EVERY radio station, regardless of its format.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2005
    No interest in it - I've never watched one, and I see no reason to change that trend.

Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl View post
    Yup I will watch it on TV and hope the traffic nightmare they are predicting for my area does not come to pass. I figure I am NOT leaving the house next Tuesday.
    Heh - my main client (forgetting about the inauguration) tried to schedule a couple of days worth of meetings for next week in Crystal City...I had to gently prod him into reconsidering and moving things to the following week.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I work from home, so I'll be watching out of one eye. I'm Tivo'ing it too.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    My wife has been called for jury duty that day. I find it hard to believe that the courts are going be operating but I'm sure the court will be in recess for at least part of that time.
    Interestingly, Innauguration Day is actually a Federal Holiday... but it only applies to those who work in D.C. or parts of Maryland and VA.

As I work in none of those places, I will be at my desk during the innauguration. I may watch a few minutes of it during my lunch but even as an Obama supporter, it doesn't interest me too much. I am not one for enjoying televised speeches.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Sep 2007
    I think the only inauguration I ever watched was Jimmy Carter, and that was only because they showed it in the classroom.

I won't be watching this one, although I'm sure I'll be pummeled by coverage throughout the day.
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm sure it will be on nearly every station so a little hard to avoid. I am sure I will catch a bit of it here and there but have better things to do than watch it in its entirety.

Where's the poll?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Interestingly, Innauguration Day is actually a Federal Holiday... but it only applies to those who work in D.C. or parts of Maryland and VA.
    Just to get the thousands of Feds off the roads, I'm sure.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Where's the poll?????

Yes.

The NYTimes report on the dress rehearsal mentioned military bands. Here's my chance to hear some good music.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Would your answer have been the same in 1861 or 1865?
    No, but only because I would have liked to have been present any day during Lincoln's Presidency. If given my druthers, though, there are any number of other days where actual historical events occurred that I would much rather have been a historical fly on the wall.

But otherwise I have no particular desire to have witnessed his inauguration per se. Why, you ask?...... It's a pageant, a ceremony. No, those don't interest me.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'll miss it. I have a board meeting in the morning and drug-free workplace training in the afternoon. I'm sure staff will have the TV on in the conference room across the hall from my office.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    ... drug-free workplace training ...
    The mind boggles.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    The mind boggles.
    From drugs at the work place???

I'll probably watch it on the internets. It is a fairly historic inaguration.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Maybe yes, maybe no. We'll see if I remember that it is on.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Have meetings all day - I'll guess I'll catch the highlights that evening. Ought to be fun flipping from CNN to Fox for different takes on the same thing.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 27
    Last post: 26 Aug 2013, 4:55 PM
  2. The Clube-watch thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Nov 2012, 12:30 PM
  3. Anybody out there watch ER
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9